Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Dec 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Yes I am, we walked miles to our local baths (bus or chips) and in summer out side baths only paid activity as a kid in the 70’s I did, my kids are all good swimmers as is DH

ETA to good from strong lol, we all love water in my house and it plays a huge part of any holiday we have.

Edited at 05:34 PM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyleo
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Used to be a very good swimmer as a child.
Don’t very often swim now though so a bit rusty these days but I can swim.

My kids are so-so they started lessons but honestly youngest mainly was messing around and oldest hated the teacher for the stage he was in and felt he was getting nowhere with it so we stopped. He’s been doing lessons at school but we don’t get an update of how they get on.
Disneyleo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

All 5 of us can swim, I can't imagine not being able too. It's an essential skill imo x
Old 28 Dec 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I have epilepsy and cannot swim. I almost drowned when I was nine years old on a family holiday to Portugal (thanks to the lifeguard I am still here) , but from then on recommended by Dr's I do not be in a pool alone and having never had the chance to learn I just cannot swim. I paddle in Florida etc in the shallow end and even in the hot tub I am always with DH or eldest son. My DH can swim like a fish, and our boys swim to a good standard, especially DS who is very good for his age.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I swam competitively in my teens and DD went to sessions from 5 months old ending with her PADI Scuba cert. Swimming is the only sport we enjoy. Don’t go too much now and due to age I am very slow, DD goes some weekends to relax
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I went back to swimming aged 49- swam as a child but had no formal lessons. Aged 50 I’d did swimathon - 60 lengths in 49 mins
Ive now become a volunteer swim assistant -teaching people with disabilities - on my way to becoming a swim teacher all ready for my retirement from nursing.
So many adults approach me about 1 to1 lessons for a lot of people it is about regaining confidence in the water as well as for complete beginners - Swimming is so good for our health and well-being

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

I can swim pretty well and I try and go swimming once a week if I can in our local pool.

My husband is not keen on the water and can’t swim. Have managed to get him in the ocean and pools a few times in Florida but he is understandably very cautious.
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I am over 45 (just &#128521 I only learned how to swim when I was 15 on my first holiday abroad. I still panic if I get splashed in n the face bit I do go swimming once a week with the kids and do laps, mainly for a different type of exercise.
My husband is a strong swimmer though. I took all three of my children to swim tots as babies and they could all swim without arm bands at 2 years old.
My 16 year old & 13 are very strong swimmers, my 13 year is the strongest because he still swims every week doing laps. My youngest is 6 and a very good swimmer but he will continue with lessons for quite a while yet.
One thing I knew when I had children was that they would learn how to swim, be confident in water and not be afraid in water because it was horrible for me. My mum is scared of water so we never went swimming.
Most of my sons friends (aged 6) can’t swim and never had lessons or plan to have lessons
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stella_11 View Post
If that pool was not heated it would have been shockingly cold. I don't know whether that will have played a part though.
Cold water shock kills. The RNLI do massive campaigns in the summer to warn people. There's too many fatalities, particularly teenage boys who can swim and get caught out.

rnli/safety/know-the-risks/cold-water-shock
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I can swim for long periods but have no technique and probably only had a handful of proper lessons as a child.
OH is a better swimmer but can’t swim for long periods.
DS struggled to learn to swim so he had one to one coaching for a while and is pretty good now. He was late to learn despite us starting pool visits when he was a baby.
I think it’s essential to get children to a point where they stand a chance if they find themselves in danger. A rip would be dangerous for anyone of course but if a child were to fall into pond for example you’d want to know they could get out.

That was such a sad story. I was really surprised when I read none of the family could swim.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List