Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Feb 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jojj
Disney Mad Scrapbooker!

AA / BA flights with hand luggage only and no seat selection wwyd?

Hi
I have been searching for ages for a decent price for flights for August this summer approx 19th Aug - 1st Sept

So I have this morning had a look and found some direct flights, for 3 adults and 2 children this comes to £2351. BUT this price only includes the cabin allowance baggage and no seat selection.

It is american airlines and says operated by british airways, does this mean that the plane will be BA or AA?

There are 5 of us, myself, my 2 older boys ages 20 and 19 and my 2 younger children ages 9 and 11. With no seat selection I am worried that we will all end up sitting alone. My daughter has ADHD so I would need her to sit with me, and the 11 year old to sit with one of his brothers so could cope with 2 , 2 and 1. What experience have people had of seating etc when you can't prebook.

So, the cabin baggage, is it doable for the 5 of us? I have done LA for a week on my own with cabin baggage so I'm pretty sure I could manage. Do you have the option to check 1 suitcase in or would it have to be for everybody?

I'm finding this a good price for direct flight as indirect isn't coming up much better tbh and thats also with no checked bags etc.

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

WDW -97, 05, 06, 2009/2010, 2011
DLC - 1998
DLP -17 Times
jojj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It will be a BA flight and the rules will be BA's although booked via AA.

So you should be able to find your BA booking code from your AA booking. You should also be able to add luggage and also pay to book seats.

BA has a policy of pre-allocating seats for groups with children, so in theory you will get seats allocated about 5 days out, but not sure if hand-baggage fares change that, but as BA is child friendly I would assume not and seats would be allocated earlier than the masses. PEKO might be able to respond on that point.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jojj
Disney Mad Scrapbooker!

Thank you, i'm very tempted to book these

WDW -97, 05, 06, 2009/2010, 2011
DLC - 1998
DLP -17 Times
jojj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you OP for posting this. I just looked at this for a multi city I’m after in August for my ( adult) son to join us in Florida. Im probably going to try to book this when I get home if you can definitely pay to reserve a seat 👍
daffodil92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
At that price I thin it's a really good deal. I'd book and then ring through to special assistance, explain that your child has ADHD and they should allocated seats for you. My DGS has Autism and they have always done this free of charge anyway.

Jill
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

The seating rules on the ticket will not override the CAA guidelines on seating children, BA will allocate the seats 3-6 days out, keeping the whole party together as far as possible (obviously for a party of 5 there will be some degree of separation no matter what, either across an aisle or row in front/behind). The only thing about the ticket rules which would apply is that you couldn't change the seats allocated, even at OLCI.

However, as mentioned above, it's definitely worth calling special assistance to check if someone having ADHD qualifies the party for free advance seat selection (as mentioned, ASD does, but I don't specifically know about ADHD). If it does, you will be able to select your seats in advance, though probably have to do it over the phone.

No problem to add whatever number of checked bags you want in advance with BA-operated flights. If the flights had been operated by AA, you'd have to wait until OLCI, but BA allows it to be done in advance (and it's about £5 cheaper per bag if you do that).

Edited at 05:45 PM. Reason: clarify about changing allocated seats on basic economy tix
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
No problem to add whatever number of checked bags you want in advance with BA-operated flights. If the flights had been operated by AA, you'd have to wait until OLCI, but BA allows it to be done in advance (and it's about £5 cheaper per bag if you do that).
Is it possible to pay to reserve seats in advance on these flights do you know please?
daffodil92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daffodil92 View Post
Is it possible to pay to reserve seats in advance on these flights do you know please?
Yes it is possible to pay for an advance seat reservation. Obviously that cost might bring it close to the price with baggage/seat selection included, but a baggage included ticket would only give free seat selection at OLCI, not before. If you want the seat reserved in advance, and no checked bag, what you propose is the cheapest way to achieve it.

Edited at 05:48 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Yes it is possible to pay for an advance seat reservation. Obviously that cost might bring it close to the price with baggage/seat selection included, but a baggage included ticket would only give free seat selection at OLCI, not before. If you want the seat reserved in advance, and no checked bag, what you propose is the cheapest way to achieve it.
Thank you so much for your help with this, and thank you OP once again
Old 17 Feb 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

We always call special assistance and they have always allocated seats for us free of charge.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List