Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 8 Nov 16, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by emmabanana View Post
We found this today too, went to Banana republic, most things were 50% off then I got 40% off with my coupon, we were very pleased
I like the sound of this! Where can I get these coupons?
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 16, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Traincrashing View Post
I signed up on banana republics website to get mine, they send them quite often but it's a bit hit and miss with the extra discount they offer.
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 16, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Traincrashing View Post
I also sign up to email newsletters for the stores I like. Some send you discount codes and others give you advance notice of 'sales events'.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 16, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by anna-marie View Post
Sounds if Orlando/Kissimmee is going to hell in a handcart with all it's "rough and lower class people"
Originally Posted by tinks75 View Post
One time we were there and a British family were robbed of all their shopping bags in broad daylight. Like everywhere - keep your wits about you!
we went in the day and it was great

then we went one evening and the place was completely different
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 16, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post

talking of keeping wits about you

the evening trip, we went in Converse and came out with 5 bags, i walked them back to the car while the family walked to the Nike store, i felt uneasy leaving all the bags in the boot, so i jumped in the car and drove of, went to the car park of shoe rack ( i think it was ) turned around and headed back and packed in a completely different place
Old 8 Nov 16, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
I must admit, we have been going to Disney since 1984 and for the first time this year we said, I think we have had enough for a while anyway. There are plenty of other places to visit that maybe we should stop going back to Orlando for a few years. All the massive expense of the restaurants, especially at Disney, if you haven't got the DP you will need to re-mortgage your house to eat in the sit down restaurants.
HS is half of what it used to be. Disney Springs is a designer outlet now and its focused on MONEY MONEY MONEY.
I think they need to stop with all the construction and get things modernised in the parks and stop building DVC and hotels and update the rides. It feels very dated now and when you go a lo,t it just feels like you are doing some rides for the sake of it.
I love stating at Disney though and always enjoy the Hotel and the surrounding areas, but the parks are not our main focus any more.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 16, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post

There are many ethnic minorities around there. As the tourists move down the other end of the 192 the minorities move in. Most of them are poorly paid hospitality workers shopping in a cheap area, Bealls, Dollar Tree and maybe even the outlet shops. We usually do an evening shop along there, Osceola Mall, to get my eyebrows threaded, a marvellous skilled Indian women, not just a kid in it for the money, quick look in Burlingtons and on to the strip Malls that have the outlets we want. We eat at GC or Cici's along there, again full of minorities, poor and ethnic, ending up in Walmart. I have never felt threatened, as I have said many times before treat people as you would be treated
Old 8 Nov 16, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Food prices in particular have been rising in the USA beyond their inflation. Economists predict it will continue. Energy costs, more demand for grain supplies, higher protein diet demands all add to the cost of goods in food shops and their suppliers. Ultimately. this will filter through to restaurants across the board.

Americans now spend about 9% less on food than they used to.

Clothes wise - production costs have increased all round - energy, shipping, import costs. The USA is no less vulnerable than we are. The answer is shop around - bargains can still be found as other Dibbers have shown. I don't find the Outlets are necessarily cheaper sometimes.

Accommodation - and particularly Disney. The $ gets us approximately 30 cents less for each pound than it used to. So whereas £1000 used to get US $ 1500 some months ago you are now a value of $ 1200 - a difference of $300 !

So a holiday costing you £6000 equivalent last year will now cost £7200 to £7500 (not allowing for price increases)

And I recall, in 1992 paying 95 cents a gallon for gas!

Edited at 06:42 PM.
Old 8 Nov 16, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post

I'd just like to say that the staff in the Converse shop were first class in May. My 2 year old was in his buggy and had his small rabbit with him that he must have tossed in disgust, that wasn't noted until we were home. He doesn't sleep without it, so back up to the store where they had found it and kept in the back office (was only half an hour later) when I arrived back in a rush. Felt so grateful to them.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 16, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by johnmcmaster View Post
I'd just like to say that the staff in the Converse shop were first class in May. My 2 year old was in his buggy and had his small rabbit with him that he must have tossed in disgust, that wasn't noted until we were home. He doesn't sleep without it, so back up to the store where they had found it and kept in the back office (was only half an hour later) when I arrived back in a rush. Felt so grateful to them.
agreed, the staff were great, got speaking to a ex-marine who has been to the UK ( mainly up north ) to see a UK special force that saved his life

great guy