Notices

Old 21 Dec 16, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 0 Travel Day

The day is finally here!

I didn't sleep well - worrying about missing one of the three alarms set I was up just before 4.30am - the alarms having been set for then.

Got DH up too and we showered and got dressed before getting the kids up. O gad a shower, F had had one last night.

The taxi arrived on time and took us to the airport - we got there at 5.45am!

We did bag drop - two suitcases total weight 32kg! The check in guy was impressed! (And we only have normal sized backpacks as hand luggage (and half of one bag is just F's diabetic supplies)

In the queue J met two if his colleagues - we always met people we know on flights from here!

We headed straight through security. This is the only airport which inspects the diabetes stuff. We had the pens out, the needles etc. We did have a letter but they were ok once they saw it. I complimented them saying it never happens anywhere else which strangely pleased them!

We stopped for breakfast - not much choice here (we work with the airport a lot and are forever telling them that they are missing a trick on the food front - it is effectively horrible coffee and croissants!)

The kids and J had chocolatines whilst I just gad a horrible coffee. Too early for me!

We boarded on time. Flight was probably about 2/3 full.

It was a pleasant crew who loved my bright orange backpack - as they said the kids wouldn't be losing me anytime soon!

The snack was a cream cheese croissant which I had. It was passable!

The flight was uneventful and we landed 5 minutes early at Heathrow!

We transferred to T3, did security then visited the Virgin desk for them to check our docs were in order!

We then installed ourselves in the departure lounge. It is fairly busy!

I went and got coffees and a cookie each for the kids and now we are waiting for it to be a reasonable time to go for lunch!

There was a disagreement over where we had lunch between the kids - one wanted fish and chips ("a proper meal") and the other teriyaki salmon at yo sushi! To keep the peace J took O to Bridge for fish and chips and I went to Yo Sushi where I had a rice ramen thingy - average. But F loved her salmon!

Now we are back to waiting - about 3h45 to take off!

The gate went up an hour before. We were soon boarded - the flight seemed fairly full.
We were on the Dreamliner. It had a nice purple hue and there was plenty of legroom.

We took off on time. I tried to find a film to watch but struggled. The touch screen was very reactive but the choice fairly poor.

Lunch was served about 90 minutes in. I had ordered an Asian veggie option - paneer in a curry sauce with rice. It was tasty. The others had either the veggie pasta or a cheese sandwich (bought in boots! ) The gu was a big hit.

The rest of the time was spent watching tv (I found an Indian film Ka and Ki which I liked a lot).

Afternoon tea was bought round - cheese and pickle sandwiches and crisps.

We eventually landed 10 minutes early and were deplaning by 8pm!

Hurray - nobody there! We were through in the time it took to process us!

Luggage took about 30 minutes and then we headed to the taxi queue. Within 10 minutes we were in a tatty yellow taxi with a driver who didn't have a clue! J came close to losing his rag. I think being at the front didn't help his sense of wellbeing!

70 minutes and a few wrong turns later we were here. Thankfully a quick check in and we headed to our room, found our pjs and hit the beds. O and F were out within seconds!

Edited at 11:32 AM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 16, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Have a fab time Mel. Looking forward to reading more.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 16, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Jo!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 16, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
NatOwls
Imagineer

Cait wait for the rest of this TR!
Safe flight & have a fab trip 👍🏻
NatOwls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hope you had a good flight and are ready for a great time.

Joan 🤶
Old 22 Dec 16, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 22 Dec 16 1:31 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 16, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by NatOwls View Post
Cait wait for the rest of this TR!
Safe flight & have a fab trip 👍🏻
Thanks - we are
safely here! Ready to explore!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 22 Dec 16, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Hope you had a good flight and are ready for a great time.

Joan 🤶
Thanks Joan 😘

Index of my trip reports
Old 27 Dec 16, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Glad your wait at LHR wasn't too much of a pain. At least there's lots to do in T3
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Glad your wait at LHR wasn't too much of a pain. At least there's lots to do in T3
It passed Thank goodness for free wifi!

Index of my trip reports