Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jun 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Best time to reveal the surprise?

Hey,

We are going back for our 2nd trip in October, currently this is a surprise for my son Charlie (8)

The reason for this trip is because Charlie lost his Daddy last year and my long term partner and I really wanted to do something for him as he’s done so well and we are just so proud of his maturity and how well he is done over the last year. He’s handled his grief in a way that’s astounded me. His capacity to face such pain yet still be so incredibly kind and compassionate to others is staggering.

After our last trip, Charlie has mentioned how much he’d love to go back and stay in a Disney hotel and so we’ve booked Coronado Springs for 10 days.
Initially I thought we would tell him the morning we go, but then I decided that could be too overwhelming so thought we’d tell him the weekend before.
I’m now thinking maybe I shouldn’t deprive him of the build up.

So when have you broken the news? Any suggestions on the best time to tell him?
Thanks in advance.
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Chrissie H
Very Serious Dibber

Chrissie H's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I think about a week before would be nice and then he could enjoy the last minute build up and planning. I have watched a lot of travel day vlogs where children have been told on the travel day but a lot of them haven’t coped very well and got quite upset.
Chrissie H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Charlie sounds like a very special individual.

Especially since he's said he'd love to go back, I'd tell him a.s.a.p. so he - and you - can enjoy the build-up and planning together.

It sounds like it would be a boost for him knowing he's going, as well as getting involved in organising and anticipating what you'll do.

Have a fantastic trip.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 02:55 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

We normally tell ours about 10-14 days before we go (they're now 16 and 18 and have no idea about our October trip that was booked last April). We've done it both ways - told them straight away and they've had the long wait, and kept it a surprise and told them nearer the time, and they've both told us they prefer the surprise. They have zero interest in planning, and when it's such a long time away, they don't enjoy the build up, they just feel the long wait. With 10-14 days they get really excited, can tell friends, go shopping, pack their bag etc. Every family is different though, so it's finding what works best for yours

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Ah, bless him. He sounds like a wonderful little boy.
I also think a week or 2 begore you go for the reveal - he might appreciate being included in the build-up, watching a few Youtube videos of rides etc & getting to pack his own carry-on.
As others have said, on-the-day reveals often don’t go to plan.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Maybe tell him when you are getting ready to book fast passes? Then involve him in choosing what to book. He sounds like a lovely child and I’m sure he’s going to appreciate what you have done regardless of when you tell him. I just think FP time is a ‘natural‘ time to tell him, if you see what I mean.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

My children at a similar age loved the build up, the planning, the seeing what’s new etc so I’d be telling him sooner rather than later so he’s got something magical to look forward to. He’ll be able to have some input about the fastpasses you choose - and I think most children like to be involved in decision making to some extent.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bullpeppar
Imagineer

Bullpeppar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would agree with bluedave, tell him as early as possible to let him savour the excitement of the build up which will add to his enjoyment of the trip.

DLP-Santa Fe '01DLP-Cheyenne '03Quality Inn Jul'05 Oak Plantation Resort-Jul'07-3wksDLP-Sequoia Dec'08Hamlet Crt-Jul'09-3wksHamlet Crt,NY,HRH-Jul'11-3wksRPR & Rotonda-Jul'12 Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'13-3wksRPR,Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'14Watersong,RPR,Rotonda Jul'15-3 wksWatersong,RPR,Rotonda-Jul'17-3wks LGI, Watersong,RPR-July ‘19
Bullpeppar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Whenever you tell him I’m sure you will pick the right time for him. I hope you have a wonderful time.
I took my niece and nephew (aged 9 and 12) 3 years ago for my sisters 50th present. Told them the night before at the Radisson at Manchester Airport then went for a TGI Fridays. They still talk about the surprise now as being the best day they’ve ever had.
My sister felt this was the best time for her children so went with that. X
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

Tell him when you can book ADRs and you can book and get excited together.
He sounds like a special little boy x
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List