Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Ladies: solutions to thinning hair

My hair has started to thin out a lot at the front. It started a few years ago after a period of stress at work. Along with IBS / reflux issues and intermittent panic attacks, I started to have issues with my hair breaking and periods of time where I seemed to shed more hair. So far, I've coped and tried multiple different hair products to try and slow the loss. However, I've started to become much more self-conscious, especially now so much of my job is taking place through Google Meets, where the thinness of my hair seems much more noticeable on camera.

I'm at a stage where I feel I need to find a way of covering up the loss. I've looked online at hair toppers, wigs and local salons that offer extensions or similar. The results look great, but I don't know what would be right for me. The options are a bit over-whelming. I"m quite self-conscious, so I would worry that what I did would look unnatural.

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone could offer on solutions that I could try.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Have you had your blood checked? Reflux medication can affect iron levels which can affect hair growth.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

My hair is thinning badly too. There’s no reason for it and I have no idea what I am going to do. I’m only 32 and it’s been going on since having my kids.
If you find the answer I would be interested to know
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DUNXandWILL
Apprentice Imagineer

My hair is thinning quite dramatically too, although i'm 43!

I've had my bloods done and the Dr said nothing was found :-(

I've recently lost 3 out of 4 stone that I needed to lose... Dr said this is a common culprit of hair loss so I bought "Starpowa" from Holland & Barratt but they did absolutely nothing :-(

I've also tried Plantur 39 both the normal green bottle and the purple bottle for coloured/bleached hair... both did very little, though i'd definitely say the green bottle was Waaaaay better than the purple bottle!

I'm now taking Biotin tablets and although my hair isn't any better... my nails are awesome :-)

Anyone have any positive stories?

Dunx x

DUNXandWILL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I know thyroid problems can cause hair loss.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I use the Pitta shampoo and conditioner from this range. It’s quite expensive but I’ve been pleased with the result. You use only a very little and it doesn’t foam up a lot, but it smells lovely.
champohaircare/

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I’ve got a problem with hair loss too. Went to a dermatologist who basically told me any medication she could put me on would just slow the hair loss but if I stopped taking it, the hair loss would continue and I’d loose whatever hair I was due to loose in the meantime.
I had fine thin hair to begin with so can’t really afford to loose much more.
I used to wear my hair really short but have grown to out over the past year or so and now I can’t see so much of my scalp. I also tend to avoid mirrors.
Hair toppers seem to be an option but any of the decent ones seem to cost quite a bit.
There are lots reviews on YouTube of different types and worth looking at.
I certainly would consider a topper and a lot of them do look really natural.
It is a bummer that it is socially acceptable for men to loose their hair, no matter how they themselves may feel about it, but not for women even though it seems to be a common problem.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shona View Post
Have you had your blood checked? Reflux medication can affect iron levels which can affect hair growth.
I've had a fair number of blood tests associated with the reflux this last year, but not sure if they checked my iron levels. I'll look into this.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DUNXandWILL View Post
My hair is thinning quite dramatically too, although i'm 43!

I've had my bloods done and the Dr said nothing was found :-(

I've recently lost 3 out of 4 stone that I needed to lose... Dr said this is a common culprit of hair loss so I bought "Starpowa" from Holland & Barratt but they did absolutely nothing :-(

I've also tried Plantur 39 both the normal green bottle and the purple bottle for coloured/bleached hair... both did very little, though i'd definitely say the green bottle was Waaaaay better than the purple bottle!

I'm now taking Biotin tablets and although my hair isn't any better... my nails are awesome :-)

Anyone have any positive stories?

Dunx x
Congratulations on the great weightloss. I've been going to Slimming World for the last few weeks. I've lost almost a stone, but have a fair way to go.
Old 14 Jun 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

My Mum started taking Nourkrin tablets and although it took about 3 months to start working her hairdresser noticed a difference. I think Holland & Barrett are currently doing them for £52 and the second box for 1p. She has also picked them up in Boots.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List