Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Mar 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Useful to know T hasn't said anything about that, will ask him. His older brother is in year 2 of university now but he is no help with this stuff as he was adamant he wasn't going to university at all and decided at THE last minute to apply for his course, he was lucky to get anything sorted in time.

T will be missing the very last week of term anyway, for our holiday so reluctant for him to miss any more time, but I suppose there will be other students off.

T will only be applying to Scottish universities. We've had all the dates of Open Days marked on our diaries for ages now, we will go see them all but we are hoping he will be able to stay at home whilst studying
I’ve just asked her, and she said she was allowed 3 days (I thought it was 2) in Y13 for open or applicants days and they were all told this by the sixth form.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
I’ve just asked her, and she said she was allowed 3 days (I thought it was 2) in Y13 for open or applicants days and they were all told this by the sixth form.
I don't think my DD's college has a limit for going to applicant days midweek, we just let the college know when she would be absent on an applicant day.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 01:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Hi all,

The previous thread about uni visits and the process has been really informative so I thought I would start a new one for those starting September 2020.

My DD wants to be a vet and so do a vetmed course. Only a few Unis actually do the course so it is hard to get in.

Our first uni visit is next Saturday (23rd) at Harper Adams. This new course is set over the 2 campuses and you can visit both on different days, choosing which one you want to live at as there is a shuttle bus apparently.

Anyone else got anything plannned?

Not involved in 2020 intake but just wanted to say that my cousin is in her final year at Harper Adams doing a vet/animal care based course and has absolutely loved it there!
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

DD18 is taking a gap year and applying this time around - the same year as DD16, so we have double trouble - arrrghhh. We found the best time for open days was June - the big unis often had the days on both a Friday+Sat or a Sat+Sun - giving options - then adding in the extras that they think about over the summer in September/October.

Spreading them out is good... nothing so demoralising as traipsing round uni campuses 6 or 7weekends in a row - make sure they limit their number of choices to the ones they have researched the courses on.

Early doesn't really help much unless for medical etc where they have to apply so much earlier.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Not involved in 2020 intake but just wanted to say that my cousin is in her final year at Harper Adams doing a vet/animal care based course and has absolutely loved it there!
That sounds reassuring. Harper Keele is good for me as it is only about 90 minutes away from us in Worcester but as it is a completely new course for vetmed in 2020 there are no students to ask about the actual course itself which adds an element of doubt.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
That sounds reassuring. Harper Keele is good for me as it is only about 90 minutes away from us in Worcester but as it is a completely new course for vetmed in 2020 there are no students to ask about the actual course itself which adds an element of doubt.
Things we asked on the open days might be helpful (you have probably thought of all these things yourself, apologies if so):
How is the curriculum taught?
What is a typical timetable?
What clinics do they have on site for rotations in your final years or are rotations all done in offsite in vet practices?
Are students able to intercalate if they wish (study abroad during their course)?
In what year do you begin your animal handling? (Cambridge only start in year 4 whereas Liverpool start from your very first term in year 1... this could be important as you need to start EMS in your first year to gain all your weeks and having Learned the correct procedures to handle will help enormously).
What vet based societies do they have/plan to have? Again this is important as you gain a lot of knowledge and contacts through these.
Hope this helps a little.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
DW has a friend who's daughter is also doing a vet/animal based course at Harper Adams and she's also loving it there. Apparently they are very supportive.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Things we asked on the open days might be helpful (you have probably thought of all these things yourself, apologies if so):
How is the curriculum taught?
What is a typical timetable?
What clinics do they have on site for rotations in your final years or are rotations all done in offsite in vet practices?
Are students able to intercalate if they wish (study abroad during their course)?
In what year do you begin your animal handling? (Cambridge only start in year 4 whereas Liverpool start from your very first term in year 1... this could be important as you need to start EMS in your first year to gain all your weeks and having Learned the correct procedures to handle will help enormously).
What vet based societies do they have/plan to have? Again this is important as you gain a lot of knowledge and contacts through these.
Hope this helps a little.
Great - thanks for that
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreaming
VIP Dibber

DS1 want to do Robotic Engineering, So far we have booked into.
Stoke (not to sure)
Lancaster
Sheffield
I think he might have a look at Loughborough.
Disney Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Disney Dreaming View Post
DS1 want to do Robotic Engineering, So far we have booked into.
Stoke (not to sure)
Lancaster
Sheffield
I think he might have a look at Loughborough.
Wow. Robotic engineering. Sounds good.

I did try and get DD interested in Biomedical Engineering but it didn’t appeal to her.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List