Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Jun 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

BA World Traveller Seats - advice please :)

Hi,

Finally booked for April 2019

We have decided to go with BA, flying PE. I am aware this is an inferior service to Virgin but they wanted £700 more!

So looking for seating advice please. No joy on seatguru

We are flying on a Boeing 777-200 without 1st glass. Rows available in PE are 10 - 16.

Looking for pros & cons of the rows please.

You have to pay to book a seat so not sure I'll bother or I may wait until nearer the time so if anyone has any advice about waiting etc that would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 24 Jun 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

It's the refurbed plane with those row numbers which I don't think is in service yet, so doubt anyone would have first hand reviews of it.

I would say there's very little in it on that size cabin unless you don't like flying above the wing, then you might want to sit towards the front of the cabin as it looks like rows 14-16 will be on the wing.

If you have spare Avios points that you don't mind using, you can pay for seat allocation with those instead of cash. But main reason would be to sit together over anything else. The last row may have the benefit of no one behind (no seat kicking, able to recline without worry) but depends how they've split it from economy. I don't think there's any bulkhead walls in that section so it may just be a curtain with economy seats directly behind.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks loldis. The section of the plane they show you doesn't really explain what might be where.

I do have some avios points but no idea how to use them. I did look to use them but couldn't work it out 🤔 Any pointers would be appreciated 😊
Old 24 Jun 18, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

When I booked my seats recently, it was an option on the payment page. Doesn't look like you need to do anything special to activate it, as long as you're managing a booking with an Avios account attached. Not the smartest use of Avios in the world but I had mine spare (have been literally sitting in the account for three years - last time I flew with BA ) so may as well use them.

As for location - I looked at the full plane map for the refurb available on BA, rather than the seat map view. Looking at the plane on seatguru, if you look at the current 777 3 class config, it looks like the new WT+ section will run in the existing rows 10-14 which is currently split between CW and WT+. So there should be a bulkhead behind what will now be row 16, as there are cots in the first row of economy (on V2 at least) which presumably are staying.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
brody-maddison
Imagineer

brody-maddison's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Sorry to hijack thread but how do you tell if the plane is a refurb?
Old 24 Jun 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by brody-maddison View Post
Sorry to hijack thread but how do you tell if the plane is a refurb?
The easiest way is to take a look at the seat map, if economy has 10 seats per row then it has been refurbished

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Most will be refurbished buy then.
As posted limited or none existent reviews.
Previous experience no overall goodor bad seats just enjoy.
Old 24 Jun 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
brody-maddison
Imagineer

brody-maddison's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Cabbie View Post
The easiest way is to take a look at the seat map, if economy has 10 seats per row then it has been refurbished

-Steve
Thank you, our outbound has 9 seats per row and inbound 10 so I'm guessing we'll be on an older on the way out and refurbed on the way back.
Old 24 Jun 18, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
When I booked my seats recently, it was an option on the payment page. Doesn't look like you need to do anything special to activate it, as long as you're managing a booking with an Avios account attached. Not the smartest use of Avios in the world but I had mine spare (have been literally sitting in the account for three years - last time I flew with BA ) so may as well use them.

As for location - I looked at the full plane map for the refurb available on BA, rather than the seat map view. Looking at the plane on seatguru, if you look at the current 777 3 class config, it looks like the new WT+ section will run in the existing rows 10-14 which is currently split between CW and WT+. So there should be a bulkhead behind what will now be row 16, as there are cots in the first row of economy (on V2 at least) which presumably are staying.
Thanks Finally managed to suss out the Avios points & booked out bound seats. I'll keep an eye on prices inbound and decide what to do later, just nice to have all sorted for the flight out.

I am the same as you with Avios points, can't see I'll ever have enough for a flight so a few quid off seat booking is worth it to me

Thanks again - fingers crossed I've booked a good seat, but as long as it get me there safe
Old 25 Jun 18, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

The refurbed planes ARE in service - we flew in one outbound last month. Not PE though, but I did see it as I walked through to the cheap seats lol. The PE cabin is now bigger than it used to be, at the expense of what used to be the rear part of the club cabin.
My understanding is that while both the old and new are operating, the refurbed aircraft are not being flown full in case one needs to be switched out for any reason. Certainly the one we were on was half empty. If you don't like your seats once on board, there will very likely be empty ones you can move to.