Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jan 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile Prom dresses

Hi all - I went with eldest dd yesterday to look at prom dresses - I couldn’t believe the price! £400-600 for the standard ones. Now it’s not that we can’t ‘afford’ that as such but more a case of I don’t think it’s value for money for something she will wear for 5 hours.
My dd agrees luckily so looking at other options (cheaper dresses, eBay etc) luckily my dd is a size 8 and 5’8 so looks good in most stuff.
Any tips on good places to look? X

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I will keep an eye on this as dd14 will have prom 2021. Our original plan had been to get one in Florida but at the moment we don't think we're going this year and then won't be going till after prom.
Old 6 Jan 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I'm going back a few years but my daughter had a gorgeous prom dress from boohoo they used to have a prom dress section, it was less than 40 quid but even a few years back some her friends were paying hundreds of pounds. It cost us more for shoes and accessories lol, I'd be wary of ordering from ebay I read quite a few comments about poor sizings so maybe read reviews properly and take that into consideration
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Out DD got a beautiful designer classic dress from John Lewis Sale, it was not sparkly or anything like that just a classy full length dress that hung beautiful, it was about £100, she has worn it again
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

If you visit one of the TK Maxx in one of the cities, they often have a fantastic selection of evening type gowns, many of them designer. No sure where abouts you are but the Manchester store had some beautiful ones in just before New Year. They weren’t at all expensive either.

Edited at 02:31 PM.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Have you looked at hiring a dress? A couple of people bought off Ebay from China and the quality and fit was diabolical so they had to go out and buy again. Debenhams House of Fraser Coast and Boohoo all have lovely dresses. Occasionally you can grab a bargain in Tkmaxx. DDs dress was £250 from a bridal shop 5 years ago. I've donated a gown to Prom Ally too if you want it to go to a great cause after its use. She was recommended on here a phenomenal young woman who loans gifted gowns to people who otherwise couldn't go to Prom. The other aspect of her ethos is eco friendly fashion. If you want to reuse a beautiful gown rather than buying another new one.

Edited at 10:57 AM.
soooexcited! is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

One of my daughters friends got her dress from ASOS, I think she paid between £60 and £80

Monsoon have some lovely dresses which should be cheaper than your prom dress shops
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Are you in Florida before Prom? My daughter had 2 proms one in 5th year and one in 6th year(Scotland). We got her first one in Florida and paid about £200 - £250 (can't remember exact amount). Her second one was bought locally and cost about £500 so double the cost!
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm hoping to pick one up in Ross Dress for Less on our upcoming trip.

Our budget is £100 plus shoes.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Some of DS’s friends have already secured theirs for this year and wow, they’re so expensive!
I know that the local prom dress shop will advise if someone at your school has already bought a particular dress which is handy but even so!
I’d also suggest John Lewis or even sample sales in bridal shops (obvs not a bridal gown though!)
I echo not buying from eBay. I’ve seen some horror stories!

Edited at 11:38 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List