Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Oct 09, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Unforgiven
Imagineer

Many thanks for all your replies

It's not that they don't love Florida its that perhaps the last trip was so good and we did so many different things (not many parks though) that maybe we can't beat it or match it again. ? I think that in a few years they'd go back.

I daren't leave my son alone, he's a typical teenager, its not unknown for him to leave the front door unlocked when he goes out.

Daughter will be at Uni so it's not a great problem if she doesn't want to go on hols with us (would love her to come with us though)

Wife is not too fussyabout where we go but like me she's not a beach person, we have to have things to do.
Maybe I'll have to accept that the kids have grown up and instead take my wife on a trip to the West Coast as she's never been there.

It's a strange feeling, like an era is ending ... weird.

Unforgiven is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 09, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Enright78 View Post
I can understand this. There is so much more of a big wide world to see. Dh and I are planning Scotland and Yorkshire next year in two beautiful cottages, then a fortnight in a swanky apartment in the South Of France. Will we return to Florida? Yes certainly, but we have a lot more world to see first. Anyway, being in a family is about compromise, isn't it, not just always doing what you want? Not all non Florida holidays are just about sitting by a pool!
Very well said!
Old 6 Oct 09, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

DH & DD said last year that they didnt want to go back this year
So we booked 2 weeks in Tenerife . too hot, not enought to do , small but nice appartment and worst of all... other people in the pool upon return we booked a lovely dibb villa and off we go 1 week today . See the grass is greener
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 09, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
holidayrep
slightly serious Dibber

holidayrep's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by storm View Post
DH & DD said last year that they didnt want to go back this year
So we booked 2 weeks in Tenerife . too hot, not enought to do , small but nice appartment and worst of all... other people in the pool upon return we booked a lovely dibb villa and off we go 1 week today . See the grass is greener
But that is because you are comparing apples and oranages. You could have gone to another part of the States, or travelled through some of your Europe. Or you could have stayed in a Villa in tenerife, organised to go to water parks a few days and other days out, that is comparing a more like for like experience.
holidayrep is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 09, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinker
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Many thanks for all your replies

It's not that they don't love Florida its that perhaps the last trip was so good and we did so many different things (not many parks though) that maybe we can't beat it or match it again. ? I think that in a few years they'd go back.

I daren't leave my son alone, he's a typical teenager, its not unknown for him to leave the front door unlocked when he goes out.

Daughter will be at Uni so it's not a great problem if she doesn't want to go on hols with us (would love her to come with us though)

Wife is not too fussyabout where we go but like me she's not a beach person, we have to have things to do.
Maybe I'll have to accept that the kids have grown up and instead take my wife on a trip to the West Coast as she's never been there.

How sad, I am dreading when my kids grow out of Florida, hope it never happens. lol
Old 7 Oct 09, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
paulac
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

I know what you mean. I sat on the plane coming home in August thinking this may well be the last time.

I have to admit though I am looking forward to seeing more of the world, probably just DH and I as the teens definitely seem to have lost interest in travelling with us.

Sept 1998 - Sheraton Safari Hotel
Oct 2000 - Holiday Inn Family Suites (now Nickelodeon)
Aug 2002 - Villa
Aug 2005 - Cypress Pointe Resort - & Universal HRH
Aug 2007 - Disney Caribbean Beach Resort
Apr 2008 - The Fountains, Disney YC & Universal RPR
Aug 2009 - Cypress Pointe Grande Villas & Universal RPR
& Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
paulac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 09, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
kjb442
Imagineer

kjb442's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Grounds for divorce i'd say !
kjb442 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 09, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SugarRush
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I agree with the posts about not comparing sitting on a beach in lager lout parts of spain and florida. Lets face it Orlando is SO fake like LV but we love it. But there are so many fab places out there. I love egypt and would go back in a heartbeat, i have a list of all the places i want to visit and would love to take 6 months out and travel the states and see what America has to offer, similarly would love to do that with NZ and Canada.
There is a whole wide world out there apart from Orlando, spread those wings
Old 7 Oct 09, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi
Why not combine Orlando with a cruise to the caribbean as well , we have booked one week Orlando and then 2wks Caribbean cruise best of both worlds and something for all the family. I have free car hire in Orlando with free insurance and a house on the Regal Palms Spa resort complex which cost me £100 for the week, so the extra week isn't costing a lot more and 3 weeks is more relaxing than 2.
Old 8 Oct 09, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
loopydiamond
Imagineer

I like the sound of ' a solo's trip to florida' too, my children have grown up and like to holiday with their friends now, I'm single with no Florida Fanatic Friends ... so unsure of when i will go there again , although i was interested to hear about some dibbers going it alone, maybe i'll have to think about that.