Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 May 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
BigTimWelsh
I want to go now!

Mobile SFO-LAX itinerary August 2019

This site is a curse: 2 WDW trips and a NY done and now we’re off to the west coast

Not been there in 15 years but our trip (family of 4 DD13 and DS11) so far looks like:

3 nights SF
3 nights Yosemite village (big highlight for us, Mrs BT in particular)
1 night bishop/lone pine
2 nights LV (just a flavour)
5 nights LA (the sights plus at least one Disney day hopefully to visit Star Wars land)

Accom in SF booked (cowhide motor inn) and Yosemite (half dome village “tent”. We’re picking up a standard SUV at SFO and I’ve tried to break the driving into doable chunks to include Tioga Pass on the way out of Yosemite and Death Valley on the way to Vegas.

So, does it look OK so far? Would welcome some tips on:
Bishop vs Lone pine
More time in Vegas?
Where to stay in LA (Burbank if Disney is only a day or 2?)

Thanks !
BigTimWelsh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looks good except you will have an awful lot of driving/travel time for those 2 nights in Vegas. I’d either extend my stay there or put it on your list for another trip
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Looks good except you will have an awful lot of driving/travel time for those 2 nights in Vegas. I’d either extend my stay there or put it on your list for another trip
Agree. Now it is a stunning drive down 395 and you can go across Death Valley etc but to do all that for 2 nights in Vegas I’m not sure if it’s worth it with kids. If it was adults who would appreciate the scenery and love the journey as much as the destination I’d say yes but would your kids really appreciate the scenery or will they be on iPads and phones and asking how long more to Vegas?
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
BigTimWelsh
I want to go now!

Mobile

Cheers both, confirming what I’ve been thinking, LV is a big detour on the way to LA and we have to consider staying long enough to make it worthwhile.

Kids very excited about LV in particular for some reason.
BigTimWelsh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Here’s a British family that did the drive from Yosemite to Vegas stopping at Lone Pine.
Day 7 and Day 8 are the videos. Might give you an idea of what’s involved

... ?lis...O_KUo2H5cgmb7P
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We did the drive from Yosemite to Vegas in one go last July. It was a long day and we had relatively light traffic. We were really tired when we got there and it would have really impacted a 2 night stay. My kids were 16 and 17 and they loved it
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
BigTimWelsh
I want to go now!

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
We did the drive from Yosemite to Vegas in one go last July. It was a long day and we had relatively light traffic. We were really tired when we got there and it would have really impacted a 2 night stay. My kids were 16 and 17 and they loved it
I’m planning on breaking the trip at bishop or lone pine so the travel to LV is, say 4ish hours then dive in the pool once checked in.

But I guess that’s still a fair trek to only stay the 2 nights, see the strip and head off to LA (and another 5 hour drive).
Old 9 May 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi would add a day to LV and take one of LA area.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
lynne6705
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

:)

Originally Posted by BigTimWelsh View Post
This site is a curse: 2 WDW trips and a NY done and now we’re off to the west coast

Not been there in 15 years but our trip (family of 4 DD13 and DS11) so far looks like:

3 nights SF
3 nights Yosemite village (big highlight for us, Mrs BT in particular)
1 night bishop/lone pine
2 nights LV (just a flavour)
5 nights LA (the sights plus at least one Disney day hopefully to visit Star Wars land)

Accom in SF booked (cowhide motor inn) and Yosemite (half dome village “tent”. We’re picking up a standard SUV at SFO and I’ve tried to break the driving into doable chunks to include Tioga Pass on the way out of Yosemite and Death Valley on the way to Vegas.

So, does it look OK so far? Would welcome some tips on:
Bishop vs Lone pine
More time in Vegas?
Where to stay in LA (Burbank if Disney is only a day or 2?)

Thanks !
We stayed in the Burbank area for LA, we didnt do Disney but found it a great location for everything else, we booked a pool house through Booking.Com and found it perfect as loved the space after hotel rooms, I can send you the link if you are interested
Yosemite was the highlight of our trip too
lynne6705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BigTimWelsh
I want to go now!

Mobile

Originally Posted by lynne6705 View Post
We stayed in the Burbank area for LA, we didnt do Disney but found it a great location for everything else, we booked a pool house through Booking.Com and found it perfect as loved the space after hotel rooms, I can send you the link if you are interested
Yosemite was the highlight of our trip too
Thanks Lynne! Booking.com has been one of my search sites.