Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jul 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Not strictly overheard (or indeed, overhead), but trying to explain the phrase, "Bob's your Uncle" a couple of years ago to an American was somewhat fun. We then heard him using it for ages afterwards ...

We got asked a lot whether Kate Middleton was pregnant just after she married Prince William. We told everyone that she was, and that it was twins ...

"Are you guys Australian?" Yep, asked this a lot too, we're also from the Midlands.

"Have you met the Queen?" We always say yes we have, and she is lovely. We tell them next time you go to London, ask if you can have afternoon tea with her, she is very obliging! (By 'met', we mean seen from the top floor of a huge office block, when she walked past us to open a newly rebuilt bit of train station!)

*coff*guillable*
Old 15 Jul 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

We are from mid Wales (Husband and kids) and often get asked if we are Australian...I'm American and no one believes me when I tell them

Also, I don't think most Americans actually know where Wales is because they always give you a blank look after you tell them - I will admit here that prior to moving to the UK I didn't actually know where in the UK Wales was but at least I knew it was part of the UK lol

The best I heard over there was an older lady walking past a disabled parking bay at Walmart ' I wish disabled people wouldn't park here - there is no room for us old people '

But here is a reverse one for you. As above I'm American and I'm from Washington State and I often get asked if I could see the white house from where I live or did I use to see the President ect. In order to get the Brits to realize where I'm from I have to say Seattle which was a 5 hour drive from where I lived.
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Brave5 View Post
We are from mid Wales (Husband and kids) and often get asked if we are Australian...I'm American and no one believes me when I tell them

Also, I don't think most Americans actually know where Wales is because they always give you a blank look after you tell them - I will admit here that prior to moving to the UK I didn't actually know where in the UK Wales was but at least I knew it was part of the UK lol

The best I heard over there was an older lady walking past a disabled parking bay at Walmart ' I wish disabled people wouldn't park here - there is no room for us old people '

But here is a reverse one for you. As above I'm American and I'm from Washington State and I often get asked if I could see the white house from where I live or did I use to see the President ect. In order to get the Brits to realize where I'm from I have to say Seattle which was a 5 hour drive from where I lived.
Oh yeah... I had to patiently explain to my manager here that Washington State was not the same as Washington DC. I don't think it has sunk in yet 😂
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I’ve just read these to my OH and he reminded me of another moment.
A rather large American man (think American Footballer build) and his smaller wife in front of us in the queue for Journey to Atlantis. They were very chatty and nice but the bloke did have a touch of bravado about him IYKWIM.
Cue getting on the ride, we’d only done one of the first smaller drops and the high pitched screaming began.
By the last drop the squealing was intensely ear-piercing.
We assumed it was his wife given the pitch and when we got off the ride we walked to where the photos were together, when she turned to us and apologised on her husbands behalf for his screaming. Apparently the guy could do any dry rides but water rides terrified him, according to his wife turned him into “an overgrown little girl”.
Needless to say we got that photo just for the look on this guys face!
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
From our last WDW trip, overheard on the monorail.

A very annoyed American lady behind us, exasperatedly berating her son.

“Adam, this is your last warning. You will not have chocolate milk at any other restaurant on this trip. You have to ask people before you touch them. Most people don’t like having their armpits touched.”

Wow, I would love to know the story behind that little scene!
I'm literally crying with laughter !
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Not overheard but encountered...

On my last DLP trip, I was waiting in a queue and got talking to a guy from Newport (not far from my original home). He had downloaded the Park app before he came, as a friend had recommended it to him, but he was having trouble using it. So he got out his phone to show me...

He had downloaded the WDW app instead of DLP!

He must have been wondering where the other two parks were...
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Not overheard but encountered...

On my last DLP trip, I was waiting in a queue and got talking to a guy from Newport (not far from my original home). He had downloaded the Park app before he came, as a friend had recommended it to him, but he was having trouble using it. So he got out his phone to show me...

He had downloaded the WDW app instead of DLP!

He must have been wondering where the other two parks were...
What with the time difference, he must have found himself up for extra magic hours at an unearthly hour.

(Point of note: autocorrect tried to 'magic' to 'manic', and I think it still holds true...)

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I have two.
Near where the old Catastrophe Canyon used to be, a family of a mother and her two daughters were walking around. This is about 2013/2014. The mother had a map in her hands and so did the older daughter who was probably around 15. The younger daughter had either a lollipop or an ice cream, I can’t remember. Anyway, the mother said all irate like ‘we’ve been walking around for hours now. If we don’t find Harry Potter Land soon, I’m leaving’.
Again in, I think, 2016 (though it may have been 2015), we were getting our tickets from Will Call in Epcot. In the booth next to us was an entitled middle aged soccer mom who demanded to see the manager because she was trying to cash in her e-ticket to Halloween Horror Nights. The poor woman she was talking to was trying to explain that Disney was not responsible for Universal Studios.