Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 18 Feb 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Originally Posted by Cinderellabella View Post
We took a buggy when my daughter was 6 a few years ago and was pleased we did as did long days. Plus handy to dump your bags on too

Her 8 year old brother even wanted to sit in it too at times!
Same here, my ds was 6 last time, he didn't use it that much but hopped on when it was very hot in the parks & my dd kept sitting in it, she was nearly 15 & as you say very handy for bags, drinks & stuff

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My son refused to sit in a buggy after he turned 2 so there would have been no chance of wrestling him into one aged 6! I'd simply go at a slower pace.
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
My sister was 5 when we first went and didn't use a buggy (my parents didn't take one for her but knew they would be able to get one if needed).
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

I had this decision to make when my daughter's were 4 & 6, but decided not to take one, if needed I was prepared to go to Walmart to buy a cheap one.
It was never needed they didn't stop! However we did take plenty of refreshment breaks with lots of ice water and a sit as I was more concerned with dehydration ( Aug heat ), this seemed to keep them revived.

Prior to going though we did lots of family walks and days out to Alton Towers, Chessington etc so they were used to lots of walking.
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicsea
Excited about Disney

We are taking one for our nephew who will be 7. He has already set his stall out that he is "NOT A BABY" but we are have explained if he doesn't want to use it then our shopping will.
Nicsea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
AL1S0N
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

We bought one in Walmart for $25, similar ones sold in Disney for $45
AL1S0N is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gerddon
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We bought one of the $25 umbrella ones from Walmart for our six year old and were more than happy we did. she's quite big for her so there were a couple of times it seemed the wheels are going to buckle but easy rectified.
Gerddon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
lexie32
Apprentice Imagineer

We took one last May for my dd then aged 5.5 which she only used when we went out in the evenings, we will be taking one in October when she will have just turned 7 as although she regularly walks for 6 or 7 miles with no problems when we go on family walks she does get tired in the evenings. Having the buggy will be far easier than carrying her whilst we take a wander around world showcase!
Jan 97 - May 03 - QIP, May 04 - Wyndham /HRH, Sept 05 - Windsor Palms, May 07 - Windsor Hills, May 08 - WiH/HRH, May09 - CP/ WL /Bradenton, May/June10 - CP/ YC/Bradenton May/June 11 P.E & Sunset Lakes, May/June 2012 YC/AKL, May/June 13 Sheraton ViV HRH &YC May 14 Sandpearl , Rennaisance SW & PBH, May 16 BC and Sandpearl, Oct 17 BC. Aug 19 Miami & Wilderness Lodge Aug 2020 Sandpearl Margaritaville & Hard Rock
lexie32 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post

We're considering buying one at Wal-Mart, our ds will be 7, until last year he hadn't used a buggy since he was 3 And even then just for long days occasionally.

We decided to take our old buggy with us just in case. It was invaluable, we took a picnic with us which we could leave in the buggy along with lots of frozen water, rain coats, changes of clothes etc. Ds would hop in if exhausted from the heat or when it rained (he'd hop out bone dry while we looked like we'd just jumped in a pool even with ponchos ). Just short stops for him to reboot while we went from place to place in the crowds.

We went at Easter so it was busy and it meant in the evening he could hop in as we made our way out of the parks and could start his bedtime there and then. I didn't have to worry about losing him either .

He didn't use it a huge amount but he's a tall lad and if he needed a carry, I just can't lift him anymore and dh can but when you're hot already it just causes overheating all round

Even dd 13 ended up using it because she developed a problem with her legs and walking was painful. She'd had a big growth spurt just before we travelled and her muscles hadnt grown as quickly as her bones causing a lot of pain (we found out when we got home)

It's not for everyone and ds wouldn't have used one in this country, we've done lots of long days out which he's managed fine here but he does suffer in the heat, the shade of the buggy meant even if we were watching the parades we could keep him out of the sun, rather than sat on the curb just getting hotter.

It's personal choice, I don't believe it's lazy and I don't believe in judging others. Using a buggy at 6 in florida isn't going turn your dc into a couch potato it's a fairly intense environment for a 6 yr old not use to such crowds and heat.

We're going to try without and see how we go, I think he'll be fine this time. He has a bit more stamina and was of keeping cool. I still worry about him being in the sun all day being fair but he'll have the normal precautions so we'll see how it goes

Just do what works for you, there is a 3 wheeled jogger online at Wal-Mart for $58, most airlines will let you take one included in luggage allowance for under 9s but the Disney date rate works out expensive even just a few hires it's cheaper to buy from Wal-Mart and leave for next guest or donate.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List