Notices

Old 21 Jun 18, 01:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Week In Bangkok - June 2018: Day 2 - Arrival & Chinatown

Sleep was not of my usual quality on a flight. The Lufthansa seats are notoriously uncomfortable! I probably managed 5-6 hours!

When I woke up I watched I, Tonya about Tonya Harding (not bad but I remember the story so that probably helped! ) and ate the breakfast which was just about edible!

We eventually landed at around 2.40pm - about 5 hours later than I should have!

Immigration wasn't too bad and the suitcase was already there once I had got through. All in all it took less than an hour from landing!

I had researched the possibilities for how to get to the airport and decided on a taxi as the easiest way. I really liked the system which was get a voucher from the machine and wait at the bay indicated. The car came along 1 minute later. The voucher gave you all the taxi's details in case of a problem!

I had printed out the hotel's address in Thai which helped.

The journey took 45m. Traffic was hit and miss. I would hate to drive here - cars, scooters and tuktuks everywhere!

It cost 440bhts plus 75bhts for the tolls. All in all about 15 euros! Well worth it!

I checked in at the Ibis Riverside Hotel. They first gave me a room on the first floor. I had sent an email asking for a high floor. I went to have a look but it was also next to the lift. I went back down and they found me one on the sixth floor. Much better! It is clean, big enough but lacks any drawers!

The wfi is fast but logs you put all the time which is annoying!

I got unpacked, had a shower then decided I should head out to avoid falling asleep!

I could see the river from my window. This was where I needed to go to get a boat across the river!

The ferry across was about a 5m walk through a park from the hotel. It cost 5bhts (about 10p) to cross. I then got the Orange Express boat up the river - another bargain at 15bhts (about 30p).

A lady next to me told me where to get off - though to be honest the stops are all numbered! I followed the crowds on the walk to the Chinatown district, stopping at a 7-11 to get a Pepsi Max (18bht).

I stopped also for an iced decaf coffee at Starbucks - whose prices were mot thart much different to home (105bhts -about 3 euros).

Chinatown was very busy. Lots of side alleys with food stalls.

Somethings looked errrrr interesting (I am a non meat eater )

Others were doing a roaring trade. A lot of them just had a menu in Thai which made it a bit difficult to know what to have.

I did try in one place for mixed veggies but they told me it came with pork. So I declined

I eventually had a shrimp Pad Thai. The noodles were lovely but the shrimp not so so I ate around them. This was only 50bhts - about 1.50 euros!

I continued to wandered around. There were lots of tuktuks hawking for business. I wasn't yet quite brave enough!

The hotel had advised me to get a taxi back - so I did! The first one refused- too far out of his way but the second one took me.

Traffic was bad at points - lots of roadworks. Plus it must have been shift changeover time for the thousands of construction workers who were everywhere along a part of the route.

It cost 79 bhts (about 2,50 euros) for the 15minute trip. Well worth it!

At the hotel I wandered to look at the pool which was still very busy!

Then it was back to the room to get organised for the following day. By 10 I was in bed and soon asleep!

Only 7.5km today! Not bad when you consider I was flying until almost 3pm!

Edited at 01:46 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 21 Jun 18 1:42 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Yay, you have arrived! You managed to do so much after your late arrival. I was planning on using the Blue (tourist) boat- is the orange easy enough to navigate stops ect and do you pay on board?

Taxis seems really reasonable- do they use meters?

Have a great day!

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Phew a bit of a long travel day Mel, but at least you're there safe and sound. It looks amazing and the prices are so low. Hope you slept well and I'm looking forward to the next instalment.
Old 21 Jun 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good start getting out and about on your first night

Joan
Old 21 Jun 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by christybell View Post
Yay, you have arrived! You managed to do so much after your late arrival. I was planning on using the Blue (tourist) boat- is the orange easy enough to navigate stops ect and do you pay on board?

Taxis seems really reasonable- do they use meters?

Have a great day!
The orange boats are easy. At Santhorn where I get on you pay before you get on. There is a table just before! But there is also a person on the boat. All the stops are numbered so it is easy to know where you are. They get you on and off quickly so you need to get to the back before the boat stops.

The taxis have used a meter. There are hundreds of them. Where are you staying in Bangkok?

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Phew a bit of a long travel day Mel, but at least you're there safe and sound. It looks amazing and the prices are so low. Hope you slept well and I'm looking forward to the next instalment.
I slept surprising well! Almost bedtime again! I hope I sleep as well as I have a tour pick up at 6am

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good start getting out and about on your first night

Joan
I knew if I didn’t get out I would fall asleep and my body clock would be completed fried! Nothing like hitting the road running (is that the right saying -I am an expert at mangling my metaphors! Too many years outside the UK!)

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
You do so well at keeping going, to help you adjust to the time difference. I’m usually rubbish at that.

Everything seems a real bargain, but no money on this earth could get me to eat whatever that ‘interesting’ item was in that dish.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Great view, I love that river. You did well to stay awake and get your bearings. It’s nice to hear the prices are still great-it’s over 10 years since we visited and I couldn’t believe the price of things then. I wasn’t brave enough for the tuktuks!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Hi Mel,

I think we are staying just across the river from you at Eastin Grand Sathorn Hotel. Thanks for the info!

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
You do so well at keeping going, to help you adjust to the time difference. I’m usually rubbish at that.

Everything seems a real bargain, but no money on this earth could get me to eat whatever that ‘interesting’ item was in that dish.
I think in this case I knew I had to keep going. In Montreal I never really got on Canadian time - which did help on the way home!

I like to know what I am eating too 😜

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg