Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Feb 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Not unheard of to replace discs and pads at around 20k miles. As for the MOT, provided they are not less than 1.5mm in thickness, reached the wear indicator , fitted correctly, not contaminated ( oil grease etc) and they are actually there then they will pass. Discs really have to be in a poor and dangerous state for them to fail. MOT standards and service standards are different, the manufacturer will want that vehicle to be safe until the next service while on the MOT they only have to be OK for the time of test. Independent garages will be somewhere in between, they should be measuring the brakes and advising you on the condition and estimated replacement date/mileage.

Dave

Edited at 11:59 AM.
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by madasahat View Post
there is no need to replace discs on both wheels only what is required you need to replace pads as a set but again only what is warn breaks adjust to new discs and pads so dont get riped off
This is madness. NEVER replace a single disk!

Same with tyres - always replace two on an axle.

These are the only things keeping you from death!

You can do all sorts of stupid things. Doenst mean you should.

Edited at 02:15 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post

why? you replace pads on both sides but no need to do both discs if only one faulty or scored same with tyres as long as its the same type there is no reason at all to change both tyres. Are you saying if you had a puncture in one that was 20% worn and unrepeatable you would replace both ? that is crazy
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by madasahat View Post
why? you replace pads on both sides but no need to do both discs if only one faulty or scored same with tyres as long as its the same type there is no reason at all to change both tyres. Are you saying if you had a puncture in one that was 20% worn and unrepeatable you would replace both ? that is crazy
So imagine you are driving down the road with mis matched tyres. That means each tyre will have totally different friction behaviour. And different abilities in shedding water. That means the two tyres across the axle will have totally different behaviours and that can be VERY dangerous.
Same with disks. If they are at different stages of wear, their friction characteristics could be very different. This might only be apparent the time you need them most - when you have to stop in a hurry.
Brakes and tyres and the two things of anything in a car that you dont mess with or take chances.
Brake contact - maybe 6 square inches per pad. Tyres - maybe 30-40 square inches per tyre (that's 1 square foot in total - a small floor tile). That isn't much to be trusting your life with, so best to make sure they are as good as they can be.
This is why some suppliers wont even sell a single disk now.
And to answer your question - yes I would NEVER replace one tyre.
Simply not worth taking risks with either tyres or brakes.

What is crazy is taking the risk of a serious accident with a real possibility of someone dying or being seriously injured for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds. That is just madness.

Also, some 4wd cars will wear their transmission faster with mismatched tyres (acrid an axle and front to back). Now one might argue this is a bit of a scam, but I can see in theory how this might be possible. Just not sure in practice. But she main dealers definately say this (I have has this from two separate dealers (different manufacturers) in the past fortnight).

Edited at 09:21 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

If you want to box them up and post them,to my workshop, i will give you a true evaluation of them free of charge. I have 32years i car and commercial expertise all i need is the discs pads and registration from the car.

Colin
colin39 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

So imagine you are driving down the road with mis matched tyres. That means each tyre will have totally different friction behaviour. And different abilities in shedding water. That means the two tyres across the axle will have totally different behaviours and that can be VERY dangerous.
Same with disks. If they are at different stages of wear, their friction characteristics could be very different. This might only be apparent the time you need them most - when you have to stop in a hurry.
Brakes and tyres and the two things of anything in a car that you dont mess with or take chances.
Brake contact - maybe 6 square inches per pad. Tyres - maybe 30-40 square inches per tyre (that's 1 square foot in total - a small floor tile). That isn't much to be trusting your life with, so best to make sure they are as good as they can be.
This is why some suppliers wont even sell a single disk now.
And to answer your question - yes I would NEVER replace one tyre.
Simply not worth taking risks with either tyres or brakes.

What is crazy is taking the risk of a serious accident with a real possibility of someone dying or being seriously injured for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds. That is just madness.

Also, some 4wd cars will wear their transmission faster with mismatched tyres (acrid an axle and front to back). Now one might argue this is a bit of a scam, but I can see in theory how this might be possible. Just not sure in practice. But she main dealers definately say this (I have has this from two separate dealers (different manufacturers) in the past fortnight).
dealers and tyre shops must love you
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Sorry? Any RADIAL tyre can be mixed with any RADIAL tyre regardless of directional, asametric or m/s patterns, the only option was the 1992 4x4 cavalier with the nylon based centre diff and a differance of 3mm on the rolling radius, not tread depth.
And as for discs its not good practice to replace them in ones, that dont mean it isnt safe or done, if one is over runout or blued but the other is serviceable its perfectly safe to change the one.

You need to go back and recheck your facts before blerting out rubbish.
Sorry, just my proffesional opinion you understand and not an endorsment of quickfit!

Edited at 11:18 PM.
colin39 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

OP. Probably too late now but at times when a car part wears unusually quickly, the dealer can sometimes submit a goodwill claim to the manufacturer on your behalf.

The amount to be claimed depends on things like how far past the warranty period you are.

Before anyone says it, yes, discs are wear and tear but I managed such a claim on a Puma (way back!) when discs needed replacing inside 2 years, and I think was around 20k miles.

I think 20k miles is low enough to argue such a claim, but you need to accept that they are not obliged to do this.

Other thing my own experience shows is some cars inexplicably eat their discs. I’ve never had to replace discs on any other car before or since so it’s not from having a heavy foot.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
Sorry? Any RADIAL tyre can be mixed with any RADIAL tyre regardless of directional, asametric or m/s patterns, the only option was the 1992 4x4 cavalier with the nylon based centre diff and a differance of 3mm on the rolling radius, not tread depth.
And as for discs its not good practice to replace them in ones, that dont mean it isnt safe or done, if one is over runout or blued but the other is serviceable its perfectly safe to change the one.

You need to go back and recheck your facts before blerting out rubbish.
Sorry, just my proffesional opinion you understand and not an endorsment of quickfit!
So are you saying that the car will handle perfectly with say a Toyo Proxes T1R on one front wheel and a budget m and s tyre on the other and will not affect the price handling and straight line braking of Mrs PPMs Golf GTI R ? It may be legal to do so, but there’s no way I’d let my DW out on the road with the car set up like that. Each to their own of course
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
So are you saying that the car will handle perfectly with say a Toyo Proxes T1R on one front wheel and a budget m and s tyre on the other and will not affect the price handling and straight line braking of Mrs PPMs Golf GTI R ? It may be legal to do so, but there’s no way I’d let my DW out on the road with the car set up like that. Each to their own of course

Im saying it would be safe and legal, im not saying i would, but safe and legal and yes it will handle fine, as long as the asoect ratios and speed and load ratings are right and all the tyre pressures are matched it would be fine.

Edited at 06:29 AM.