Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 13 Feb 20, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Which rides have great standby queues?

Are there any rides that have fun standby queues that you miss out on by using the FP line (at Disney and at Universal)?

Edited to explain why I’m asking, since my vague question had led a few people to think I was considering spending hours in standby queues just to see them. I’m definitely not!

It’s just that when planning FPs, I’m considering which rides to FP, and which might be ok to queue for at rope drop / pre-park opening / EMH. If any of them have great standby queues, AND reasonable queue times at rope drop etc, then I could save my pre-arrival FPs for other rides instead. I hope that makes sense.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025

Edited at 10:15 PM.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
For Disney my personal opinion is no, none are so exciting you miss out by doing FP. That said, my queue threshold is pretty low so my idea of worth it and others may be different. It does disappoint me that I’ve never seen the avatar in the tank on FoP but not enough that I’d queue over an hour.
At Universal it’s definitely worth doing standby for the Harry Potter rides at least once but I can’t really think of any others.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
For Disney my personal opinion is no, none are so exciting you miss out by doing FP. That said, my queue threshold is pretty low so my idea of worth it and others may be different. It does disappoint me that I’ve never seen the avatar in the tank on FoP but not enough that I’d queue over an hour.
At Universal it’s definitely worth doing standby for the Harry Potter rides at least once but I can’t really think of any others.
I'm just planning our next visit and would like to try and ride flight of passage once on on standby to see the avatar in the tank, but rope drop lines are so long... I think we'd only do it if the wait was reasonable at park closing.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
Are there any rides that have fun standby queues that you miss out on by using the FP line (at Disney and at Universal)?
Following with interest, although the queue would have to be extraordinary for us to ride on standby if FP was available
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post

The Harry Potter queues are good, but we did them before they put the rides onto the express pass system and we certainly wouldn’t go standby to do them again.

I can’t think of anything that I would want to spend an hour or more in a queue for just to see what is there. To me the more interesting queue experiences are there to make waiting more tolerable, but not to actually seek out for themselves.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I love the Peter Pan standby queue! But only very first thing in the morning when wait time is low.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Following with interest, although the queue would have to be extraordinary for us to ride on standby if FP was available
Haha, yes! I should have been more clear.

I’m not planning to simply turn up and queue for hours - it’s more that when planning FPs, I’m considering which rides to FP, and which might be ok to queue for at rope drop / pre-park opening / EMH. If any of them have great standby queues, AND reasonable queue times at rope drop, then I could save my pre-arrival FPs for other rides instead.

Hope that makes sense! I’ll edit my original question to clarify why I’m asking.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
That’s interesting, thank you. We’ll have two days at Universal without express passes, and three days with them, so we were planning to spend our first two days finding our feet, taking in Diagon Alley, etc, and just doing anything with reasonable queues (plus some time out of the parks). Maybe we should plan to head to the Harry Potter rides on those days that we don’t have express passes, just so we don’t feel like we’re wasting our passes standing in the normal lines once we’ve got them!

Edited at 10:30 PM.
Old 13 Feb 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
I'm just planning our next visit and would like to try and ride flight of passage once on on standby to see the avatar in the tank, but rope drop lines are so long... I think we'd only do it if the wait was reasonable at park closing.
This is my thinking too - I’d only do this for any ride if the standby queue times were reasonable.

I hadn’t even considered standby for FOP with it being so popular, but it’s interesting to know about the avatar. If we ever did see a good standby time for it, we’d join the queue, but I won’t hold my breath for it, and we’ll definitely be hoping to get a FP for this one!
Old 13 Feb 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
The Harry Potter queues are good, but we did them before they put the rides onto the express pass system and we certainly wouldn’t go standby to do them again.

I can’t think of anything that I would want to spend an hour or more in a queue for just to see what is there. To me the more interesting queue experiences are there to make waiting more tolerable, but not to actually seek out for themselves.
No, definitely not considering waiting for hours just to enjoy the queue!

I’ve edited my question to explain why I’m asking, as it’s confused some people. I’m only considering standby queues if the times are likely to be reasonable, eg rope drop, etc, and only if we want to use our FPs for other rides.

Edited at 10:28 PM.