Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Oct 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

Car Insurance Claim

Hi
I had a message from Tesco insurance the other day so I called them up (didn't use the number on the text message - just in case). Well someone has reported to them that my car was involved in an accident a couple of months ago. Only my car was 400 miles away from that location at the time and I was at work all day.
The guy at Tesco seemed to think someone had incorrectly written down a number plate - but surely they would have had a description of the car and a driver name from the scene. I'm now worried that my number plate has been cloned.
Im also worried that I cant prove where my car was that day although I can prove that I was 400 miles away at work but that Tesco may pay out affecting my car insurance. .

To top it off I was involved in a small bump end of last year that is still ongoing and I may have to go to court as Tesco are challenging injury claim (not from me) and basically they haven't said in so many words but sounds like they think it was a crash for cash... nightmare

Long story short wondering if anyone else had ever been in this situation?
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by syber32 View Post
Hi
I had a message from Tesco insurance the other day so I called them up (didn't use the number on the text message - just in case). Well someone has reported to them that my car was involved in an accident a couple of months ago. Only my car was 400 miles away from that location at the time and I was at work all day.
The guy at Tesco seemed to think someone had incorrectly written down a number plate - but surely they would have had a description of the car and a driver name from the scene. I'm now worried that my number plate has been cloned.
Im also worried that I cant prove where my car was that day although I can prove that I was 400 miles away at work but that Tesco may pay out affecting my car insurance. .

To top it off I was involved in a small bump end of last year that is still ongoing and I may have to go to court as Tesco are challenging injury claim (not from me) and basically they haven't said in so many words but sounds like they think it was a crash for cash... nightmare

Long story short wondering if anyone else had ever been in this situation?
Never been in the situation, and of course this is all hindsight. I'd get a cheap dashcam if I was you, then if this happens again you can at least show the footage that you were nowhere near at the time in question.

On a side note, I don't suppose you filled up that day or paid to park in a car park as both will have records of your car being there on CCTV that the insurers could request
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

Yes, had it few years ago. Same situation as you. Somebody had given my number plate to the insurance company, I asked when and where. It was 150 miles away and at that time I had a doctors appointment. They just said it happens all the time. People get the wrong number plate. I never heard anything else from them and my premiums have not gone up.
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Never been in the situation, and of course this is all hindsight. I'd get a cheap dashcam if I was you, then if this happens again you can at least show the footage that you were nowhere near at the time in question.

On a side note, I don't suppose you filled up that day or paid to park in a car park as both will have records of your car being there on CCTV that the insurers could request
Hi I do have a dashcam I brought it after the incident in November last year. Unfortunately my MOT was due and as Id had a warning light come up for DPF fluid I was not using the car that week so it was on my drive on the day in question... typical. No one in our close has any cameras.
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DISNEYLIZ View Post
Yes, had it few years ago. Same situation as you. Somebody had given my number plate to the insurance company, I asked when and where. It was 150 miles away and at that time I had a doctors appointment. They just said it happens all the time. People get the wrong number plate. I never heard anything else from them and my premiums have not gone up.
Glad it all worked our for you, hopefully a wrong letter or digit is all it is... hopefully
Old 14 Oct 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Its been happening for years. at least 30 years ago (I know that cause we moved from Hampshire then) I had police come to us saying my DH's car had been noted in an accident and had left the scene. Gave the number plate and description of his car. My husband was in Malaysia at the time of this incident & car was in the garage. I was at work so could prove it was not me driving. The police said it was probably someone who actually knew my DH & either held a grudge or knew him and knew he was actually away and would not get charged - nice a!
Old 14 Oct 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

i often get calls of this nature or saying i have been in an accident - i just hang up. think it is a scam
Old 14 Oct 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Fraud (picking a fake perpetrator), cloned car or mistake. Happens regularly for all of the above reasons.