Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Feb 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely look on groupon for some really good London deals. We love going to London and there are so many free museums, watching street performers in Covent Garden and embankment is great free entertainment and we also hire the Boris bikes and cycle round the parks
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Brick Lane Market at the weekend
Spittalfields
Walk the Southbank
Walk the parks

avoid the tourist traps like Madam Tussauds whatever it costs its too much, you know what Cheryl Cole & James Bond look like why pay to see not even them ?
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

A friend and I had a wonderful day back last summer starting at Chalk Farm Tube station. Walked up Primrose Hill where there are beautiful views of the London skyline.
We then walked round to St Johns Wood and to Abbey Road Studios for ‘that’ famous album cover.
Then walked down to the Regents Canal and walked along until we got to Little Venice. Loads of things going on at the weekend and a real upbeat atmosphere with the barges all decorated and music playing.
We then walked all the way to Notting Hill and had a wander down Portobello Road market. Found the bookshop and front door from the film then stopped for dinner in Notting Hill Gate before ending our day in Kensington Gardens.
We walked pass the Palace and found the Peter Pan statue then watched the sun go down over the Serpentine. Apart from a few joggers we had the place to ourselves as the day tourists had long gone. We walked through Hyde Park and got the tube home from there.
We didn’t spend a penny apart from a quick lunch and dinner

I have always lived in Greater London and am still discovering new places in the city
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Days we have enjoyed all free or cheapish

Science museum etc
Bank of England museum- small but good
Kew Gardens - think kids are free I know for 3 it was good value
Grenwich - free museums often with kids activities
Covent Garden market and watching the opera singer
Open a virgin money account with 10 pound in and access free coffee and biscuits in their lounge
Wander round harrods or other big stores
Tate modern

Still have a wish list to achieve 😀 London is endless
sassysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Look at the website for Granary Square/Coal Drops Yard - there are often free events on there and it is a really nice space to hang out and walk along the canal etc.
Last summer they had free screenings of films in the evenings. Also don't know how old your children are but the dancing fountains are always full of kids playing when the weather is warm

Time Out is another good place to sign-up - they have a really good whats on calendar and I get an email every week full of offers for London.
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
I'd say look for the things to do that don't cost anything. Hanging out at Southbank is my favorite, in front of the Barbican there is always something going on.
Barbican is in the City so I think you mean outside of Royal Festival Hall ?

There will be loads going on on the Southbank- the RFH will have a stage up and things happening (free) and they are fountains playing for children to enjoy and other outside pursuits

Also outside The National Theatre there will be a pop up stage and deckchairs - again free and will have everything from art workshops , drag shows to live music and ban setting food from pizza, ice cream etc

Further on you have the Tate and Borough market which is always buzzy and a again free to browse and see the street theatre acts

Get a river boat up to Greenwich or down the river
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

Martin Lewis had a section about this 40 free things to do in London
May be worth a look
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

I would go down to Greenwich even just the park to walk round is lovely.
Old 27 Feb 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Walking the canal is a great shout and gives access to parts of London you may not of considered. Portebello market is massive on a saturday and you could spend the full day wandering up and down , with the odd stop for food from the many different local stalls. The Royal parks are always good to wander around and maybe have a picnic. Don't forget changing the guard, but check the schedule.
There are some nice riverside walks you can do (tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/thames-path) or timeout/london/thing...rettiest-walks
I could spend 3 days in just the science and natural history museums alone and there are several other free ones.
To save money on food consider when you want to eat as there are generally better offers in the daytime. Have a look at vouchercloud for chain offers or how about meerkat meals 2 4 1 , only cost me £1.01 for my travel insurance to qualify.
Also don't forget to use tap and go on the tube/buses to get the best price and check where you are going as it may be cheaper to use tap & go then buying a ticket eg euston -> watford is about £10 if bought in advance , but tap & go is about £4.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I agree with what someone else has said about the merlin annual pass. We’ve had them for 3 years and it’s so much cheaper than buying tickets for individual attractions, depends what you’re planning on doing though.

The sky garden is great & free. There are so many fantastic museums!

I’d also buy an Oyster card which cuts down on tube fare.
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List