Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Oct 20, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Spear
Trying for More Ears

BA Upgrade Cost

I haven’t booked with BA before, but I have booked with BA to go next year. I’m interested to check on the cost of upgrading the flight. But when I try to do this on manage my booking I keep getting an error message about servicing my booking.

Does anyone know the best way of checking the cost of upgrading a flight that’s booked with BA?

Thanks in advance.
Spear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Have you tried ringing them?
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Spear
Trying for More Ears

I didn’t fancy the long queue time on the phone. I was hoping for an app/online way of checking. I just wanted to keep a eye on the upgrade price then jump on if I got a good deal.

I know with virgin Atlantic you can track the upgrade cost on the app, and that’s how I got a good upgrade price for my flights in 2019.
Spear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

You may not have an upgradeable fare on your original booking. BA don't have an app/online way of checking - if BA do offer upgrades you will find it on MMB nearer the time of travel or be offered a paid for upgrade at the airport.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Dis88
Trying for More Ears

I had the same problem a few weeks ago! Tried to check via MMB but kept getting an error. I ended up calling them and got a very reasonable price for the upgrade so definitely worth a try giving them a call
Dis88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Spear View Post
I haven’t booked with BA before, but I have booked with BA to go next year. I’m interested to check on the cost of upgrading the flight. But when I try to do this on manage my booking I keep getting an error message about servicing my booking.

Does anyone know the best way of checking the cost of upgrading a flight that’s booked with BA?

Thanks in advance.
Did you book with BA or via a third party? And if with BA, was it flight-only or a package with hotel and/or car?

Third party bookings, which also includes package bookings made with BA Holidays, cannot be amended / upgraded direct with the airline, you have to go through the party you booked with (which usually means calling).

Flight-only bookings made direct with BA should be upgradeable online, but sometimes it doesn’t work and BA.com can be glitchy at the best of times.

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
You may not have an upgradeable fare on your original booking. BA don't have an app/online way of checking - if BA do offer upgrades you will find it on MMB nearer the time of travel or be offered a paid for upgrade at the airport.
All BA public cash fares are upgradeable with money (though the cost can be prohibitive), the non-upgradeable fares apply when using Avios for upgrade.

Special offer upgrades in MMB can appear at any time from 48 hours after the booking is made (I’ve seen reports of these appearing sooner, but never seen it myself except when OLCI opens less than 48 hours after the booking was made). BA now sometimes emails these offers too, but it’s not guaranteed.

Edited at 10:58 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Did you book with BA or via a third party? And if with BA, was it flight-only or a package with hotel and/or car?

Third party bookings, which also includes package bookings made with BA Holidays, cannot be amended / upgraded direct with the airline, you have to go through the party you booked with (which usually means calling).

Flight-only bookings made direct with BA should be upgradeable online, but sometimes it doesn’t work and BA.com can be glitchy at the best of times.

All BA public cash fares are upgradeable with money (though the cost can be prohibitive), the non-upgradeable fares apply when using Avios for upgrade.

Special offer upgrades in MMB can appear at any time from 48 hours after the booking is made (I’ve seen reports of these appearing sooner, but never seen it myself except when OLCI opens less than 48 hours after the booking was made). BA now sometimes emails these offers too, but it’s not guaranteed.
Hi... sorry to hijack!

I have business class flights booked with Avios and a companion voucher. They didn’t have first available. So would I not be able to upgrade with money to first? Or would I have to hope that reward seats become available for First?
sbchannel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sbchannel View Post
Hi... sorry to hijack!

I have business class flights booked with Avios and a companion voucher. They didn’t have first available. So would I not be able to upgrade with money to first? Or would I have to hope that reward seats become available for First?
Can I ask a couple of questions first - where are you travelling to and did you book using the 50% Avios offer that finished yesterday along with your companion voucher?
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sbchannel
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
Can I ask a couple of questions first - where are you travelling to and did you book using the 50% Avios offer that finished yesterday along with your companion voucher?
Travelling from LAX to LHR. Didn’t use the 50% off Avios as its September 2021 so outside of the offer dates. I couldn’t get a first reward flight back (did outbound) even at 1am!
sbchannel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sbchannel View Post
Travelling from LAX to LHR. Didn’t use the 50% off Avios as its September 2021 so outside of the offer dates. I couldn’t get a first reward flight back (did outbound) even at 1am!
Thanks for the reply - you can't upgrade by cash to First and you will have to see if reward seats become available. If you do change to F then you will be charged the one way mileage difference for 1 person from Club to First (as you have used your 2-4-1 voucher), any applicable difference in taxes between the two cabins at the time and £35pp change fee.

Edited at 10:19 PM.