Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jul 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Day trips in my area

Looking for inspiration, DH has two weeks holiday in a couple of week’s time when we were going to Athens, but obviously we aren’t able to. We considered taking our touring caravan away but still feel it’s a little early so would prefer to go for a few day trips.

We are trying to think of places that will be less crowded, so not theme parks or large seasides. We live in South Wales so day trip can be anywhere from the Severn Bridge to Tenby in the west, or over the Severn Bridge into Avonmouth or Somerset, or Gloucestershire/Cotswolds area.

We are three adults, me, DH and DD19 and our dog (but he can stay at home some days) and we love walks, country parks and animal parks, not so keen on shopping trips. So far I’ve shortlisted

Folly Farm
The Wild Place
St Fagans
Duffryn Gardens
Bristol Suspension Bridge and Clifton Downs
National Botanical Gardens of Wales
Swansea Bays

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance, Sue
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Westonburt arboretum

Cheddar Gorge area

Walk the coastal path and / or Offa's Dyke.

The Gower?

A wander round some nice Cotswold villages and a dog friendly outdoor pub lunch?

Sorry your holiday plans didn't come to fruition. Hope you have some lovely day trips. There is plenty in striking distance. May have better luck of stuff being open if you headed to England though sadly.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Looking for inspiration, DH has two weeks holiday in a couple of week’s time when we were going to Athens, but obviously we aren’t able to. We considered taking our touring caravan away but still feel it’s a little early so would prefer to go for a few day trips.

We are trying to think of places that will be less crowded, so not theme parks or large seasides. We live in South Wales so day trip can be anywhere from the Severn Bridge to Tenby in the west, or over the Severn Bridge into Avonmouth or Somerset, or Gloucestershire/Cotswolds area.

We are three adults, me, DH and DD19 and our dog (but he can stay at home some days) and we love walks, country parks and animal parks, not so keen on shopping trips. So far I’ve shortlisted

Folly Farm
The Wild Place
St Fagans
Duffryn Gardens
Bristol Suspension Bridge and Clifton Downs
National Botanical Gardens of Wales
Swansea Bays

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance, Sue
Might be an idea to check the St Fagans website before you go for days that it’s open. Think it opens for a limited number of days from the beginning of August. I hadn’t heard of the Wild Place before, think that will be on our list of places to visit so thanks for posting.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Parc cwm darran is a nice walk Bargoed area. I like Aberdulais too with the waterfall. Barry Island is nice for a walk, we have Cosmeston near us which is nice for a walk too.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

We live in the Midlands but drive to West Wales often as it’s where I’m from originally. Last year we drove cross country through Shropshire and down through Builth... it was lovely and for miles it was just us and the sheep lol.

Coming up the other way, Ross on Wye is nice and Monmouth looks nice although we have only driven through.

How about the National Botanic Gardens of Wales?

Pendine Sands?

I wouldn’t dismiss taking your caravan down West Wales for a couple of days ... I know how much you love it down there and it would do you good 😀
Col&Ali is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Westonburt arboretum

Cheddar Gorge area

Walk the coastal path and / or Offa's Dyke.

The Gower?

A wander round some nice Cotswold villages and a dog friendly outdoor pub lunch?

Sorry your holiday plans didn't come to fruition. Hope you have some lovely day trips. There is plenty in striking distance. May have better luck of stuff being open if you headed to England though sadly.
Thanks for these, I’ve not heard of Westonburt Arboretum so I’m going to check that out as it sounds a good idea.

I did consider Cheddar but feel it may be crowded as it often is in summer, likewise the Cotswolds villages. Although we often head to the Cotswolds with our caravan and some villages are busier than others so it could be a possibility

Our son lives in Swansea so we are planning a day there and could meet him at one of the Gower beaches which would be nice.

It is a case of considering what’s open too, especially here in Wales. We are disappointed about missing out on Greece this year but we’re all in the same boat with that 😢 We will visit again one day and meanwhile we will still enjoy the time off and use it to see a bit more of our local area 😀

Edited at 08:12 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
Might be an idea to check the St Fagans website before you go for days that it’s open. Think it opens for a limited number of days from the beginning of August. I hadn’t heard of the Wild Place before, think that will be on our list of places to visit so thanks for posting.
Thanks for that, I hadn’t realised St Fagans wouldn’t be open until August. Such a shame especially as our dog loves a walk there 😂

We’ve not visited Wild Place Project before, so it will be a new one for us. It’s a sister park to Bristol Zoo which we often visit but Bristol Zoo isn’t open yet, although I think they will be open by the time of our holiday
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney_l81 View Post
Parc cwm darran is a nice walk Bargoed area. I like Aberdulais too with the waterfall. Barry Island is nice for a walk, we have Cosmeston near us which is nice for a walk too.
You’ve named 3 places we’ve not been to 😂 isn’t it strange how we miss places so close? I will check out Parc Cwm Darran as I’ve not even heard of it. Aberdulais is one we’ve often passed by so we definitely should stop for a walk, the same with Cosmeston.
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Margam park? (if the weather is nice!)
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
We live in the Midlands but drive to West Wales often as it’s where I’m from originally. Last year we drove cross country through Shropshire and down through Builth... it was lovely and for miles it was just us and the sheep lol.

Coming up the other way, Ross on Wye is nice and Monmouth looks nice although we have only driven through.

How about the National Botanic Gardens of Wales?

Pendine Sands?

I wouldn’t dismiss taking your caravan down West Wales for a couple of days ... I know how much you love it down there and it would do you good 😀
The drive through mid Wales is stunning, we visited Snowdonia a couple of years ago and drove up through Builth and Newtown area. We stopped several times to just admire the view and the kites flying overhead, it was one of the best drives we’ve ever had, so much nicer than motorway routes 😀

Monmouth is really nice, you should go for a look around. We’ve not been to Ross on Wye despite it being really close to us so that could be a good idea too.

We are thinking of going to the Botanic Gardens, we visited it around 17 years ago when DD was a toddler, so it would be good to see it again

We are planning to take our caravan away in August for a couple of days. We considered taking it this break, and still may, but it would be just a week after sites in Wales open although we could go to England which has been open longer so may be less busy. Our holiday weeks are the main holiday ones though so we feel it could be a bit too full then.