Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Apr 14, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mollysmom
Getting Excited

FLorida Keys for Kids?

Has been suggested that Florida keys are not suitable for kids - have 2 DD who will be 6 and 11 at age of travel - advice please
mollysmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 14, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post

we visited the keys a few years ago, there was just me and dh, and we liked it but, I wouldn't take kids, some places we found to be a bit seedy, not very suitable for kids imho
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 14, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post

we were there a couple of years ago- it wasn't quite what we expected- a bit more scruffy, the beaches were not all that great- not sure I would return with children- not much else to do than pool/beach and its a heck of a drive from Orlando!
Old 27 Apr 14, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Gulf Coast/Keys

I wouldn't recommend the Keys for kids as there are not many things for kids to do unless they like fishing. Don't get me wrong, the \Keys are fab but I would say the Gulf Coast is more suited to young kids - much better beaches and lots to do. Hope this helps.
Old 27 Apr 14, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree better places on the Gulf for kids. Some of the views on the upper keys are gorgeous but apart from being on the beach not much more to do. This might be of interest it is on Islamorada.

theaterofthesea/

Key West is more of a grown up place not the best beaches as it is deeper water not the shallow aqua of the upper keys. A lot centres around the nightlife and bars,

Alison
Old 27 Apr 14, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Key West is very adult orientated at night with lots of Hen and Stag Parties and the dubious services that cater for adults wishing to have paid for fun but if you are content to stay on the other keys, it's grand for a visit during the day

The Butterfly Sanctuary on Duvall is beautiful. Malory Square is lovely - esp at Sunset and the Southernmost Point is interesting to see

But the rest of the keys have highlights such as Bahia Honda and John Pennenkamp State Parks, Glass Bottomed Boat Tours, Dolphin Swims, the Seven Mile Bridge, etct

The drive over the many many bridges on the keys is the one thing I really wanted to do and that didn't disappoint. Have a look at the "Overseas Highway" on YouTube 👍

But it is very very long tedious drive down to the start of the keys ( Key a Largo) before you are on the Overseas Highway and methinks children and young adults will be better off with a drive to the Gulf Coast

Edited at 08:48 PM.
Old 28 Apr 14, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
dking2001
Excited about Disney

There are 'kid' friendly attractions on the Keys, it depends what your children are into.

We first went there when my children were 6 and 9 and they loved it there. We stayed in Marathon and visited the Turtle Hospital, went snorkelling out on Sombrero Reef, kayaking and days on the beach at Bahia Honda and swam with a sealion at the Theatre of the Sea.

We did drive all the way down to Key West but as mentioned above I did not think it was a great place for children.

We also go to the Gulf Coast and I would agree with others that the beaches there are more numerous and far bigger, it is probably easier to find activities for children to fill a week there (Mote Aquarium at Sarasota, Shark tooth hunting at Venice, shelling on most beaches etc etc).

The Keys do have a different, more isolated, feel than the Gulf Coast and if it is somewhere you really want to visit I'd say go for it as you will find enough for the children to do for a week, you may just have to look that bit harder
dking2001 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 14, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread