Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Mar 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Annie17
Very Serious Dibber

it will be virgin LHr-Atl-MCO out and MCO-LGW back

so i would have to clear customs, collect bags and check in to next light, and board

seems like a lot to do in 2 hours

x

Wdw 2013,2016,2018,2019

Engaged 04/09/18 in Magic Kingdom.
Annie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Exactly right. Checkin to the next flight is only dropping your suitcases on a baggage belt.

I have done indirect with as little as 2 hours and I hated the experience trying to herd family along quickly standing in queues getting stressed so I always opt for at least 3 hours I would rather sit having a coffee in the airport relaxing. Than running between gates.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Annie17 View Post
it will be virgin LHr-Atl-MCO out and MCO-LGW back

so i would have to clear customs, collect bags and check in to next light, and board

seems like a lot to do in 2 hours

x
Almost.

You have to clear immigration -> collect bags -> clear customs -> drop off bags -> go through security to get to next gate.

Two hours should be enough but we usually look for a little longer
BarryL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I'm reading some strange answers to this one. If your layover in Atlanta is your first landfall in the USA on the outbound journey you will certainly clear immigration first then collect your baggage and clear customs second. You will then hand your bags back for the next part of your journey. I would be happy with 2.5 hours layover in Atlanta airport, I believe that 2 hours is doable as long as you leave UK on time.
Inbound, you won't see your bags until arrival in UK.

Edited at 02:01 PM.
7SeasSailor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Atlanta is a Delta hub so lots of onflights. I try to make sure I am not on the last flight of the day though.

The 2 hour connection time needs to factor time from touchdown to disembarkation and to the time the gate closes for the next flight. This does not mean that you get 2 hours between getting off the plane and onto the next.

Atlanta is a huge airport not just inside the airport between terminals bit also airside landing to gate is sometimes a significant taxi.

Suggest sign up to your Delta account for them to give you updates on your flight, changes in times and closer to the time gate changes for first and second flights.

US carriers often change their domestic timings a fair bit. For me, if I then got a message that my flight time had changed I would phone Delta and try and swap my onflight aiming for a minute 3 hours changeover. If I did it after they had changed my flight I wouldn't expect to be charged.

If no changes to my flight time I would book seats as far left and front of the plane.as possible, and move at pace to immigration. Factor in taking the people mover (hold on it goes fast) and you should be fine.

If not, any problems I have found Delta to be excellent
They are my preferred carrier. Delta assist on Twitter are good too.

I have done the return connection in 45 mins as no luggage to collect and move.

Edited at 04:02 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I thought you had to collect bags as 1st point of entry to clear Customs. I have always had to so this and have done indirect many times. Surely you need you bags in case Customs want to inspect anything in there?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
I thought you had to collect bags as 1st point of entry to clear Customs. I have always had to so this and have done indirect many times. Surely you need you bags in case Customs want to inspect anything in there?
Yes you do.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarkd3
Getting Excited

Mobile

We did Atlanta as our layover with 3hr 10 to play with, the queues were horrendous and we only just made the connecting delta flight to MCO, very stressful!
we were at the front of the aircraft too following advice from here... some of the immigration lines were shorter depending on your ESTA etc... I wouldn’t chance 2hrs and we defo had to collect bags and drop them back off outbound
Clarkd3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
buzzbuzz
VIP Dibber

we have been via Atlanta a few times and as most people have commented, yes you do have to collect your bags. we have been through with 1 1/2 hours before and made it easily. it is a big airport as previous posters have made reference to. as long as everything is on time you should be fine.
buzzbuzz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
You’ve got me thinking now , we have a 3 hr 5 out . We have the 2 x2 at the back as we like those.
The bubble is available but split 2 then a row then 2 and I’m not keen on the bubble at all, but obviously off quicker .
I would like to stay where we are as I thought we would have enough time to do the connection and don’t mosey once in the airport . We cAn use the immigration kiosks as well . Thoughts anyone ?
There are another 3 flights to Mco after ours. Decision decisions .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List