Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Oct 07, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
grantasmic
VIP Dibber

Wild West Adventure - Cowboys and Canyons

Day 1 - 24 September 2007 : Off the Island, flight and arrival

Some of you may remember back in the summer (yes, I know, we didn’t really have one ) all the heartache we went through when the tour operator cancelled our holiday as there were insufficient numbers. Well, after much faffing about, we finally rearranged it – and, are we glad we finally made it So, join us as we head off on our Wild West Adventure ……..

Cowboys : John (DH) and Pete
Cowgirls : Me and Rose

Woke at 0325 – wind howling and raining fit to bust. Had to get up and go to the loo – of course! – and then couldn’t get back to sleep, just dozed on and off till the alarm went off at 0630. Made some breakfast and did the last minute packing and double-checking!

John walked round to the shop to post a letter and get a couple of bottles of water for the trip. He came back with the water and ……. yep, you’ve guessed it, the letter still in his pocket! As it had started raining again, he took the car back round to post the letter!

Just as I was finishing the washing up there was a knock at the door -it was our Titan driver, a full 20 minutes early! (This is one of the reasons we chose this company - home pick up service, door to door travel!) By now our fellow Titans had arrived and we headed off to the ferry. The driver set his SatNav (he’s christened it ‘Doris’!) and she took us straight there – even telling us to ‘board the ferry’!

We settled ourselves in the lounge and it was a fairly uneventful crossing despite the weather – until we got over to Portsmouth. We then had to wait outside the harbour for the departing ferry to leave on its return journey to Fishbourne. That’s when it got just a bit choppy! But fortunately it wasn’t long before we were docked and Doris was reprogrammed for an address in Fareham where we were picking up another Titan.

Well, Doris did her stuff and got us to the address, but we couldn’t find the house! After detouring up and down a couple of rather nice cul-de-sacs, we headed back for the start of the road and there was our new Titan flagging us down!

At least now the sun has come out and the rest of our journey passed uneventfully. By about 1100 we were pulling up at Terminal 4 and our luggage was being loaded onto a trolley for us. We duly reported to the Heathrow Titan rep, who checked us off her list and gave us our luggage labels. Unfortunately, the BA check in desk wasn’t ready for our flight, but she told us to go through to the queue anyway. However, a BA staff member soon chucked us back out and said that a dedicated Titan check in desk would be opening at 1135. Well, at least we were at the front of the queue! But, wouldn’t you know it? The front of the queue suddenly became the back of the queue as they opened up the check in furthest away from us and let everyone in the back way! There was only one desk working and it was an absolute age before it was our turn. The couple in front of us took a ridiculously long time to check in and had the BA chap telephoning somebody, somewhere, several times. As they left, the man smiled at us and announced ‘no window seats left’. So the 4 of us were given Row 15, seats D, E, F and G.

We were soon boarding and in our seats. Oh look! There’s that couple who were in front of us at check in…… and they’ve got front row window and aisle seats! Well fancy that! The flight was about 30+ minutes late taking off and the pilot warned us there could be some turbulence! Oh joy! Especially as we'd watched the reports of tornadoes in the South on Sky News in the departure lounge! Hope we don’t run into one of those on the way! But it was a smooth take off and climb and before long the seatbelt sign was off.

Checked the in-flight entertainment - Shrek 3! So as soon as the first round of drinks had come and gone and the system was up and running, I plugged myself in and Shrekked! Very funny!

Lunch was next up – or it could have been dinner ! Actually, thinking about it, it could well have been breakfast, as we’d put our watches back to Phoenix time! We had a small salad, a choice of chicken curry or shepherd’s pie (Rose, Pete and I all had the curry, but John fancied the shepherd ). There was a small wholemeal roll and butter, strawberry cheesecake, an individual chunky KitKat, bottle of water and coffee/tea to follow.

Well, we’re now three and three-quarter hours into the flight and so far so good. We’re flying over Greenland and if I really crane my neck and look out of the window to our right, I can see SNOW! Shame there’s no spare window I can sneak a pic out of! Oh well, I’m off to spend a couple of hours now with Cap’n Jack! See you on my return from World’s End!

Having helped the Pirate Council win the battle, I can now relax and enjoy the rest of the flight. The entertainment system on here is touch screen control and you can just watch the film of your choice when you choose to watch it. Also had some old 'classic' movies – John watched the original Jaws! Plus various TV programmes – I watched the Catherine Tate Show where Nana guests on Paul O’Grady!

