Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Jan 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Yes I find that interesting Ucas told us if you reject it you went onto clearing so DS put the conditional as him firm and unconditional as insurance. If we rejected then it was off to clearing On results day.
That's what I thought. If DD rejects her unconditional offer and fails to get the required results of her firm and insurance conditional offers then she'd have to go through clearing.

However, it seems Snowball24 is saying something different. Instead they are saying they could just go back to a previously rejected unconditional offer.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stockport1965 View Post
An update -mock results in and not as good as expected. Highly unlikely the grades will be achieved needed for 2 unis. Would anyone recommend accepting the unconditional offer offered?
only the student will know really. Is the unconditional offer for the course content they want, at a uni thats acceptable to them?
If so, then I'd say take the unconditional offer.

If not, then the student needs to up their game and really knuckle down to some serious extra study for their A-levels, so that they have a better chance of securing their first choice.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Just so I understand this correctly - so when your DS got his grades in August and they weren't as good as he hoped, he somehow contacted the university that had offered an unconditional offer (which he had rejected) and managed to get this unconditional offer reinstated?

That's interesting. DD has an unconditional offer but she's unsure whether to put it down as her insurance or to reject it.
Thats what you do in "clearing" though. If on results day, your grades mean you haven't been accepted onto either your first or insurance choices through UCAS, you start contacting uni's (including your first and insurance ones) to see what other alternatives there are, now that you have your grades. For example, there may be a foundation course at the uni of your choice that you could enrol in, but which you didn't put as your first or insurance choices because you expected to get higher grades.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
Universities often accept one or even two dropped grades on results day* and there is plenty of time to improve on his mock results, especially with the incentive of higher grades needed for his firm choice, so I wouldn't dismiss the higher offers yet.
There is plenty of time for the grades to become better, that’s why mocks are sat and also final exams are still months away at this stage.
In my experience, All Uni’s are not always accepting students who miss their offer, this entirely depends on the popularity of the course and the number of available spaces, so I personally wouldn’t rely on getting in if the grades are missed.

Best option choose preferred place and if unconditional, that’s it, one choice.
If not, choose preferred place and then have the unconditional as the insurance (provided it is totally unconditional and not dependent on making it the firm choice)

No decisions needed yet though, May is the deadline (but this is clearly highlighted in Track) 👍

I’m sure the Head of Sixth Form will put your child’s mind at rest though too, it is a stressful time 😃
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Just so I understand this correctly - so when your DS got his grades in August and they weren't as good as he hoped, he somehow contacted the university that had offered an unconditional offer (which he had rejected) and managed to get this unconditional offer reinstated?

That's interesting. DD has an unconditional offer but she's unsure whether to put it down as her insurance or to reject it.

Yes, they said go and select it again through clearing, we also checked with the university first and his unconditional offer was still available
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
Thats what you do in "clearing" though. If on results day, your grades mean you haven't been accepted onto either your first or insurance choices through UCAS, you start contacting uni's (including your first and insurance ones) to see what other alternatives there are, now that you have your grades. For example, there may be a foundation course at the uni of your choice that you could enrol in, but which you didn't put as your first or insurance choices because you expected to get higher grades.
I get that's what clearing is. But that wasn't what Snowball24 said. They said that they could just go back to the unconditional offer that they'd previously rejected.

With clearing, I assume the student has to contact the university and they *may* offer to take them on if there are spare places. There's no guarantee that they will accept the student though. Whereas the unconditional offer is a guarantee that they will take the student on that specific course no matter what.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:58 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Snowball24 View Post
Yes, they said go and select it again through clearing, we also checked with the university first and his unconditional offer was still available
Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm interested because my DD has an unconditional offer but is unsure whether to put it as her insurance or not. She would prefer to go to a different uni if she can and can get the grades.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:55 PM.
Old 1 Feb 20, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd say pick the one she really wants to go to then. If she doesn't get the grades your unconditional should still be there , check first then go via clearing x
Old 1 Feb 20, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

There’s no guarantee though that the university that gave you the unconditional will have places available in clearing.

In 2019 for the first time there was a ‘self release’ button on UCAS track that allowed someone who had been placed into their firm or insurance to put themselves in clearing if they wanted to. But I’m not sure if you could still do this if you had an unconditional before results day.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Possibly, when we called ours they said his offer is still there so we just got it via clearing, there wasn't an issue, we called on results day x