Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 27 Feb 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Claireasol
Getting Excited

How far is too far?

Hi all

I am struggling to find a suitable villa for us. Our flights are booked so now need a bed I've had lots of 'sorry we are booked' emails. We are going in 11 weeks!

I have found one in Southern Dunes that pretty much ticks the boxes, but it's much further out than I actually wanted to go. It's in Southern Dunes. I have done a search on here and there is mixed feelings as expected however some people have mentioned the traffic can make the travelling time to the parks up to an hour... is it really that bad? The description actually says 20 mins from the parks (I know most say this!). The area is lovely I hear but i'm just not sure about how far south it is and how long we spend in the car each day - potentially stop / starting in traffic.

What would you do?
Claireasol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

if you put your criteria here the some dibbers might be least able to help you narrow you search as some will have knowledge of the which communities have the type of properties you require. on a rough calculation you should be travelling after Easter rush so should be no issue getting a place
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sorry if I missed the link in oeamon's post but try this DIBB villa enquiry and those that fit your requirements will let you know

We don't go to the parks now so driving time not an issue I'm afraid

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Mick
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
I think sometimes people get very hung up on being 2, 4, 6, 8 even 10 minutes closer to the parks but when they're going to anywhere from 8-18 hours a day in the villa, it's the villa itself that's important.

Ideas of costs for a selection of communities from uber website to Magic Kingdom going west on 192, then down 27*:
$15.54 Emerald Island (about 1/2 way along 192 to 27 from World Drive)
$18.86 High Grove (27/192 junction)
$20.53 Legacy Park (about 1/4 way down 27 to I4)
$23.36 Hampton Lakes (about 1/2 way down 27 to I4)
$25.42 Ridgewood Lakes (about 1/2 way down 27 from I4 to Haines City)
$27.64 Southern Dunes (just north of Haines City)
* Championsgate communities similar in price/distance to High Grove and Legacy Park.

Given time is money, this probably offers a relatively good guide. No big step changes there - it's a continuum.

When we used to visit the parks regularly before 2010 and staying in the Berry Town Center area I always used to respond to this question in the same way.

Firstly before the Florence Villa Grove Road, Westside Boulevard, Funie Steed Road "short cut" was an option I used to say that you could lose 10 minutes simply by catching every light on 192 on red.

Secondly when you park up at MK for instance you could be lucky and get parked at the end nearest the trolley or, if not, a ten minute walk from the far end of the parking lot.

In my humble opinion the villa facilities are far more important than an "alleged" driving time to the parks.

Mick

Edited at 02:46 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JulieB01
VIP Dibber

JulieB01's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Claire

I own a villa on Southern Dunes, whilst it is probably the furthest away from the parks, the suggestion of an hour away seems extreme. If it has taken someone an hour to get from SD to Disney then i suspect the issue was more than just heavy traffic, probably an accident or breakdown somewhere, which could happen at any time on any route.
Id be more concerned about the facilities the villa itself offered.

But that is just my opinion

Julie

Welcome to our own Home From Home

4 bed/3 bath Golf Course Villa with Pool and Games Room

Updated carpets and kitchen appliances in 2021

JulieB01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I agree with the above - if the villa holiday works for you it really doesn't matter that much - we found the time ramps up in and around the parks depending on traffic, an any extra miles further out are done quickly.

The whole commute doesn't really work for us, and tend to go for town houses which really can be much closer to everything (including walking to restaurants) - even worked when there were 5 of us. So a thought if you really want to get down the travel time.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We are 1 mile north of the dunes which is a beautiful community with 3 walkable supermarket 3 walkable restaurants not including the clubhouse and all the other chains and several independents 20 mins away in Winter Haven we can do Disney in22 mins but like everywhere it's traffic dependant
All the community's down our end are very popular for rentals
Helen.
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think timings are like how long is a piece of string so we prefer to quote distance.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I have stayed off site and on, although not offsite for many years. To me that is the big difference if you are worried about travel time. As someone said, much of the time getting in to the parks is on Disney property- getting into the parking lot, parking, getting to the tram, getting into the park. If you want quick entry (and convenience) stay on site and take a bus to the park-you get dropped off at the entry and save the 20 minutes or more it takes from parking a car to getting in to the park.

I am not sure it matters if it takes you 10 or 20 minutes to get on property. It is the rest of the trip that adds to the commute time.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We always, and I mean always, end up the wrong end of the parking line. This was particularly annoying at Sea World when caught in a storm! We were the wrong side of the bridge and could practically see the blooming car from where we were sheltering!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List