Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 1 Nov 14, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Talking Food, food, and more food - October 2014 Food Report...COMPLETE

Introduction

Hi and welcome to my 2nd food report..! I won't go on too much as I know you want to get straight to the food but I thought I'd do another food report as loads of you liked reading it last year, and I enjoyed doing it. I think mum and dad have become used to "wait, wait... picture"

A quick background, I'm Oli and am yet again accompanying my parents (Janet and Henrik - its a Danish name) to Orlando. We usually go for 2 weeks but this came as a bit of surprise as we were lucky enough to win it, so we're not complaining however long its for

I'll split the food into each day instead of each place and even though its 8 days of food instead of 14 we still manage to try as much as possible... here's what we did each day

Day 1 - Travel day, arriving at Hilton
Day 2 - Animal Kingdom
Day 3 - Magic Kingdom, character breakfast and Illuminations
Day 4 - Epcot, F&W and Wishes
Day 5 - Hollywood Studios
Day 6 - Universal Studios
Day 7 - Seaworld
Day 8 - Outlets and heading home
...and a couple of extra bits and pieces we picked up

Look at the links above to see if there are updates, the days that are blue have pictures

Edited at 08:05 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 14, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Loved your last food report so looking forward to reading this one
Old 1 Nov 14, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Travel Day

I managed to do much better for the first day than last year, when I only managed 1 picture . We arrived at Gatwick just before 9, and checked in (upgraded to exit row), went thru security (mum got her moisturiser taken away as it was 200ml, whoops) and went to Frankie and Benny's as I had a 15% off coupon that someone on here posted about. It was off the Eat Drink Fly website if anyone's interested.

We were seated in one of the best spots, right next to the flight info board and with a great view onto the runway and some of the gates.

Frankie and Benny's, LGW South terminal

Mum started with a latte.

I got an OJ (no pic) and funnily we both went for the same breakfast. French toast with maple syrup, with fruit and yoghurt.

Very tasty, I thought the yoghurt was gonna come on the side so thats my only slight complaint. They were very busy so we had to wait a while but we were watching all the planes queueing to take off we didn't really notice tbh.

Virgin flight, Economy

We were up in the bubble and we were given menus pretty soon after we were up in the air.

I can't stand plane food, so I passed and mum went for the pasta.

She said it wasn't great at all, and a bloke she was next to (and spent most of the flight talking to) had the lasagne which looked better. The salad was quite spicy too which she didn't like either.

Little puddings were handed out later (I think it was mango?) and then we were given little mini Fab lollies.

Time past very s-l-o-w-l-y and about 90 mins before landing they started giving out the afternoon tea boxes. This was an egg and tomato sandwich, a packet of posh crisps, a caramel shortbread and a little packet of mints.

(For those wondering, my dad was flying indirect LHR - JFK - MCO with BA and American so he wasn't on our flight. I did ask him to take pictures but surprise surprise, he didn't )

Harvest Bistro, Hilton Bonnet Creek

We were exhausted so just went down to one of the restaurants in the hotel as it was about 9pm already and we had a full day planned for the next day.

We were given bread, and then mum had the chicken Caesar salad.

And me and dad both went for the Steakhouse burger with fries.

Both nice, but despite not eating much on the plane I really wasn't ready for American sized portions yet so ended up leaving about half of it.

...tomorrow, Animal Kingdom

Edited at 06:59 PM.
Old 1 Nov 14, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Subscribing
Like the look of the F&B breakfast, maybe a bit too much syrup though
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 14, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Sounds fab so far!
Old 2 Nov 14, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by hazel.searle View Post
Loved your last food report so looking forward to reading this one
Thanks, more updates on the way...

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Subscribing
Like the look of the F&B breakfast, maybe a bit too much syrup though
Ah you can never have too much syrup when french toast's concerned

Originally Posted by MrsBB View Post
Sounds fab so far!
Thanks. More on the way.
Old 2 Nov 14, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post

DAY 2

We were up and out for Animal Kingdom and at the park for 9. Our Everest FPs were for until 10 so we got a 'small' bite to eat at the bakery in Africa.

Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery

Dad got a coffee and me and mum had an Iced French Vanilla latte. Wow. This was amazing, really sweet, don't have a pic thought. To eat, mum had a blueberry muffin.

Me and dad had a cinnamon bun. I didn't realise how massive it was until I saw it on the plate. It would've been good enough for all 3 of us to share. I barely managed more than an ear

We had a couple of goes on Everest and went on Kilamanjaro Safaris. Mum stopped for a lemon slush drink afterwards.

For lunch I was still stuffed after that cinnamon bun so I passed, dad got a falafel from a small stand between Africa and Asia. It came with apple slices.

Yak and Yeti Counter Service

Mum got a Sweet and Sour chicken from the Yak and Yeti counter service which came with white rice. It smelled really good so I tried a bit and it was really nice.

After Animal Kingdom, we stopped in at Publix on Vineland Ave to get some snacks and water, as its $2.50 for a bottle at the parks, but you can get a pack of 24 for little over $5 at the supermarket. The bottles are a bit smaller, but not much! We usually do this on the day we get there but it was late and we were exhausted.

I had to take a pic of this, just one of many unusual American flavours...

Bahama Breeze

Love, love, love Bahama Breeze. Especially they're Key lime pie. More on that later...

I started with a sweet iced tea, mum a Diet Coke and dad a Bahamarita (?) non-alc version as he was driving.

Our server was friendly, she did bring me un-sweet instead of sweet tea, but quickly brought the right one out. We skipped starters, and went straight for the entrees.

I went for the Key West Fish tacos. The fish was mahi mahi and came with fries and guacamole. Really good.

Dad went for the Skirt Steak Cubano. It is thinly cut for a steak, and I'm not a fan of steak (shock horror ) but I tried it and it wasn't bad at all. It came with black beans and small fried potatoes.

And mum went for the Baby Back ribs with fries. The sauce it came with was really sweet and smoky.

And of course, no visit to Bahama Breeze is complete without Key lime pie. Me and mum shared, and dad has his own.

...tomorrow, Magic Kingdom and Illuminations

Edited at 06:59 PM.
Old 2 Nov 14, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Now updated with travel day and day 2. If anyone's any questions let me know
Old 3 Nov 14, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

That pie looks delish!