Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Sep 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyF1rstT1me
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dBoardy View Post
Thought I would share ours from our family trip back in October 2018.
We booked the holiday in December 2017 but did not tell our two boys until April. We would have kept it a secret longer but too many people knew so it was only a matter of time before someone let it slip.

We timed the reveal around when the last series of Ant and Dec's Saturday night takeaway finished. The boys loved the show and every week wanted to enter the competition to win seats on the plane for series finale in Orlando.

A couple of weeks after the series had ended we arranged to go to my parents for a takeaway which is a treat in itself for boys! Once there, we ate and I suggested we play a game of Saturday Night Takeaway. I had done some Saturday Night Takeaway graphics which we put up before playing a lot of the popular games from the show. By the end of it. I had fixed it so that both my mum and dad (who were coming with us) had both won sealed A4 envelopes each. The boys were disappointed they had only won some chocolates. This is when I offered them the chance to win envelopes of their own. They had 2 minutes to search the house for hidden envelopes. At this point they had no idea what was going on and were just excited about the game. After the time was up, they had found each prize envelope. I filmed them opening their prize. Inside each envelope was one of the yellow boarding passes from the show along with details of the holiday printed on back. My youngest (then 5) was over the moon. My oldest (7 at the time) was more cynical and assumed it was all made up for the game. Each reaction was priceless and they still talk about it now.

We have it all recorded to watch back and a photo of the kids with their grandparents holding a 'Boarding Pass' is the first picture in the holiday album we had printed.

We go back again October 2020. This time the kids have just been told about it as we knew we could never pull another big reveal like that without being rumbled.
I love reading all reveal stories but this one is particularly good. What a great idea.

We did a reveal for our 2018 holiday with a treasure hunt in the house - it was just after they'd finished doing an easter egg hunt so I pretended I'd been tidying up and found another clue, which of course then led to more clues. The treasure hunt led to a jigsaw we'd had made with Disney and Harry Potter related images on the front and it said across the middle "Guess where we're going...". The reaction when they worked it out was underwhelming. The youngest, 5, didn't really understand but cheered anyway and eldest DS (9) accused us of being liars as we'd told them we weren't going on holiday that year as we had no money. We explained we wanted to surprise them and he was distinctly unimpressed that we'd lied!

We're going again in 2020 and I'm toying with finding a geocache relatively near us, going there the night before and tampering with it (naughty I know) and leaving our prize there somehow. Then the next day suggesting to the kids that we go geocaching (hoping the entire time that no-one else has chosen to do that particular geocache in the intervening 12-15 hours obviously!). I'm not sure about this idea though. If my kids were Saturday Night Takeaway fans I'd totally be stealing dBoardy's idea
DisneyF1rstT1me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
not2old4disney
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyF1rstT1me View Post
I love reading all reveal stories but this one is particularly good. What a great idea.

We did a reveal for our 2018 holiday with a treasure hunt in the house - it was just after they'd finished doing an easter egg hunt so I pretended I'd been tidying up and found another clue, which of course then led to more clues. The treasure hunt led to a jigsaw we'd had made with Disney and Harry Potter related images on the front and it said across the middle "Guess where we're going...". The reaction when they worked it out was underwhelming. The youngest, 5, didn't really understand but cheered anyway and eldest DS (9) accused us of being liars as we'd told them we weren't going on holiday that year as we had no money. We explained we wanted to surprise them and he was distinctly unimpressed that we'd lied!

We're going again in 2020 and I'm toying with finding a geocache relatively near us, going there the night before and tampering with it (naughty I know) and leaving our prize there somehow. Then the next day suggesting to the kids that we go geocaching (hoping the entire time that no-one else has chosen to do that particular geocache in the intervening 12-15 hours obviously!). I'm not sure about this idea though. If my kids were Saturday Night Takeaway fans I'd totally be stealing dBoardy's idea
I had a similar experience with my 3! We did a treasure hunt reveal for their first trip in 2017 - I made poems and pictures for each clue and they were hidden around our house then out in the car and eventually it took them along to their grandparents house (they were coming too) the 'treasure' was a little big book of magic each, maps of all the theme parks we were going to, Disney t shirts, some dollars etc and to say their reaction was underwhelming is a massive understatement! We had honestly expected a big reaction from them all as they'd wanted to go to Florida for years and used to look at the pictures of me and their dad there (from a trip before we we married and had the kids) all the time - they did get really excited a couple of hours later when the news had finally sunk in and they realised it was really happening but definitely wasn't what we were expecting
not2old4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Love these threads. We are planning to do our reveal at Xmas and looking for some ideas.
Ritz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

For our trip on 2017 we wrapped up a Disney box with toys, Disney pjs, Disney t shirts etc. at the bottom was a disc that said play me and we had a recording from Mickey Mouse (fiver.co.uk) telling him he was going and what he’d be doing. Although he was excited I think he was overwhelmed with all the Christmas stuff too and it took a while to sink in.

This time (12 days ago! ) we decorated the kitchen with Disney here we come bunting, balloons and luggage tags etc. called him in for tea as normal and shouted surprise. He looked around for a moment and said in a really small voice “are we going back to Disney” I said “we are and open that box to tell you when” he opened up a giant Millie’s cookie which was iced with our countdown, read it a few times and cried. Ran in to a hug saying happy tears, it’s all happy tears which is now the name of our trip report. The second one was definitely my favourite. He’s 8 now and was 6 for the first one.

nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

We've just done the big reveal this afternoon. We had a meal booked at Hickorys Smokehouse this afternoon so I created a wordsearch online with all our Florida family favourite things to do and edited it to look like it was part of the kids pack from the restaurant.

The kids then did the wordsearch at the meal and I hid the Magic Bands from our last trip in the mini popcorn bags so when they completed the wordsearch I gave them the popcorn bags as the surpise prize with the Magic Bands in.

The smiles on their faces as it sunk in were amazing 😃😃😃

Edited at 06:53 PM.
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lazzareo View Post
We've just done the big reveal this afternoon. We had a meal booked at Hickorys Smokehouse this afternoon so I created a wordsearch online with all our Florida family favourite things to do and edited it to look like it was part of the kids pack from the restaurant.

The kids then did the wordsearch at the meal and I hid the Magic Bands from our last trip in the mini popcorn bags so when they completed the wordsearch I gave them the popcorn bags as the surpise prize with the Magic Bands in.

The smiles on their faces as it sunk in were amazing 😃😃😃

What a lot of effort you went to 😍 you have very lucky children
Old 23 Feb 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Aww.. the smiles on their faces. How lovely.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

What a lovely reveal!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SlinkyDog73 View Post
Soooooo I have booked everything, flights,accomadation,tickets etc but have to wait 5 weeks until we can tell our daughters as our eldest does not come home until then...

It is a suprise for their 21st and 18th..

Am planning on getting a scratchcard form Etsy for the big reveal but,it is sooooooo hard keeping it a secret.

My husband and I are talking in secret but are very excited.

How did you tell your family?

We said to our 12 year old son. “We’re thinking of going to Florida next year what do you think.”

“Sounds good he said.”

So we booked it.

Once booked we told him

“Cool” he replied.

Old 23 Feb 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
We said to our 12 year old son. “We’re thinking of going to Florida next year what do you think.”

“Sounds good he said.”

So we booked it.

Once booked we told him

“Cool” he replied.

We took the same approach first time around and got a similar response but just fancied doing it a bit different this time round.
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List