Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jan 20, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile US & Iran

Not to get political but all this is really terrifying my two old children. At 16 & 13 they watch / read and hear about the news.
As we travel to the US each year they love America and take interest in the country.
They are frightened at the moment and worried about a possible world war 3.
Are anyone else’s children effected by all this?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

My 16 year old is a real worrier and yes hes worrying quite a bit. We have no plans to go to the US but I fear the implications may be more far reaching. I've tried not to seem concerned in front of him and to be honest I try and avoid the news now.
Old 8 Jan 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

my DD 16 said it was like many things predicted on the Simpson’s who’s feeding kids this I don’t know, we just play it down
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Minniebella
VIP Dibber

A family member of ours is convinced this is the start of World war 3.
He is 20 years old, I think for them being part of the ‘social media generation’ and not being old enough to remember or even care about previous disagreements/situations this is really big news and very concerning for them.
I remember when Bin Larden was killed, I was in my late teens and exactly the same.I was convinced that we were all going to war, I was petrified any time the news came on.
Hopefully it will blow over without any repercussions soon and kids can go back to not worrying... about war anyway!
Minniebella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
There is nothing new in these feelings, the Cuban missile crisis, the 70/80s fear of a nuclear winter. Every generation has its potential wars to deal with, back in the 60s and 70s I was terrified of a nuclear attack.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Griff
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I was thinking about this the other day, and really there hasn’t been a time during my life that there hasn’t been a war/military operation been carried out, its just now more than ever we are aware of it by our media connectedness

en.m.wikipedia/wiki/List..._United_States
Griff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I can remember feeling like this seeing stories about the Falkland Invasion growing up, when you only had a couple of TV channels to eat h it was hard to escape, my youngest is 11 and overthinks everything as she has autism, when we had terror attacks here she was frightened, we looked online for ways to explain the stories to her and newsround was a good source as was bbc newsbeat it told the truth but in a more age appropriate way, not sugar coated because they need to know the truth but not overly graphic like a lot of adult media stories. If I'm honest she hasn't mentioned this latest development but I'll be checking out those websites for ways to explain the news again to her because she will ask. A lot of stuff in media at minute is speculation not fact, everyones waiting to see how Trump will react and edging their bets on this or that happening but it could die down too. Time will tell.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

As someone who confidently said that our flight home from Orlando on the day of 9/11 wouldn't be delayed or cancelled (and then got stuck there for 4 days) I'm probably not the best to give a prediction but in my view the very fact we have NATO will prevent another WW.
However the best way would be for the Americans get rid of Trump but I fear that this power of strength by him will actually strengthen his position within the US.
I have no control over this so don't worry about it, que sera sera

Edited at 10:53 AM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just tell them this will not be World War 3, it’s another Middle Eastern conflict that’s all. Iran has 80m inhabitants- 75% of them can’t stand the government. The Ayatollahs are well aware if they prod Trump too much, and Trump bombs the hell out of them, they could end up swinging from lampposts. They had to shoot a lot of protestors sick of them to quell an uprising only a few years ago.
Hence this rather lacklustre rocket attack where they have even said they now want to de escalate. Wouldn’t surprise me if they even warned the Americans it was coming.
Just my take.
It will ramp up though if they try making nuclear weapons as US quite rightly would never allow that to happen.
This is nothing like the Cuban Missile Crisis as thankfully Iran is not a nuclear power and has no long range missiles and relatively limited air support (still substantial but a fraction of US).

Edited at 10:56 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I was thinking about this the other day, and really there hasn’t been a time during my life that there hasn’t been a war/military operation been carried out, its just now more than ever we are aware of it by our media connectedness

en.m.wikipedia/wiki/List..._United_States
I always remember TV reporting the Russian May Day military parade and thinking wow just look at how many soldiers they have, they fill that big square. Then as an adult worked in Moscow and realised that Red Square isn't actually that big!
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List