Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jul 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockycat
Excited about Disney

Hi everyone I am hoping you will be able to give me some advice. Our new puppy came home with us yesterday, he is a 12 week old cavapoo named Prince 😊. Toilet training is going well so far, I take him outside every 2-3 hours and he is going outside with no accidents so far... my problem is what to do at night, we have brought him a doggy playpen and put his bed,blankets, toys in it but every time I put him in there he really cry’s, I tried to ignore him but he doesn’t stop and try’s to scratch his way out. This evening I hid treats in there so he would go in of his own accord, he did so and found the treats but then started crying/howling again, I left him for a while but couldn’t do it for long 😔.
Last night I stayed on the sofa and he was happy sleeping on the floor next to me on my slippers 🙄, needless to say I hardly slept, and I’m currently in the same position again 😔. Any tips on the best thing to do? It is the first time we have had a dog and my husband works nights and my son and daughter have got work/school so the nights are falling to me alone, they have all wanted a dog for years and I have recently stopped working due to health reasons so thought as I will be at home more it is the best time to get one but I am feeling out of my depth despite lots of research on the internet I thought you lovely people who have had experience might be able to help.
Another reason I’m struggling is I am playing chaperone between the puppy and my 9 year old cat, obviously she isn’t impressed by our new arrival and he has found his bark today. I am reluctant to have the dog upstairs as I feel at least the cat has a safe haven if she needs to escape him, she really is my baby so I don’t want her to feel pushed out.
Help please 🙂
Rockycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
He can’t sleep unless he is resting his head on something ..

He's gorgeous
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rockycat View Post
Hi everyone I am hoping you will be able to give me some advice. Our new puppy came home with us yesterday, he is a 12 week old cavapoo named Prince 😊. Toilet training is going well so far, I take him outside every 2-3 hours and he is going outside with no accidents so far... my problem is what to do at night, we have brought him a doggy playpen and put his bed,blankets, toys in it but every time I put him in there he really cry’s, I tried to ignore him but he doesn’t stop and try’s to scratch his way out. This evening I hid treats in there so he would go in of his own accord, he did so and found the treats but then started crying/howling again, I left him for a while but couldn’t do it for long 😔.
Last night I stayed on the sofa and he was happy sleeping on the floor next to me on my slippers 🙄, needless to say I hardly slept, and I’m currently in the same position again 😔. Any tips on the best thing to do? It is the first time we have had a dog and my husband works nights and my son and daughter have got work/school so the nights are falling to me alone, they have all wanted a dog for years and I have recently stopped working due to health reasons so thought as I will be at home more it is the best time to get one but I am feeling out of my depth despite lots of research on the internet I thought you lovely people who have had experience might be able to help.
Another reason I’m struggling is I am playing chaperone between the puppy and my 9 year old cat, obviously she isn’t impressed by our new arrival and he has found his bark today. I am reluctant to have the dog upstairs as I feel at least the cat has a safe haven if she needs to escape him, she really is my baby so I don’t want her to feel pushed out.
Help please 🙂
Honestly you need to persever. As hard as it is, they’re like children if you keep going to them they will learn that they can cry and you’ll come back every time.
We never went back down to Woody, even when he was in mine and my sisters houses which he’d Never stayed in before. He soon learnt that lights off was bed time and that he had to sleep.
Jake was worse but again we never gave it at night,again he got it and he hardly ever made a sound in the night again. Unless of course he was barking at nothing at 4am 😂.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Help please 🙂
You have to hold your nerve . I know it’s hard and Wilson tries to push us but we ignore him. For something so small he has the loudest howl and bark!
We are lucky that he loves his crate and will go in it willingly ,I think some puppies like an enclosed space to feel secure as we used to leave the door on his crate open but he’d go mental and then when we started to shut it he curls up and goes to sleep , a lot of the time he’s happy to just sit in there and watch us going about our chores , he’ll let us know if he wants out and then we let him out straight away .
The weather at the moment means he’s quite happy in his cool crate than anywhere else.
Good luck!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

You have to hold your nerve . I know it’s hard and Wilson tries to push us but we ignore him. For something so small he has the loudest howl and bark!
We are lucky that he loves his crate and will go in it willingly ,I think some puppies like an enclosed space to feel secure as we used to leave the door on his crate open but he’d go mental and then when we started to shut it he curls up and goes to sleep , a lot of the time he’s happy to just sit in there and watch us going about our chores , he’ll let us know if he wants out and then we let him out straight away .
The weather at the moment means he’s quite happy in his cool crate than anywhere else.
Good luck!
We’ve just got Woody a cooling mat. Which he avoided for a few hours and walked very far round it 😂 now he absolutely LOVES it. It’s not in his crate as he also has a big bed in the lounge so that’s just one in the hall way for him - technically he’s now got 3 beds 😂 Spoilt boy.

But mum got it from pet’s at home, though there are some on amazon
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
We’ve just got Woody a cooling mat. Which he avoided for a few hours and walked very far round it 😂 now he absolutely LOVES it. It’s not in his crate as he also has a big bed in the lounge so that’s just one in the hall way for him - technically he’s now got 3 beds 😂 Spoilt boy.

But mum got it from pet’s at home, though there are some on amazon
Bum! Was meant to get one today while I was in pets at home ..doh!
Thanks for the reminder,I’ll have a look
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockycat
Excited about Disney

Thank you all 🙂, I will try and stay strong tonight and persevere, I know it’s best in the long run and I’m making things harder for myself by giving in... I will put him in his pen and go upstairs and try and ignore him, if I set an alarm for 3 hours and then take him out to the loo and put him back for another 3 hours hopefully that will work?
I brought a dog gate today to keep him in one room and stop him getting to the cat and her food so if all else fails at least he can stay in the room on his own. I can do this! 🙂
Rockycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Thank you all 🙂, I will try and stay strong tonight and persevere, I know it’s best in the long run and I’m making things harder for myself by giving in... I will put him in his pen and go upstairs and try and ignore him, if I set an alarm for 3 hours and then take him out to the loo and put him back for another 3 hours hopefully that will work?
I brought a dog gate today to keep him in one room and stop him getting to the cat and her food so if all else fails at least he can stay in the room on his own. I can do this! 🙂
We didn’t go down at all in the night with either dog. They will learn, we only had a few nights of accidents. At that point Woody wasn’t crate trained (Jake never was!) so he had the kitchen. But maybe within 2 weeks he was crate trained and he held it. He would get left from about midnight until 6ish.
Old 23 Jul 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Bum! Was meant to get one today while I was in pets at home ..doh!
Thanks for the reminder,I’ll have a look
The rats are ignoring theirs at the moment! They’fe cuddled in their bed looking at us like “we’re melting!” But they’re not being clever enough to work it out 😂
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockycat
Excited about Disney

Ok am going to be strong and give it a go, last night he didn’t go to the loo between midnight and 5am so he should be able to hold it at least that long... wish me luck, I will update you tomorrow on how we get on.