Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mouse
Very Serious Dibber

mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mazda 2 new brake disc/pads 20k age 3

ShockeD to be told by furrows that my Mazda 2 aged under 3 with 20200 miles needed new front brake discs and pads. Cost over £400 . This feels wrong dealer serviced surely discs should last longer than pads. I have the bits discs are bright and smooths, pads removed in a manner to scratch all bright and shiny. I thought discs lasted longer any suggests feeling they are doing the woman think oh no 20k miles is normal was what service told me.
mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mouse View Post
ShockeD to be told by furrows that my Mazda 2 aged under 3 with 20200 miles needed new front brake discs and pads. Cost over £400 . This feels wrong dealer serviced surely discs should last longer than pads. I have the bits discs are bright and smooths, pads removed in a manner to scratch all bright and shiny. I thought discs lasted longer any suggests feeling they are doing the woman think oh no 20k miles is normal was what service told me.
Might be worth a second opinion, but replacement schedules for parts such as brakes (pads and disks) will totally be down to the way and where it is driven. I have replaced these in cars at 20K miles. And I have done so in cars at 60K.
My OH's BMW X1 had 20K yesterday and will need pads in the next couple of months (all four corners). Fairly heavy car driven pretty much all in town - and hence constantly using brakes.
So that will be a wee job for me to do in a wee while.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mouse
Very Serious Dibber

mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Think it was the discs, expects pads to be replaced before discs?
mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

You have to do them as a pair I was told (pad and disks) otherwise you can cause other issues,
I think dealers are a little over keen - ford told me my focus needed new break pads, for one reason or another i put it off, only tI be told by the independent garage we usually use they were fine a year later (this was at about 20,000 miles) didn’t actually need to get them done till 2 years later! At c. 40,000 miles, but it does depend on driving habits. Defo get a 2nd opinion!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Think it was the discs, expects pads to be replaced before discs?
Normally yes, but not always. Both disks and pads are wearing, consumable components.
Both disks and pads will have a manufacturers specified minimum thickness. The tolerances are different from different manufacturers. Anyone suggesting replacement should have given you the measurements in millimetres for each corner for your disks and pads - if they didn't, I would be getting a new mechanic as this is pretty basic.
I replace pads at 3mm (or maybe slightly before). And if my disks are even close - I will replace these as well.
Brakes are such a critical part of the car as regards safety - I dont take any changes.
The same for tyres. I will only buy top quality tyres and never let them get near the minimum depth - especially in winter.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leggibone View Post
You have to do them as a pair I was told (pad and disks) otherwise you can cause other issues,
I think dealers are a little over keen - ford told me my focus needed new break pads, for one reason or another i put it off, only tI be told by the independent garage we usually use they were fine a year later (this was at about 20,000 miles) didn’t actually need to get them done till 2 years later! At c. 40,000 miles, but it does depend on driving habits. Defo get a 2nd opinion!
You definitely need to get both pads and disks done across an axle. Some sellers wont even allow you buy a single disk - but force you to buy two. Pads always come for the axle (2 wheels) and must all be fitted.
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
You definitely need to get both pads and disks done across an axle. Some sellers wont even allow you buy a single disk - but force you to buy two. Pads always come for the axle (2 wheels) and must all be fitted.
there is no need to replace discs on both wheels only what is required you need to replace pads as a set but again only what is warn breaks adjust to new discs and pads so dont get riped off
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Mazda 2 aged under 3 with 20200 miles needed new front brake discs and pads. This feels wrong dealer serviced surely discs should last longer than pads.
Possibly one, or both, front discs warped.
Garages typically replace in pairs, and generally fit new discs along with new pads.
Any mention of front caliper fault ?
Normally both front calipers are replaced if so.

That type of car could easily cover 50k miles or more on original discs if not faulty.
If you are not original owner maybe your car has covered more than 20200 miles.
Presuming it came from Furrows it is worth querying with management either way.

The price charged is about average.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Been quoted £340 for main dealer front disks and pads on a Kia Soul. I used to drive a Mazda 2 and would get 40k+ miles out of pads, but that'll vary by driving style and roads used so hard to say.
I'll be seeking a second opinion from a local garage as I feel that price is too high.

Edited at 08:27 PM.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

take it elsewhere for a brake disk check

halfords do it for free

halfords/car-repairs...RAKECHECK.html

FWIW price dosnt seem that high for main dealer labour
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List