Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Jun 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
I'm no expert but have followed this thread from the beginning... I know, sad or what?
From reading this it appears to me that if you already have an ESTA approved you are "good to go" but if you are applying now you need to be aware that your name must be entered exactly as it is on the chevron part of your passport - since this rule could be enforced at any time.
That’s how I would consider it too. I can’t see even US Border force retrospectively applying the requirement to Estas taken out before it was asked for. No one knows if and when they’ll enforce it on those after it was required. Like everyone, I’m speculating only, but if they do I would expect it to be 2 years after they first started asking because by then it is easy for them to administer the rule. But don’t quote me on that if suddenly a dictum goes around next week at US Border Force saying enforce it on all newer Estas.

So this is my take for what it’s worth:

1. Old Esta where not required, I wouldn’t worry at all and just continue as normal.
2. New Esta where missed off- I’d be tempted to redo to be sure, but probably keep a watching brief on the boards such as on here, but this would give me a dilemma. I suspect all will be fine for the foreseeable future, but it depends on how risk adverse you are as to whether you’d say you’ll just do it again. Who knows the reason for them asking may be nothing to do with them intending to enforce, but just to rule out false positive matches. I’ve had one of them before where I was pulled aside by Virgin as some criminal with my first and last name was on a watch list they told me (all was fine I was permitted to continue)- can’t remember if it was pre or post Esta days but no middle name hugely increases the risk that the name at least is tagged and will require extra checking and manpower.
3. Applying now having read this thread (and thanks to those who originally raised it as it made me vigilant and I may still have missed it even with the new graphic and clarification), I’d definitely put it on if applying now, but I think everyone would- that then prevents the number 2 dilemma.

I think we can all also agree the Esta website is shockingly set out and worded- why not just put ‘First name, as listed exactly on passport including middle name if on passport’ clearly in the heading ?’ (Or similar) Bonkers. At least they have made it a bit clearer with the graphic.

Edited at 09:38 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Been thinking about this for a few weeks and decided to re do ours. They were done over a year ago but would rather pay it for peace of mind
Old 8 Jun 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As someone who has seen a family sent back at Orlando Immigration years ago for not having enough money. They had a small amount of cash and no cards. Basically the car hire insurance would have wiped most of it out, so they were turned back. Having seen that personally I would redo my ESTA if I hadn't included my middle name. Fortunately being on here when I had to complete new ESTA's back in March I included both our middle names.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by LozSteelers View Post
I must confess, this thread is long so I’ve only read a couple of pages.

We had our ESTA’s approved in January 2018 and I planned to use them again this year but I didn’t put middle names on.

Do I need to reapply?
You should be fine as the change appears to have come in around October 2018. Mine is from about the same time and does not have my middle name and I have not redone it but when I applied for my kids one's recently I made sure I put their middle name in.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
You should be fine as the change appears to have come in around October 2018. Mine is from about the same time and does not have my middle name and I have not redone it but when I applied for my kids one's recently I made sure I put their middle name in.
What have you done with your api shouldn't that match your esta and passport?
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tomdan View Post
What have you done with your api shouldn't that match your esta and passport?
Hi TD, API tends to be standalone, no requirement to match one's pp or ESTA. Many complete flight/accommodation info on ESTA, we always left non-compulsory boxes blank. US immigration take necessary acommodation/flight details from ones API.
Old 8 Jun 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by metalguru View Post
As someone who has seen a family sent back at Orlando Immigration years ago for not having enough money. They had a small amount of cash and no cards. Basically the car hire insurance would have wiped most of it out, so they were turned back. Having seen that personally I would redo my ESTA if I hadn't included my middle name. Fortunately being on here when I had to complete new ESTA's back in March I included both our middle names.
I can see why this might scare you, but it clearly gives the officer cause that you might be seeking to disappear into the US rather than go home. With the best will in the world, missing off a middle name when the rest match is not a way to escape detection if trying to enter the US with the intention of staying.

I too was glad I avoided the issue by reading about it before I had all passports back.
Old 8 Jun 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
I can see why this might scare you, but it clearly gives the officer cause that you might be seeking to disappear into the US rather than go home. With the best will in the world, missing off a middle name when the rest match is not a way to escape detection if trying to enter the US with the intention of staying.

I too was glad I avoided the issue by reading about it before I had all passports back.
I agree but I was just trying to show that immigration would refuse entry at the drop of a hat if the circumstances changed with regard to ESTAS and middle names being required.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

It would be interesting to know how many people still travel to the us without an esta. Would they give them a chance to fill in the esta as in theory they have not entered the USA whilst in the immigration hall.
In other words would you be allowed to apply once landed in the USA and await the esta result. The esta websites recommends you apply no less than72 hours prior to your flight but doesn’t state it’s compulsory to do so. So I’m wondering if there was a problem would they allow you to reapply.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
It would be interesting to know how many people still travel to the us without an esta. Would they give them a chance to fill in the esta as in theory they have not entered the USA whilst in the immigration hall.
In other words would you be allowed to apply once landed in the USA and await the esta result. The esta websites recommends you apply no less than72 hours prior to your flight but doesn’t state it’s compulsory to do so. So I’m wondering if there was a problem would they allow you to reapply.
An ESTA is only approval to travel to the USA. Unless you have a visa you will not be allowed on to the USA bound plane in any VWP country.

Any carrier allowing people to board without a valid ESTA risks substantial fines and, for repeat offences, will be banned from flying to the USA.

The immigration officer in the USA permits entry. You won't get that far without an ESTA (or as I said earlier a visa)
Mick