Notices

Old 27 Dec 17, 05:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 4 Joshua Tree Again

Apologies for the photo overload again

We were all awake by 6am! After showers we were down to breakfast by 7am. Usual things were eaten!

We got our stuff together, J filled our water pouches with the nice iced water in reception and off we went to Joshua Tree National Park.

It was about a 30 minute drive to our first point - the Arches.

We all loved it here - nobody around and for the goats (sorry - children and husband) lots of rock climbing and jumping was done.

There really were some stunning rock formations - this one was over 1 million years old.

We wandered around from rock to rock! It really was so very lovely!

O showed how strong he was...

The others were not impressed!

As the time went on it got warmer and warmer - down to our t-shirts by the return to the car!

We then drove to Desert Queen Mine - a fairly short trail which lead to an old gold mine.

Considering it was only about 8 miles away from our last point it was very different.

We walked down to what looked like the river basin. The openings to the mine were sealed off and no hold was to he found!

After this walk, we drove down a long dusty road to Barker Dam for another loop walk.

Another fabulous place!

With the added bonus of seeing a wild horn sheep (there are apparently a few of them around as there is a water source but we only saw this one. When we told the ranger back at the carpark she was concerned that it was on its own and went down to investigate)

We had been in the park for 4 hours and decided to head to Yukka Valley for lunch. There is nothing at all in the park to eat nor drink.

F wanted Panda Express again - so that's what we had! It was as nice as yesterday but two days on the trot was enough!

We also went to Walmart - we all had odds and sods on our list. We split up and went to get what we needed - in my case socks as I seemed to have had a packing failure on that front!

We also went to Marshalls where O found his favorite Calvin Klein pants and F some tops!

It was then back to the hotel for a short rest!

At 4 we headed back out to see the sunset. We thought we may have mistimed it but we stopped about 10 mikes in and were treated to some spectacular sights!

This us probably my favourite!

F holding up a hidden Mickey Joshua Tree! (You may have to use your imagination a bit )

Lots of climbing done too - even by me!

We then drove to Key's View to catch a look at Palm Springs. It was cold up here (1660m up).

This is looking towards to freeway direction LA.

And Palm Springs! We didn't stay long as it was bitterly cold even wrapped up!

We headed to Dominos and got two medium pizzas and dome garlic knots. We ate them in the lobby (so as to not stink out our room ) Quite expensive at $40! But tasty!

Now O and J are back downstairs studying - J has a professional exam in January and O is working on his gps and tetanic plates project!

Tomorrow morning will be back in the park before heading back yo San Diego!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 05:37 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 27 Dec 17 4:37 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

More stunning photos. The sky is mesmerizing. Looks like you are having loads of fun. I spent Boxing Day in my new pj's watching Arthur Christmas and all the recorded Christmas tv from Christmas Day. I know where I'd rather have been!
Old 27 Dec 17, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Great day! Love your sunset shots.
Old 27 Dec 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Glad the goats had fun climbing today. Love all the photos especially the stunning sunset ones
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

More incredible scenery and a fab day outdoors - looks wonderful
And with Panda and Pizza ... Perfect !
Sunsets look amazing.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Great photos - sunset and night ones especially. The view across the valley at night looks amazing.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Some fantastic photos another great day

Joan
Old 28 Dec 17, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Love love love Joshua Tree NP!
We were there last year and were blown away by the landscapes, the rock formations, the plant life and the wildlife. Photo opportunities at literally every step!

Loved your photos hehe we have very similar ones and it brought back our memories! But we didn't do sunset there. Amazing photos, thanks for sharing!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Stunning photos, looks like you all had a great day.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List