Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Aug 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think less is more especially for a 6yr old, as you have said she has had alot this year already, so i would cut back on presents.

I always spent around £40-50 each on birthdays and around £100-150 each for xmas.

My kids got bits throughout the year, and tbh i think kids get so much 'stuff' that really isn't wanted or needed.

It was my great nephew 6th birthday just yesterday, he is an only child and has so many toys and stuff its ridiculous, opening presents yesterday it was just like meh, no real enthusiasm at all, it was just more stuff, very sad really as people had spent money and thought on getting a gift.

Less is more!
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 05:19 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
That’s what kind of stuff I would have liked but don’t think any of the parties they have been to have had those games so I don’t even think they would know them. She did ask for a party at a play centre at beginning of the year but obviously that’s out and she also wanted to go away in a caravan but as she is the very end of August and I’m working the days either side we can’t. We are going this weekend instead but it’s just a holiday. We are also booked in for a meal where she wants to go but again it’s on a Day that’s not her birthday so god knows what we will do that day.

I think if the weather is good a bbq. She absolutely loves bbqs
Nothing better than a traditional party, if she’s never experienced one why don’t you do it, like poster said party rings sausage rolls bag Pom bears ham sandwiches jam tarts fruit shoot can’t get any easier, all kids in a circle on the floor eating together, then party games pass the parcel musical statues THE BEST my youngest is 15 her birthdays Xmas week and we still managed it,
Old 8 Aug 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
That’s what kind of stuff I would have liked but don’t think any of the parties they have been to have had those games so I don’t even think they would know them. She did ask for a party at a play centre at beginning of the year but obviously that’s out and she also wanted to go away in a caravan but as she is the very end of August and I’m working the days either side we can’t. We are going this weekend instead but it’s just a holiday. We are also booked in for a meal where she wants to go but again it’s on a Day that’s not her birthday so god knows what we will do that day.

I think if the weather is good a bbq. She absolutely loves bbqs
I am surprised they dont know those party games all the children I know play them all the time, even just in the garden on an every day afternoon they are never happier than playing musical bumps or statues and will wrap up something little to make a pass the parcel.

I think they might enjoy it if you taught them just for fun at the birthday BBQ, adults can join in as well.

Edited at 08:22 AM.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I am surprised they dont know those party games all the children I know play them all the time, even just I the garden woman every day afternoon they are never happier than playing musical bumps or statues and will wrap up something little to make a pass the parcel.

I think they might enjoy it if you taught them just for fun at the birthday BBQ, adults can join in as well.
Even the organised parties have the traditional games too. We used to do them at the leisure centre, my granddaughter had a Frozen party but they still played all the games, just to mainly Frozen music while dressed up.

Edited at 08:21 AM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisaw1971
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
No I don’t count holidays as presents as such , it just so happened we were in the USA when my eldest turned 21 and she wanted to go to Disney which wasn’t in plans otherwise.

So we had a week in Orlando for her did the parks , Christmas party and 2 character breakfasts etc , things we wouldn’t normally do .

If they come away with us then we pay , I don’t mind I’m just happy they are there , and I also pay for the granddaughter.
If they come with us we pay / if they go with friends they pay!

DLP Sept 1994 NY, 1998 SF, 2003NPB, 2005 off site, 2008NPB, NYE 2012 Explorers
WDW POR August 2013 14 nts
WDW POR August 2015 21 nts
DLP DCC AUGUST 2016 3nts
WDW DVC December 2016 10nts
Lisaw1971 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'm a spoiler - I love buying them presents even though they're (very much) adults now, even my GS is nearly 19!
We do spend a lot on each of them at Christmas, birthdays less so.
We couldn't afford a lot when they were small but they always had a traditional party at home, a main gift and small things wrapped up separately.
Could you do her a treasure hunt for her gifts around the house and garden, starting with a piñata, sweets, bubble baths, books etc and make the Disney watch the last treasure. You say she wont know party games - you could play them and I bet she'll love Pass the Parcel and you can buy Pin the Tail games etc.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post

I just asked my 5 year old and she can’t remember what she got for her last birthday, but she does remember the afternoon tea and ceramics painting. I don’t really pay attention to the total amount spent and instead just get what I think they want/need. I don’t think either of mine got much from us this year because they have plenty of toys and don’t need more stuff for the sake of stuff. I buy things through the year if it’s needed.

We are hoping to be in Disney for her next birthday. If that happens we’ll probably spend a lot more than this year.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

My girls are 14 and 9.

The 14 year old only asked for a cactus last Xmas!

MIL died last year and 2 other family members have terminal cancer. DH spoils the girls at Xmas and birthdays.
I
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

I tend to spend more on the “party” element of birthdays. So the gift will probably be £30-50, but then we’ll spend £200-300 on a party or something. Last year it was cheaper for DS1 as he only wanted to a sleepover and go karting with a friend, but DS2 wanted to go to legoland for the weekend with a stay at the hotel so that cost substantially more, he only got something to “Mark the day” in regards to presents. We spend much more on Christmas presents. Like a pp says we all barely remember what was bought but always remember the activity.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List