Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Sep 16, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sdrfish View Post
What you do is contact alamo should this happen. They will send a tow truck with replacement car. Alamo will replace the car you have with the same should this situation occur then you carry on and deal with this later. Like alamos policy the 3rd party policy transfers onto the new car up to the policy limit of $100k for CDW.

Worst case scenario is that if your worried that with the new replacement car you may not have enough cover (as you will be making a claim) you may have to get another policy quickly on the internet back at your hotel which is no big deal and still cheaper than alamos policy.

Now heres the thing say you wrote off the replacement car and you had a hire car policy say the 1st claim came out to $70k that would only leave $30K left on the insurance policy within that period. You would then become liable to pay what is over an above the 30k as you would have exceeded the policy limit. To be fair this is an extreme highly unlikely example but it does illustrate that getting a policy direct with a hire car company is not infallible.
Thanks for info, it has cleared up my confusion on the mechanics of the real time incident handling. Something I may consider in future.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

An interesting thread. I to was looking at these policies but ended up booking through Auto Europe (dollar) and having all the insurances included.

Reading up a little more about this when Americans rent a car they often waive CDW coverage as their own auto coverage normally covers hire cars and sometimes their credit cards also provide coverage. The third party part is normally covered up to their limit on there personal policy or they buy the SLI insurance.

I'm guessing if using one of these uk CDW/SLI policies it would be just dealt with in the same way. I'm guessing it would defo be more paperwork though to handle when back at home.

By taking the Hire car company CDW I'm sure paperwork would be minimal. It would be interesting to read if someone has made a claim on these stand alone products and what the outcome was.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I personally wouldn't touch insurance for a car from a third party. Simply not worth it.
If you have a problem do you really want the car hire company and an insurance company fighting about who pays when neither want to.
Not for me.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sdrfish
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I personally wouldn't touch insurance for a car from a third party. Simply not worth it.
If you have a problem do you really want the car hire company and an insurance company fighting about who pays when neither want to.
Not for me.
Can you please provide some sort of proof to support what your saying? Ive not seen any reported cases online or in the media where this has ever happened. A family member of mine claimed on one of these policies in the past other than a bit of extra paperwork there was no problems.

Like someone posted above americans have car hire policies like this on there credit cards so why would the process be any different to a uk based policy in the event of a claim.
sdrfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sdrfish View Post
Can you please provide some sort of proof to support what your saying? Ive not seen any reported cases online or in the media where this has ever happened. A family member of mine claimed on one of these policies in the past other than a bit of extra paperwork there was no problems.

Like someone posted above americans have car hire policies like this on there credit cards so why would the process be any different to a uk based policy in the event of a claim.
It was a personal opinion and choice that I go by so no proof needed from my perspective. You make your own choice.
I simply don't want to take the risk of anything going wrong where third party claims can be many hundreds of thousands of dollars.
And as we all know - insurance companies are some of the most trusted companies out there. Not! They will do anything to avoid paying claims.

Americans generally transfer their own insurance onto hire cars.

Edited at 05:30 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List