Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 29 Jun 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip round New England in the Spring, not the Fall! Day 3 - Topsham to Bar Harbor, Acadia NP

Day 3 – Topsham to Bar Harbor, Acadia NP

Judy made us a lovely breakfast of pancakes, bacon etc which we ate in the company of another couple who were staying there. They were from Miami and reminded me of Jay and Gloria from Modern Family! He was definitely punching above his weight! They were called Jim and Tittiana.

After breakfast we headed down to the river again to see if the beavers were around. They weren’t. Judy came down too and talked to us about the beavers and the other wildlife they had around their house. Two weeks previously a weasel had come in on consecutive nights and killed 3 of their chickens. They’d managed to trap it and then drove 20 miles to release it in a forest! Kind people. The remaining chicken was beautiful but had no name. I think I would have to name my chickens!

We told Tom where we were heading and our proposed route. He recommended stopping at Pemaquid Point lighthouse, which was down one of the fingers of land to the sea. We thanked them for their hospitality and set off towards the lighthouse, which would be our first stop. We passed over the bridge again and stopped to take a better photo in the daylight.

This actually took far longer than we’d thought to get there, 40 minutes. I wouldn’t like to live down one of these roads as it would take forever to go anywhere! The lighthouse was in a park area with large carpark. There was a small but interesting museum but the lighthouse wasn’t open to go inside. There was a local lady in the museum who was talking to the attendant the whole time we were there without drawing a breath. He looked bored with her but was politely listening! We watched the waves on the rocks.

We left and drove up the other side of the Point to Waldoboro and came out onto the intended Highway 1 again. Just along the road was Moody’s Diner, which was on my list, so it worked out well. This is a really old and very popular diner which is famous for Whoopie Pies. We were seated quickly and I opted for a chocolate one – you have to try these things once. It was enormous and very, very sweet! I couldn’t finish it all.

Next planned stop was Mount Battie. We turned out to be the only people up there and the views were amazing! There’s an observation tower too for an even better view. We spend a while up here admiring the views and it was really lovely. We could see down to Rockland and the mile-long breakwater to the lighthouse. I’d intended to go here but we’d spent too long going to Pemaquid, so abandoned that idea.

I’d read about the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and the lift to the top of it with the viewing area at the top – I’d also read they were doing renovations and it would be open mid-May. It was a beautiful bridge but sadly the work hadn’t been completed so that we could go up it.

We filled up with petrol as we thought it would be cheaper than at Acadia. The women at the till point loved Will’s accent and tried to keep him talking!

On to Bar Harbour, the main town of Acadia National Park, and we easily found our next accommodation – the Castlemaine Inn. This was another, even bigger, old house and we were shown to the ‘Garden Room’ by Jeanette, the lovely owner. It did have it’s own, very tiny enclosed garden with chairs but it was a bit too cold to sit out, as you can see from the thermometer! The weather was definitely improving and the forecast was good for the following day, but it had been chilly to say the least today but with very little rain.

We settled in and then went for a long walk around Bar Harbour and found the Reel Pizza cinema. I was keen to go here as you could sit on sofas and eat pizza while watching the film. Tonight was The Hustle with Rebel Wilson and Anna Hathaway. It’s on the left of the photo.

We went back to the room and had a bit of a rest before heading out again to the cinema. We just LOVED this place. The pizzas were delicious – Will had pepperoni and I had a chicken and spinach flatbread – and we sat in comfort with our beers, ate and watched a very funny movie. At the end we all exited and everyone put ALL their rubbish into the various bins for recycling or not. No way would people do that in a cinema here!

We walked back to the hotel and were in bed by 10.30pm. Tomorrow we were going up Cadillac Mountain so an early start in, hopefully, good weather.

Index here - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...8#post13903548

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 01:12 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely day. Looking forward to reading more.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Enjoying your report, we did New England as part of a cruise last year, and loved Bar Harbor, it is so CUTE! We did a bike tour in Acadia (which nearly killed me) I would really love to go back.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Enjoying your report, we did New England as part of a cruise last year, and loved Bar Harbor, it is so CUTE! We did a bike tour in Acadia (which nearly killed me) I would really love to go back.
I'd love to go back too! Wish we'd had another day at least there. So much to see and do

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Lovely day with more gorgeous looking places. Great finds on your accommodation. Those Whoopie pies are a bit sickly they are sooooo sweet. Am loving the cinema concept !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Bar Harbor looks a fab place. It must be hard trying to gauge beforehand how long you want to spend somewhere.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Enjoying your trip report, thanks. We did Bar Harbor last time and loved the Reel Pizza. We saw Mr Holmes and someone thought we sounded like the posh British characters in the film.

I would definitely like to return to Maine and maybe Bar Harbor again.

Edited at 09:07 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List