All in all the flight was good – absolutely no turbulence whatsoever! But, comparing PE with WTP, I think that Virgin definitely has the edge over BA! There was no glass of champagne, no hot towels, no ‘proper’ crockery, cutlery and glassware and the food was just the same as Economy.

We must have been battling a head wind though, because the flight seemed to go on forever! In fact, we didn’t land until 18:30 local time, so we’re now about an hour and a half adrift! But, we were some of the first off the plane and, after a marathon hike, arrived to an empty Immigration hall and, miracle of miracles, sailed through in minutes. One of our cases came off really quickly but then we had to wait for the others to arrive. Another mile long trek into the main terminal where Dana, our tour guide, was waiting to check us off her list. We all began to congregate on any available seat while she rounded up the rest of the bus-load.

But, the inevitable happened – come on, it wouldn’t be us, would it? One couple missing! It was over an hour before they finally joined us. Nobody could figure out what was going on and there were a few cross comments about keeping everyone waiting! Then there was talk of having to go back to the BA desk to get something photocopied! Well, that went down like a lead balloon! We’re all dead on our feet and you want something photocopied? Oh dear, apologies all round! Their bag was missing! Dana took Mr Latecomer off in search of help and finally returned with the missing case! At last – we can get on the bus and go off to our hotel!

While we were waiting, John McCrirrick and his wife, Booby, came plodding through the airport. We’d heard they were on our flight - in first class, of course!.

We now faced our third marathon of the evening and had to negotiate the elevator as well! Because there were so many of us all loaded with our cases, we monopolised all 6 of the elevators and even then it took several attempts to get everybody together again! Finally making it to the outside world the heat hit like a ton of bricks! It had also got completely dark – so quickly that it was almost as though someone had turned off the lights! So, here we are at round about 20:00 local time = 04:00 body clock time = been awake now for over 24 hours! = totally knackered! and the temperature is still 85°! But the coach is air conditioned and comfy. The hotel is only about a 20 minute drive into Scottsdale and from what we can see in the dark, it’s huge!

(Confession: this pic was actually taken next morning - too darn tired the night we arrived! )

The rooms are a nightmare to find! We’re on the second floor and Rose and Pete are on the first (ground) floor. But the rooms don’t seem to have any logical sequence to them and it’s yet another marathon hike! But once we'd found it and were inside, the room is absolutely huge! Two massive double beds, desk, couple of chairs, huge TV, coffee maker, Wolfgang Puck coffee and lovely air-con! We also have a private balcony with a table and two chairs overlooking the pool.

Having dumped our luggage, we head back down to the lobby to meet up for a drink and something to eat. We’ve ordered a Cheese Steak sandwich, but are really beginning to flag now so ask for it to be packed ‘to go’! It’s now getting on for 06:00 Tuesday morning body-clock time and all of a sudden tiredness hit like a freight train! We decided to call it a day and returned to our respective rooms. Having gone beyond tired and hungry, John managed to eat some of the steak but I could only manage a mouthful. I was just too tired to chew! We climbed into bed, sorted out the marshmallow pillows and tried to sleep!

Our 'Right Down the Middle of Main Street, USA' 2006 Visit
Wild West Adventure - Cowboys and Canyons 2007
We should have gone home years ago!

grantasmic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 07, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Dad and I love Titan Holidays so I look forward to hearing how you got on.
wickesy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 07, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
what an exhausting start! really looking forward to the rest of your report tho
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 07, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Wow I'm tired for you, the only way is up
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 07, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post

An exhausting start, hopefully things will get better.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 07, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post

While we were waiting, John McCrirrick and his wife, Booby, came plodding through the airport. We’d heard they were on our flight - in first class, of course!.

You never told me you saw them!
Old 24 Oct 07, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Ohhhh good...these are the trippies that are going to remind me that it's a big old world out there and I must stop going to Orlando...great start
Old 24 Oct 07, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Iloveflorida
Imagineer

Wow I feel tired just reading about your first day
Old 24 Oct 07, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
grantasmic
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Brer_Claire View Post
You never told me you saw them!
Didn't we? Oh well ... just like they are on the TV

Our 'Right Down the Middle of Main Street, USA' 2006 Visit
Wild West Adventure - Cowboys and Canyons 2007
We should have gone home years ago!

grantasmic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 07, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds exhausting. The hotel sounds lovely.