Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 14 Oct 20, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie1981
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’m also thinking how i want some comfort food now it’s getting colder so following to get some ideas😋

HOLIDAY INN 2007
GRANDE VILLAS LBV 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019
WINDSOR HILLS 2018
ROSEN INN POINTE MARCH, OCT 2023
minnie1981 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jadepansy459
slightly serious Dibber

Ooh lovely ideas.. !
My favourite to make is a 'chuck it all in the slow cooker ' soup.
My fav (especially for autumn ) is butternut squash soup. Bit of coconut milk, lots of spices Inc cinnamon.
Served with crusty bread and lots of butter 😍
jadepansy459 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I’d totally forgotten about beef olives. I used to do them a lot, with haggis stuffing, or sausage meat mixed with mealie pudding! My other ultimate Scottish comfort food is butteries - in fact it may be the reason we are moving back to Scotland.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Always make soup through the winter , usually veg , whatever is in . I also use red lentils to bulk it out as soup can make a great dinner, it’s not just for lunch or starters !
Potato & leek is my favourite.
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
Beef olives are sausage meat in the middle wrapped in thin steak. I brown mine and then cook in the oven with an onion gravy .

You also get olives that are filled with haggis but the traditional ones are sausage meat.

I love stovies but have never attempted to make them. I wish I had a good, old fashioned recipe for them.
Stovies are really easy.
I don’t use weights or measures I just guess.
Peel and slice good potatoes and layer on the bottom of your pan till it’s about 1/3 full. Then I slice an onion and put it in next followed by 2/3 carrots sliced next. Last I put in the sausage. So I use sliced square sausage from the butcher. If you can’t get this you could use sausage meat I think. I just break it apart into bite size pieces, not too small though , and layer it across the top. By the time I have this all my pan is almost full. I add salt then fill up with boiling water out the kettle.
Once it’s came to the boil after a few minutes you should be able to ladle a fair bit of the liquid back out along with as much of the fat as you can. It will start to squash down a bit due to the potato softening. Once it’s pretty soft I would give it a good stir and maybe add some of the liquid back. I then add some gravy powder to thicken it up and give it a good beefy flavour.
Mine always finishes off like an amalgamated thick gloop which we love. Sometimes people make it quite watery and the ingredients stay seperate but I like it this way.

Give it a try it really is delicious.

Edited at 03:25 PM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I make my stovies with left over mince or stew that won’t really do an other meal but just to much to give to the dogs
Same way though potatoes onions carrots and the left overs when the potato carrot and onion are soft enough to mash I just mash it down no watery stovies in this house
Pure comfort food but you have to watch it doesn’t catch
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List