Notices

Old 23 Jun 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Week in Bangkok - June 2018: Day 5 - Chatuchak Market

Again I struggled to get to sleep last night - it seems to be the reverse of Montreal! It was past midnight!

I woke up about 7.30am, had a shower and went down to breakfast where I had a fried egg, potatoes, tomatoes and cheese. A strange combination but it filled me up!

I went back to get my stuff and then got the hotel shuttle to the BTS station to get the skytrain to the weekend market at Chatuchak.

This necessitated a change at Siam but was easy enough. This is the largest market in Bangkok and apparently there are over 200,000 visitors every weekend. The stalls are roughly organized into sections.

I soon worked out that if I saw anything I needed to get it then as the place is a rabbit warren and one bit looks much like the next.

Top of the list were magnets for the kids and one of my colleagues. Easily sorted!

I got various bits and pieces (photo later! ) for the kids. I did a bit of bartering but not much as things were pretty cheap and I felt strange bartering something that was only 50bhts in the first place!

I grabbed a freshly squeezed orange juice at one stage as I could feel myself dehydrating! As time wore on it was getting busier and busier and I decided I had everything I could possibly need

Trying to find the exit though took me another 30 minutes...

My plan was then to go to MBK Centre to find lunch as the guidebook gave it a good write up. Somehow I had in my head the wrong station which I only realised once I got there! Whoops!

I decided to grab a Starbucks before catching a train to the right station. I did consider walking but it was too hot!

On the way back to the station I spotted another shrine - this time to Indra - the god of Thunder!

The MBK mall was strange. It had over 2000 shops but small ones! It wasn't what I expected!

Outside there was a Cosplay event. There was a Japanese boy band playing.

And lots of (mainly girls) dressed up in costume. Google it It is obviously a Japanese thing judging from the stalls around.

Very errr different!

I went up to the food court - I laughed seeing the plastic food after the post about cafes today on the Dibb!

You had to put money on a card. I worked out what I wanted, got the card and went back to order an Indian vegetarian plate for 130 bhts (about 4,50 euros).

It was average but filled a hole. Some of the smells from some of the stalls was pretty hideous. It reminded me of a restaurant I often passed when I went to Hong Kong!

It was almost 4pm by now so I made my way back via the Skytrain.

This is my haul - mostly tat but the kids will be happy I thought of them!

I decided to have a restful evening! After organizing my next two days, (and having to go down to reception twice - once to get the batteries changed on the remote control for the TV and the next because my internet stopped working (it isn't great as it us - logs out randomly! )) I went out to search out some food.

Near the hotel us a new small mall. There was a dominos there if all else failed.

I went into the supermarket to find that it was an international supermarket - full of British stuff in particular! I decided to grab some things here to eat back in the hotel!

So some humous, tortilla wraps, salad and yoghurt later I was sorted! It was an easy dinner!

I have again half watched the World Cup!

Pretty easy day tomorrow - back on the tourist trail tomorrow! Only walked 12km!

Edited at 04:01 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 23 Jun 18 3:57 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It’s a shame your having problems sleeping I would think you would be out like a light with all that walking! I hope your restful night with your room picnic gave you a good sleep.
The market sounds interesting. I hated trying to barter as everything just seemed so cheap anyway.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

The market sounds like a really interesting experience. I'm another that can't believe you don't fall over the minute your head hits the pillow with the amount you are doing each day. I'd feel the same about bartering for something that you felt was already cheap.
Old 25 Jun 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another busy day

What’s that old saying “Too tired to sleep”

Joan
Old 25 Jun 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

The market does sound somewhat interesting, I thought the same as you there would be bigger type shops we are popping in there on our 1st dayx
Old 26 Jun 18, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
It’s a shame your having problems sleeping I would think you would be out like a light with all that walking! I hope your restful night with your room picnic gave you a good sleep.
The market sounds interesting. I hated trying to barter as everything just seemed so cheap anyway.
I think I have sorted my sleeping out - just in time for going home!

The market was fun - I think you could get almost anything there!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
The market sounds like a really interesting experience. I'm another that can't believe you don't fall over the minute your head hits the pillow with the amount you are doing each day. I'd feel the same about bartering for something that you felt was already cheap.
I know - hopefully going home will not mess up my sleeping as I land at 10.30pm and I have work the next day...

Bartering is not my strong point!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another busy day

What’s that old saying “Too tired to sleep”

Joan
It may well be that Joan

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
The market does sound somewhat interesting, I thought the same as you there would be bigger type shops we are popping in there on our 1st dayx
The malls are odd - very different than, for example Kuala Lumpur. I visited mainly for the food courts

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List