Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 7 Jun 17, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Quick trip, Pisa to Florence to Venice!

We were flying to Pisa with BA from T5 on the Monday after the stressful weekend of no flights due to an IT failure.

We arrived two hours prior to our flight and initially weren't allowed to drop off our bags, we were told to come back 90 minutes before our flight. There were lots of queues and very stressed staff. When we joined the queue people around us were dropping off their bags with more than the 90 minutes we were told which was quite annoying! It took around 45 minutes which was very frustrating. Then security took 20 minutes which was quick, just irritating as I was hoping to grab breakfast at Giraffe first. We just managed it, the service here was astounding, I said we have 15 minutes max is this possible, they promised and delivered! Amazing stuff.

As we approached our gate, it then flashed closed so we literally made it by the skin of our teeth! This did stress me a bit but once we were through passengers were till queueing in the tunnel leading to the plane so that was a small relief! The flight was fine, this was the first time I had flown BA since they introduced M&S food to buy, I will say here I am glad that I managed to get brekkie beforehand as we were eventually approached 20 minutes before landing! :angry:

We landed around 11.30am local time, collected bags and followed signs to the Pisamover which we caught to Pisa central, €2.70. It took around 4 minutes, we left our cases at the luggage place (€5 per bag). From here we chose to walk up to the Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles) via some piazzas and had a gelato on our way(Nutella/coconut and white choc) €2.50

We eventually find the Leaning tower and Duomo, take our many photos and chill on grass area before had a walk around the mini markets selling tat. Bought a magnet!

On our way back to the station we stopped at a trattoria and got Pizza/Salad/wine €10! Bargain. Was so good! The weather was very hot around 30 degrees! I forgot the sun cream so ended up with burnt shoulders...oops! Caught train to Firenze SMN, took around an hour and from here we walked to our airbnb. Got a bit lost so took 40 mins instead of 15! We had a lovely room and private bathroom. Would highly recommend airbnb, such an easy process and very reasonable. We had a shower then headed for bed, it had been a long day!

~~~~~~~~

Up nice and early and walked the easy way into the city centre. Took 15 mins!
Found Sant Maria Novello church by fluke and grabbed breakfast opposite here, I had bread and marmalade €5 washed down with an Americano, yum!

We walked to the Duomo, it was beautiful.

We visited the museum first, it was very nicely laid out and lots to see.

We left here and got into line for cupola climb, it wasn't particularly well signposted and the staff were very grumpy and not helpful in the slightest. The climb took around 20 mins. The most stressful part was the two way traffic on some narrow parts of the stairs! However the views were amazing!

I had seen this on a programme and really wanted to see the view from the dome down into the duomo. However you don't get to see this...a bit disappointing. Massive Perspex dirty screens blocking view then benches had been placed on the floor which gave a distorted view!

The painting inside the dome was stunning and the structure was very impressive. Would highly recommend it!

Once we had descended we needed to sit down so we grabbed gelato! €7! Majorly expensive I had Malaga (rum and raisin) and cookie. It wasn't the best unfortunately...

Next was the bell tower. As the Duomo, stunning views just a stressful climb with two way traffic! Was nice that you stopped at different levels on the way up though.

Walked via Palace Vecchio! Saw lots of Statues, unfortunately the fountain was under construction.

Walked along to Ponte Vecchio and got photos. Walked across the bridge to Michangelos Piazza. Found a mini supermarket and grabbed fresh fruit and water (.22 a bottle! Bargain) Sat in Martin Luther park and ate the fruit. It was very hot!

Topped up water bottles in fresh water fountain, then walked up to piazza, again more steps! Wider here though so no probs with two way traffic! MOAN! We were harassed by two Italian lads claiming to be free from drugs and asking for donations to support them. We felt very uncomfortable, made our excuses and got away. It wasn't just us they spoke to but it was very intimidating so be aware!
Made it up to piazza and views of the city were stunning! It was very open up here so very, very warm! We didn't stay too long.

We found an alternative exit, one to avoid the young men and ended up in a rose garden. The smells were amazing! We sat and chilled here for a while before heading back down.

Next stop was Santa Maria Croe. Apparently the Westminster abbey of Florence. It was an attractive building but they were setting up for an outdoor concert I think so the view was masked with metal seating!

Started to walk back and found a bar with happy hour! 2 cocktails €10 I had a mojito and Cuba libre. They were very strong!

On our way back I wanted to find an apertivo...we ended up in hard rock! All cocktails half price...rude not to stop! Ended up eating too as some food was also half price! Paid €40 for 6 cocktails and chicken wings/nachos! Can't complain...

~~~~~~~

Up early again. Checked out. Walked to train station grabbed croissants and coffee. Train to Verona!

Took just under 1.5hrs. Left luggage at drop off €6 and walked into the city centre, took a wrong turn so ended up walking an extra 10 mins It was very warm again, 29 degrees!
Headed to Piazza Bra and sat in shade admiring views. Checked out the arena. Built in AD30! Amazing stuff!

Walked up to Juliet's casa, it was so busy! Did the photo thing then walked up to pizzaza ... looking at goods. Bought a Pinocchio pencil for a friend.

Grabbed gelato €3.50 (tiramisu and cherry) and sat on a bench watching the world go by, love a people watch session!
Walked back to train station, bit quicker this time

Train to Venice... Took around 1.5hrs. Good journey.
Amazing views as we left S.M station, last time it was pitch black so I didn't get the full view. I took a video which I cant work out how to upload...
We got off the train and were hit with this view as we left the station.

