Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

I think you handled that really well op.
I still remember the excitement when Father Christmas had been when i was a child, and i passed that on to my kids.
I would be so angry but i am hopeful you can restore the magic xx

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I read this first thing this morning and really didn’t know what to say.
I still don’t.
What a horrible thing to do.
Children are little for such a short time. Every piece of magic and innocence should be eeked out for as long as possible IMO

I’d be absolutely furious

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I think you handled it really well. Love the idea of the bell. My sons going to be 9 just before Xmas and he still completely believes. I’d be gutted if he found out like that.
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

I think you handled it really well! I would have done exactly the same.
Sunnydays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I think this is quite naive. No matter what way you think it went. The teacher will have a differing view regardless of what was said. That is a fact of life. Look into behavioural studies to understand how conversation outcomes occur.
As a teacher I totally disagree with your take on the situation.
Sometimes we all make mistakes and it sounds as though the headteacher is totally aware of the mistake she made.

In that situation I’d much rather have a frank and honest conversation with the parent and work out a way to move forward. I certainly wouldn’t think of the op as a ‘problem parent’, more as someone reasonable who was understandably concerned about their daughter and able to be mature enough to express their displeasure and work out a way forward.

I also take exception to the idea that all teachers take issues with parents out on the children. I think you are seriously undervaluing the professionalism of the profession. I know personally I’ve had some real “problem parents” and have never taken it out on the child!

Oh and op I think you handled it really well.

Edited at 09:06 PM.
Twin mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
As a teacher I totally disagree with your take on the situation.
Sometimes we all make mistakes and it sounds as though the headteacher is totally aware of the mistake she made.

In that situation I’d much rather have a frank and honest conversation with the parent and work out a way to move forward. I certainly wouldn’t think of the op as a ‘problem parent’, more as someone reasonable who was understandably concerned about their daughter and able to be mature enough to express their displeasure and work out a way forward.

I also take exception to the idea that all teachers take issues with parents out on the children. I think you are seriously undervaluing the professionalism of the profession. I know personally I’ve had some real “problem parents” and have never taken it out on the child!

Oh and op I think you handled it really well.
I totally agree with your view. I speak as someone who worked in primary schools for 36 years as teacher, deputy head, head, adviser and inspector. I never came across problem parents, only parents with problems ( some minor, some significant). Some parents needed a lot of multi agency help and support. To think that professional teachers would take an issue out on the child is quite mind boggling and contrary to professional standards which in turn would warrant disciplinary action.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
It makes no difference. Teachers like the rest of us are human. They will and do react to complaining parents. The only person this affects is the child and the relationship between teacher and child.
No matter what way parents argue this - this is the reality of life. Not saying it is right or wrong - it is just the way it is.
If you have spent any time with a group of teachers - you will know that a significant part of their conversation is about complaining parents.
Teachers are doing their best to educate and prepare children for the future. These days much more so than parents generally. They are some of the most important people in their lives. They aren't perfect. Give them a break and hence give your children the best chance you can.
Argue it whatever way you want - it wont have a positive impact on the child. It will almost certainly have a negative impact. The more the complaining, the more the impact. And not just for that one teacher. Teachers all know who the "problem" parents are and that sticks throughout the child's time at the school - not just that year.

Wow I really hope you’re not a teacher - if you are it’s sounds like you are in the wrong profession!
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkertangled View Post
Wow I really hope you’re not a teacher - if you are it’s sounds like you are in the wrong profession!
I am not a teacher - but know many teachers.
Teachers are human. They react to interactions just like the rest of us.
Just look at the threads on here complaining about everything. Teachers can complain to each other about parents. It is just the reverse of the OP's issue - works both ways. Nothing to do with the profession. If anyone complains to any of us about anything - we will build a response opinion of that interaction. When receiving. complaint - that will be an negative response. Anyone who thinks they do otherwise I suspect is not being honest with themselves. This is very basic human nature.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
So in life you can never tackle any situation as someone's view of you will be negatively impacted?
No - that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is you need to be aware of any consequences and make decisions recognising this.
I don't think I said what the OP was doing was right or wrong - just that there are consequences. You need to choose your battles.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I think your posts say more about you than the teaching profession (or any other profession) . Most people are perfectly capable of separating the professional job they do and any ambivalence they feel towards their customer or their relatives , be they doctors, teachers , social workers, nurses etc.
Maybe you've been unlucky and encountered the exceptions but I'm speaking from personal experience not "behavioural studies" (although I've conducted a few of those myself and am aware how flawed they can be if the basic premise is incorrect or biased)
Most people aren't that petty especially when children are concerned ... in fact if there is a problem parent teachers tend to feel sorry for the child rather than take it out on them from my personal observations in the staff room !
Please don't make it personal just because I have a differing opinion than you.
There are hundreds of threads on the DIBB alone that demonstrate just how petty people in general are. And just how they react to things they don't like.