Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 16 Feb 17, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lynds1983 View Post
Hi

Can I ask what this actually is?
You start off with a tour of some of the animals in what used to be the Pangani trail - you are given a headset and one of the CMs talks to you about the animals (the park is also open at this time).

The next part id the best - you go into a private trail behind the scenes, through all the trees and bushes etc on foot, and get closer to the animals than you would do on the safari ride, plus the opportunity to watch them being fed, and longer to take pictures. part of that involves crossing a rope bridge made to look like a very rickety bridge, but in fact very safe (you wear a safety harness that is clipped onto a rope above you) and get to walk over the crocodiles etc -- you can look down through the gaps in the bridge and see them!). You also take a safari truck around a similar route to the safari ride, but again, with much more time to take pictures, you stop when you see something interesting, and the CMs are on board to educate you. Finally you have a nice little lunch on the Serengeti, with binoculars to view the animals.

All our party loved it - it was expensive, but worth it, an amazing experience for both adults and the kids.
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeC1964
Very Serious Dibber

I just ran Disney to get prices for my date in August.

For the afternoon sessions (from 11:45 onwards) it is $139 plus tax, for the morning sessions it is $201 plus tax.

So, in pounds at today's exchange rate, that means the cost for the four of us would be £688 or £476. I had planned on doing one of the early sessions, but I'm not wondering whether it is really worth the extra £200?

I guess the issue with the pm sessions is more of a chance of rain and possibly not as many animal encounters during the heat of the day? For those who have been on the pm session what was your experience?
Old 27 Feb 17, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by MikeC1964 View Post
I just ran Disney to get prices for my date in August.

For the afternoon sessions (from 11:45 onwards) it is $139 plus tax, for the morning sessions it is $201 plus tax.

So, in pounds at today's exchange rate, that means the cost for the four of us would be £688 or £476. I had planned on doing one of the early sessions, but I'm not wondering whether it is really worth the extra £200?

I guess the issue with the pm sessions is more of a chance of rain and possibly not as many animal encounters during the heat of the day? For those who have been on the pm session what was your experience?
I did the 11.45 session with my father in law last year in August and would happily do it again.

Animals were active on the safari and even saw some that we hadn't seen on an early morning safari on a different day.

The way I looked at it was it's around 3 hours in total, so if you start at 11.45 you'll be finished before 3, so less likely to hit a thunderstorm (although they could be at any time).

You have to get there earlier than the start time so you can get kitted up (vest/harness/ear piece etc) so you can leave at your start time

I don't think we missed out in any way by going on that slot as opposed to an earlier one. Also as you're the first group out your not lagging behind anyone or having to wait before you can move on

Edited at 11:11 PM.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 17, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeC1964
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I did the 11.45 session with my father in law last year in August and would happily do it again.

Animals were active on the safari and even saw some that we hadn't seen on an early morning safari on a different day.

The way I looked at it was it's around 3 hours in total, so if you start at 11.45 you'll be finished before 3, so less likely to hit a thunderstorm (although they could be at any time).

You have to get there earlier than the start time so you can get kitted up (vest/harness/ear piece etc) so you can leave at your start time

I don't think we missed out in any way by going on that slot as opposed to an earlier one. Also as you're the first group out your not lagging behind anyone or having to wait before you can move on
I must admit I'm coming round to the idea now. I suppose the only downer of going later is doing it in the heat of the day, but from what I've ready the guides are pretty good at helping you deal with that - ice packs and drinks etc.
Old 28 Feb 17, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

I must admit I'm coming round to the idea now. I suppose the only downer of going later is doing it in the heat of the day, but from what I've ready the guides are pretty good at helping you deal with that - ice packs and drinks etc.
To be honest I didn't find it any hotter than being elsewhere in the parks at that sort of time. You're kept well hydrated (regular water fill ups) and get the ice towel when on the safari. Also part of the walk is under tree cover so you're shaded, so not standing out in the sun for hours and you're under cover for lunch (you can go onto the viewing deck overlooking the savannah which isn't covered)
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeC1964
Very Serious Dibber

Can I just check when the the food is served? Is it during the trip or at the end? I'm planning to book the 11:45 trip and I'm trying to figure out food timings for the rest of the day. If the whole experience is about three hours does that include the food as well?
Old 12 Mar 17, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Can I just check when the the food is served? Is it during the trip or at the end? I'm planning to book the 11:45 trip and I'm trying to figure out food timings for the rest of the day. If the whole experience is about three hours does that include the food as well?

It is served towards the end of the proceedings:

See http://DIBB.in/11409664
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeC1964
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
It is served towards the end of the proceedings:

See http://DIBB.in/11409664
Thanks Geoffa! I see you describe it as a 'snack' rather than meal. Think I'll be able to book a relatively early evening meal in that case.