Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Sep 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Oil filled radiator

Has any got or using one and what do you think of them. Husband having to work from home. He’s taken over the conservatory as his office. He’s using an electric heater when needed but will def need something during winter months. I thought of an oil filled one - put it on early and turn off in afternoon . Would that be cheaper than an electric one ? Thanks
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We have one and think it is great. I used to work from home and rather then put the heating on during the day, I used one in out study. We found it convenient for extra heat.
The one issue to think about is where to store it when not in use.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

You can burn a fair amount of money to cover the cost of buying then running an oil filled radiator when you already have a heater and CH (I assume) . I doubt you would save anything if you add the 2 together (it may even be cheaper to run the CH than buy a new radiator and pay to run it) Over the current cost
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Mobile

We have just dug ours out from the depths of our garage for the same reason. DH is working at home indefinitely as we are about to go into lockdown. He has set up in our little bedroom so not a very big space to heat.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

An oil filled one is still electric but they have a thermostat so will be cheaper to run than any heater that doesn't have one.
They do get nice and warm quite quickly
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I use one in my office when working from home. It’s very efficient and has a thermostatic control.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you everyone- we do have central heating but it’s not in conservatory and we don’t want it on all day. Think we shall try one.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

We had one (or two) in every room last Christmas when our boiler packed up.
We found them excellent and I can’t say I particularly noticed a difference in our bills over all

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

For working from home, sitting still and zoom etc if recommend a heated blanket for his knee. I know, it sounds ridiculous but they are so snuggly, discreet and cheap to run. Mine is a thing of joy, got it in Aldi last October.
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I have an electric one that I use in the study rather than putting the heating on all day. I do sometimes use a hot water bottle which is lovely, plus it keeps my back warm when stiff