Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Nov 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

This is just like calling Southampton airport an airport for London. What a joke TUI are and pushes them into the Ryanair territory.
How many people are going to book these flights not knowing and end up with huge taxi or transfer fees.
I can see the poor families now getting into a taxi on arrival and getting a huge fare.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
This is just like calling Southampton airport an airport for London. What a joke TUI are and pushes them into the Ryanair territory.
How many people are going to book these flights not knowing and end up with huge taxi or transfer fees.
I can see the poor families now getting into a taxi on arrival and getting a huge fare.
People who buy flight only tend to know what else is involved in making their holiday. I don’t think many would go and arrive at an airport not knowing where it is, and how to get to your final destination. Many folks do this already going into Tampa and Miami.
If you book a package you get your hire car ( less insurance ) or a transfer included.

Google says
Tampa Airport to Disney Springs 78 miles
Melbourne MLB to Disney Springs 77.5 miles
So why are we not slaughtering BA for flying into Tampa but we are with TUI intoMLB?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Maui
Trading Disney Pins

Arguments for and against - but until TUI release prices, we can't really judge.

If people have booked packaged deals with TUI, they will/should run transfers from there. For the people who have booked DIY, I can't see this being a problem at all, other than maybe the number/selection of rental cars...

In terms of the drive, if you are uncomfortable at the thought of driving towards the Kissimmee/Lake Buena Vista area, the drive couldn't be easier (192 all the way). If you flew to Tampa, you would have to tackle the I4 (I know which one I would prefer to drive after a long flight)

One more plus for the move to Melbourne, end your holiday a day earlier, drive down to Cocoa Beach and have a day and half there and then drive to the airport in the morning/lunch time.
Disneyland Paris - Apr 15, May 17
Tokyo Disneyland & Shanghai Disneyland - on the bucket list
Maui is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
So why are we not slaughtering BA for flying into Tampa but we are with TUI intoMLB?
Because BA don't say that the flight is into Orlando?

Admittedly, we don't know what TUI will be calling this flight. It depends on whether they classify the flight as an Orlando flight or not.

Still, the point is, some people are put off by flights to Tampa. I wouldn't consider a flight into Tampa even if it was cheap (and price is usually the main reason for considering a flight to Tampa). It's too far away. If TUI decided to fly to Tampa then it would put me off using them again. Especially if the price didn't significantly reduce. The same applies with Melbourne.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Uncle paul
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Mobile

I think the travel journalist Simon Calder summed it up... “a Ryanair version of Orlando”
Uncle paul is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Because BA don't say that the flight is into Orlando?

Admittedly, we don't know what TUI will be calling this flight. It depends on whether they classify the flight as an Orlando flight or not.

Still, the point is, some people are put off by flights to Tampa. I wouldn't consider a flight into Tampa even if it was cheap (and price is usually the main reason for considering a flight to Tampa). It's too far away. If TUI decided to fly to Tampa then it would put me off using them again. Especially if the price didn't significantly reduce. The same applies with Melbourne.
At the moment TUI site says holidays to Florida, and flights to Sanford Florida.
Assume that they will say holidays to Florida and flights to Melbourne Florida, but as you say we don’t know
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
I'm surprised they didn't pick up the Thomas Cook slots. Most people want MCO. I even thought Sanford was second best.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

I know Orlando well, like many experienced Dibbers. Unfortunately you are forgetting about the newbies who dont realise how big Orlando is. We have several friends who have been for the first time and didnt expect the size of the place or know how far the airports were etc

People who buy flight only tend to know what else is involved in making their holiday. I don’t think many would go and arrive at an airport not knowing where it is, and how to get to your final destination. Many folks do this already going into Tampa and Miami.
If you book a package you get your hire car ( less insurance ) or a transfer included.

Google says
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Mobile

Google says
Don’t BA fly to MCO as well? If so, Tampa is an additional choice whereas Melbourne will be the only choice with TUI. We will, likely, still go for it because OH is experienced with driving over there and we stay on IDrive so the I95 and 528 will work for us.
Old 7 Nov 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
The first time we went to Orlando we had a package with TUI, I didn’t even know that Sanford wasn’t the main airport at the time so I wouldn’t have given it any thought. I think people in that category won’t know or care tbh as they’ll know no different and they must make up a reasonable amount of their custom as I think lots of people do a package first time round.
Now The Dibb has educated me I’m hopefully a bit more knowledgeable but would still fly with them if the price was right as I enjoyed their Premium offering.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List