Erial
VIP Dibber

New York, New York - May/June 2016 - Day 0, Pre-Travel Day

New York, New York
Friday 27th May 2016
Day 0 - Pre-Travel Day

Previous: Intros

So, today was finally pre-travel day.

Fortunately, the kids were at school and Jeff was at work until lunch time and so I could spend the morning do the last bit of packing on my own. Jeff and I very, very rarely fall out or disagree. That is, until it comes to packing! For some reason he totally stresses me out about it. I think it’s because he just gathers together a few shorts and t-shirts and last minute and thinks that’s all there is to the packing. Whereas I’ve spent weeks making sure the kids summer clothes still fit them, buying bits where need be, making sure we’ve got the toiletries, finding cameras, chargers, the itineraries, the tickets etc etc. But Jeff thinks packing is a 5 minute job! :angry:

So by the time Jeff got home from work we were all packed so he could then faff about with emptying the bins and the fridge etc. We picked the kids up from school and my mum popped around to say goodbye. We miss her and she misses us so much when we go away. She lives just around the corner from us and we see her most days as she does the school run for me on the days I work. So, not seeing us for a week is a long time for her. Izzy is particularly close to my mum (she’s like my mum’s mini-me) and really misses her when we’re away. We did give her the option of coming with us but she really doesn’t fancy New York!

Goodbyes all done, we soon set off for Manchester airport. We live about 50 minutes from the airport but we always like to stay at an airport hotel the night before, particularly for a morning flight. I’m always totally paranoid that if I left home on the morning of the flight I’d be stuck in horrendous traffic and miss it! Plus staying at the airport the night before makes the holiday last that little bit longer!

Our hotel of choice at Manchester airport is the Clayton Hotel (formerly Bewleys). It’s in a great location and we love their park and fly. The park and fly worked out at just £20 more than an overnight stay. £20 for a week’s parking is pretty good in my book. You just park in the temporary bays outside the hotel drop the keys off at reception and your car is back waiting there for you when you get back!

When we checked in we booked our shuttle bus for 6:30am. The shuttle bus really just takes you across the road and only takes 2 minutes but as you’ve got to cross a busy dual carriageway you can’t really walk it without taking your life into your own hands!

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and the food is always good here. Izzy has previously declared that they do the best pizza in the world! Unfortunately, they had removed pizza from their menu but we promised to get her some in New York ad she enjoyed the chicken strips she had instead!

After dinner we chilled in the room watching TV but only for a short while. We needed an early night as the alarm was set for 5:30am!

Next: Travel Day

Thanks for reading.
Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk

Edited at 05:37 PM.
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Sounds like you're off to a good start!
Old 9 Apr 17, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
DH stresses me out over packing too! Now the kids are all grown & it's just the 2 of us I still find it really stressful!
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 17, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bubble123 View Post
Sounds like you're off to a good start!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
DH stresses me out over packing too! Now the kids are all grown & it's just the 2 of us I still find it really stressful!
It's become a bit of a standing joke in the family. We have the 's' word (suitcases) and the 'p' word (packing)!

Thanks for reading.
Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Just discovered your trip report😊
We also live about 50 mins from Manchester Airport and last year we stayed st the Clayton. It was a great way to start the holiday- you are right- it definitely feels like the holiday has begun. I hate waiting around for travel day so by staying at a hotel it brings it forward just that little bit! 😉

Looking forward to reading the rest.👍
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 17, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Just discovered your trip report😊
We also live about 50 mins from Manchester Airport and last year we stayed st the Clayton. It was a great way to start the holiday- you are right- it definitely feels like the holiday has begun. I hate waiting around for travel day so by staying at a hotel it brings it forward just that little bit! 😉

Looking forward to reading the rest.👍
Ah yes, we love the Clayton. We're back there in 2 weeks time and then I really will be 'on holiday'!

Thank you for reading.
Claire
x