Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Oct 17, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

the amount of pressure on them is ridiculous and its only set to get worse with the scrapping of course work grading and an exam only result not all kids are academic and you are going to have lots of kids failing to reach the standards required and made to feel like they are worthless/not good enough even though they did the best they could its no wonder that they are saying kids mental health is suffering.

Dd did her gcses this year and ended up with severe anxiety and having panic attacks due to the stress. She was having to go into school early and stay for revision lessons after school then given hours of work to complete in the evenings.

I've already been told that ds will struggle with the new system and will need to attend additional lessons to try and get up to a standard good enough to pass and he's only in year 8

Edited at 09:39 PM.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNewbie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
You tube all the way for us as well especially for maths .
If you could recommend any maths ones is be very grateful. DS is taking GCSE's this year and he's really struggling :-(.
DisneyNewbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 17, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

[QUOTE=School teacher;12898706]
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Schools seem to put kids under way too much pressure imo. My DD was very academic and always did very well (she's 22 now and has graduated from Uni this year) but she ended up ill when doing her GCSEs and the pressure didn't come from us.

And the pressure from schools comes from OFSTEd, not that I'm defending schools, but being a teacher myself I know how much pressure we are under to ensure the children get as high a grade as possible.
Exactly and then they have the audacity to moan about how schools are not offering a broad enough curriculum and too many are teaching to the test! :angry: :angry:

(Apparently my rant is not over!)
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 17, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Well firstly your not a failure if you don't get a level 5 or above in GCSE's.. I know so many teens that didn't achieve that but have gone on to do good things.

My DD's friend struggled big time at school specially maths, she got a D, resat it in college twice passed it this year and has just landed a fab job in a bank.

Schools rarely tell kids this, but if you don't get the required level you will get the chance to retake the exams in college , it really isn't the end of the world if you don't get the grade first time around.

Another of Chloe's friends got awful exams results some of them spelt out FUDGE.. yep F, undergraded, D, G,E... She was pretty upset but she picked herself up got a job in a nursery did maths and english at functional skills level and just this year re did them at GSCE level and passed and she's now doing a level 3 Btec.

I never put any pressure on my DD and she's now got a job she loves as a apprentice TA. And I won't on my son next year, I hope he gets the level 4/5's but if he doesn't he can resit the ones that he needs to.. He's got his goals in life he knows where he want's to go and a imedia GCSE isn't going to help him with those one bit..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 17, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

My dd is in her a levels year and we've just started looking round dance colleges for next year.
If it's what your DD really wants to do, start looking now at what she needs to get in. Some do courses for 16+ so if she knows what's needed for applications and auditions now it gives her something to focus on. They normally still need English and maths at a C equivalent but that's pretty standard for anything.
Good luck
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 17, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Level 5 is only "essential" in Maths and English so I wouldn't worry about the biology.

By year 10 it is difficult to catch up if you haven't mastered basic maths in primary school but it is not impossible. I would get some private tuition for maths and just fail science gloriously.

What other GCSEs are being taken?
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 17, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Yes there is a lot of pressure on kids to pass exams,this is to ensure the schools keep up their stats,nothing to do with education.
Its very sad when my 27 year old God daughter who is a history and politics teacher is already disillusioned with teaching as she is expected to get as many to pass as grade C and not to worry about the high fliers who could achieve more.
She feels her job to get everyone to achieve the best grade possible.
My 6 year old dgd is very bright,however school is not stretching her,already switching off.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
What about additional tuition? its not that expensive and a couple of hours a week at home could help, we did this for our Autistic son and it helped loads. we paid £10 per hour for this.
Old 16 Oct 17, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

There are so many students who are fantastically talented but are deemed failures as they’re not academic. I think it’s crazy that we push, push push so many to get to university, where they get in debt and many struggle to get a job afterwards.
We should be inspiring the young to be plumbers, electricians, builders etc and realise not everyone is academic but that everyone is just as worthwhile as the next person.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 17, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My daughter has so many struggles, we have opted for her to do a day release at college in hair and beauty as her dream is to work on the cruise ships.. if you can manage it maybe a tutor will help. The school surely should have picked up on her struggling? I really feel for the kids that find subjects hard, I remember sitting in class and it was like I was reading a different language! Xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List