Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Feb 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink92
Earning More Ears

So sad. Son and his girlfriend broke up.

Hi dibbers. Its been a while since I posted here. Just been through a marriage break up.. After 30 years together.. (iam 44)
It was quite an abusive relationship and iam finally free. I planned a big trip to Disney with my daughter her boyfriend of 3 yrs and my son his girlfriend of 6 yrs and myself for this September. Was so looking forward to just being there with my 4 kids lol.. Because they are all like my kids.
Now son and gf have split and we all so sad about it. Has anyone had experience of this. I don't even care about the flight being paid.. Iam just worried about dynamics changing. Has anyone been with their 2 adult children and just one partner? Iam hoping my son won't feel awkward being on holiday with his mum and sister and her partner. Iam being silly right? Going from a group of 5 to 4 just feels so sad. It's our first time without my husband too.. Although that is a good thing for all of us.

Edited at 10:53 AM.
Tink92 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm sure it will be fine. I would expect the two lads to team up occasionally and you can have some girlie time with your daughter. I know of a very nice spa if you fancy a mum/daughter treat.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

You dont say how old your children are but I'm assuming early to mid 20s?
September is a long time off, theres plenty of time for things to heal, you cant even predict your own or your daughters relationship status by then!
I assume your son gets on ok with your daughters boyfriend? If so I cant see it being a problem. Might even be better for you if you aren't the only single one there!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I’m so sorry to hear about your recent bad times. It must be very difficult to lose your son’s gf from the family group, I know I love our son’s fiancée as if she is one of our own and this would really upset me too. Plus you still have to get used to life without your DH.

I think the holiday will still be really good for all of you, it will be lovely for both you and your son to relax and spend time with people you love and who love you. I’m sure it will feel a little strange to be without the others who usually make up the group at first, but you will soon start to enjoy yourselves with your family.

A group of four is actually easy, as you will all have someone to sit by for meals or on rides. You may find it’s not always you and your son as I’m sure he will spend time chatting to his sister or her bf, as will you and the conversation will flow easily with the four of you.

Try not to worry too much, I’m sure you will all have a great time xx
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink92
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Thanks everyone. Iam sure we will adjust. We have too.. I just don't want ds to feel stuck with mum lol. He gets on great with dd and her bf.. As did sons gf. We often went out for meals and little holidays the 5 of us. My daughter is upset too as sons gf has been in her life since she was 13. She is now 20 and my son 26. Sons gf is a massive Disney fan too and we were all looking forward to this trip. Its been a hard yr so far.
Tink92 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Hi /// Firstly I totally sympathies with you and your son, you're just been a typical Mam, I have recently just came out of a 4 year relationship having lived together for 3 of those, it was mainly down to my work commitments but at the same time I guess I didn't see it coming as I'd done everything to support my GF, including supporting her when she decided to quit her job and go back to college for a year, I put the roof over our heads, paid all bills and put food on the table, even with me away working the majority of last year I still did little things, flowers, weekends away when we could and gave her money for all the food shopping.

But I guess when it happens you take a step back and realize it just wasn't working, thankfully we have parted on good terms no animosity of hate towards each other, if anything the hardest thing for me now is that she's taking our fur babies, but again due to my working situation I understand that makes more sense as well.

Anyway, less of my problem and onto yours!

The dynamic you have mentioned I personally wouldn't worry about, I went to on my own to Florida with my Mam, Dad, Sister and her BF around 5/6 years ago and it was fine, does your son have a good relationship with his sister and her BF? As for me that would make a big difference, I have a good social friendship with my sisters BF (Now husband).

Edited at 11:52 AM.
Do5-BaG is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Does your ds have a friend that he bring all instead, or if it’s a recent split you never know with a little time apart they might get back together again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I was devastated when my son and his girlfriend broke up, I had become so attached to her, was like the daughter I never had. Am fine now, but it was hard for a while getting used to the change.

I hope that you still all have a fantastic time, sounds like you deserve a really good holiday and good luck for your future x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

My brother was always on holiday with my parents, me and my fiance (at time, now hubby) it never bothered him. Is it definitely a complete end to the relationship? Or as a previous post said can a friend not go and just be charged the admin fee?
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tink92 View Post
Hi dibbers. Its been a while since I posted here. Just been through a marriage break up.. After 30 years together.. (iam 44)
It was quite an abusive relationship and iam finally free. I planned a big trip to Disney with my daughter her boyfriend of 3 yrs and my son his girlfriend of 6 yrs and myself for this September. Was so looking forward to just being there with my 4 kids lol.. Because they are all like my kids.
Now son and gf have split and we all so sad about it. Has anyone had experience of this. I don't even care about the flight being paid.. Iam just worried about dynamics changing. Has anyone been with their 2 adult children and just one partner? Iam hoping my son won't feel awkward being on holiday with his mum and sister and her partner. Iam being silly right? Going from a group of 5 to 4 just feels so sad. It's our first time without my husband too.. Although that is a good thing for all of us.
Hi, we have been on a few family holidays, with my dd her little boy 4 and my son and his wife and their little girl 2, we all get on, have just been to centre parks for a week, and all looking forward to Florida. I don’t know how we will get along for 2 weeks when the tiredness kicks in, but we are on site, so we can go to different parks and meet up later in the day, I am sure you will all get on and have a fab time. X
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List