We caught Vaparetto line 1 to Rialto €7.5, took 10mins ish.
Walked over Rialto following instructions and were at our airbnb within 2 minutes! Luck was not on our side though as no one was home
Eventually our host arrived. Place was fab, everything we needed plus more and only a few mins from Rialto!
We freshened up and went for a wander. Sun was starting to set so everything looked beautiful.

Choosing somewhere to eat was a bit stressful. Everywhere I suggested was met with 'I don't mind' response...very infuriating.
Anyway end up in a trattoria and have a fixed price @€13.5ea I had pasta amarticina and calamari. Despite being on an island surrounded by water the squid was not fresh, very annoying. We were also charged €2.50pp cover charge. Mental note to avoid this from now on...

Wanted to sample a spritzer as a local but no someone's feet hurt and they were tired so we ended up back at the room. They went to bed. I showered then went and sat by Rialto with my book, very therapeutic.

~~~~~~~~~

Had a street food tour booked this morning so up early and had breakfast supplied by room. Had toast, croissants, yog, coffee, fruit...was an amazing offering. They also supplied us bottled water which was handy.
Had a mooch around before we met our tour, not much opens before 9.30am except for breakfast.
Met outside San Salvador which was easy enough to find. Booked tour through viator. Our host Alexandra was fabulous. We walked miles and sampled some great foods. Learnt some very interesting facts.
Inside San Salvador;

Once we finished up we headed back towards room we even managed to get ourselves back from Dorsoduro without getting lost 'high five'!

We discovered a building next to Rialto Bridge that used to be a Post Office and is now a shopping Centre which has a roof top viewing spot...

From here we went to Doges Palace, I was desperate to walk over the Bridge of Sighs...

San Marco was heaving, so unpleasant. The palace is beautiful and the tour of palace to prisons was well signed and easy enough to do. Interesting facts and very well looked after. Lots of gold! Just two gripes though. Firstly it was very expensive at €20 each plus you didn't get an audio guides as apparently they're for groups only! So although I enjoyed it, I felt it wasn't the best value.
We walked up along the 'lagoon' side admiring bridge of sighs from the outside, then decided to wander. Ended up in Castello where we ate, I had spaghetti pesto 👌🏻 Was so good!

Also had a glass of prosecco which was good.
Wasn't so hot today, more humid but with a small breeze.
Walked back to our room as my friend needed to check her messages via wifi. Basically she was given a list of things to get from her mum, she had taken photos of her options and was waiting for approval...I did say the chances of her remembering where we had spotted the said items would be tricky but...
So off we go, bearing in mind her feet hurt as she had taken 3 pairs of very impractical shoes ( apparently you dress to impress in Italy )
Surprisingly enough she can't remember where she took photos and gets cross at me! I was so upset I couldn't even talk. You know when you think you know someone but yet they behave like a different person when away...
Anyway we eventually stumble upon similar items...does she buy them?! NO! Aaaashhhhh!
By this point I say I'm going to try and take photos of the sunset so I'd meet her back at the room. I needed a break! Photos taken, I then walk around taking in the ambience.
One thing I would say about Venice is that it is very safe, I didn't ever feel wary being on my own.
Favourite photo of the day...

~~~~~~~~~
Up early, have the yummy breakfast. Leave around 9 to catch water taxi...

Edited at 07:02 AM.
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 17, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
gtown
Proud to wear my Ears

What a brilliant trip, you make everything sound so easy. Italy is on my list for next year.
gtown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
gtown
Proud to wear my Ears

You have inspired me so much I've booked for August. Can you tell me, did you book the trains in advance, or at the station?

Ta

Gary
gtown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 17, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Your photos are stunning.
Old 22 Jun 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Christine_mufc
Trying for More Ears

Thanks for sharing, I love your photos!

My niece Summer meeting her favorite Princess at Epcot Dec 2015!
Christine_mufc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by gtown View Post
What a brilliant trip, you make everything sound so easy. Italy is on my list for next year.
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
You have inspired me so much I've booked for August. Can you tell me, did you book the trains in advance, or at the station?

Ta

Gary
It is easy! Honestly if I can manage it, you'll be fine!
I pre-booked trains through trenitalia but you can easily purchase tickets at the station.
Is this your first time to Italy? Where are you visiting?
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Your photos are stunning.
Originally Posted by Christine_mufc View Post
Thanks for sharing, I love your photos!
Thank you
Old 23 Jun 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue21
Serious Dibber

Great read thanks for posting. I am off to Pisa on Sunday, got a Villa booked for week with 5 other girly friends, can't wait. Fab scenery, fab food, fab prosecco and loads of sunshine. It will be like Tea with Mussolini (I bagsied the Cher role )
Blue21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
gtown
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi, flying to Venice, then on to Bologna, Florence, Rome, Naples and home. Can't wait after seeing your pictures.
Old 26 Jun 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Blue21 View Post
Great read thanks for posting. I am off to Pisa on Sunday, got a Villa booked for week with 5 other girly friends, can't wait. Fab scenery, fab food, fab prosecco and loads of sunshine. It will be like Tea with Mussolini (I bagsied the Cher role )
Hope you have a fab time!