Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 10 Jan 13, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KCHO
Very Serious Dibber

Disney do "normal" burgers in buns. You have to ask for a special order but you can get them in most places that do burgers, including water parks.

Publix I think it was did frozen waffles which we bought maple syprup for they were lovely.

We also had gf waffles, muffins etc brought over at our Cystal Palace breakfast in MK, the chef came out and walked us through the buffet explaining what we could and couldn't eat. Disney are FAB!

Whole Food market does quite a lot of GF too. Google to check locations.
Old 16 Jan 13, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post

thank you for thread

Were going September one of our party is a child but is gluten ,wheat and dairy allergic .Another but adult is gluten free and a vegan to boot any tips .Will when do the ts meals adr make sure let them know
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 13, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post

I thought I'd post our experiences of eating with my egg and dairy free daughter (3 years) in mostly counter service restaurants in case it will be of use to anyone.

In general we found that we could find something to eat everywhere though mostly it was the same things again and again because she is a little fussy with unfamiliar foods. She had a lot of the allergy chicken tenders!

Port Orleans Riverside
In our resort they were great, we had faxed them before we travelled to check that they would have foods in for our stay and the sous chef at the resort emailed us back with details of what they have. This was part of the email:

Our Chef’s team at the Riverside Mill Food Court is more than happy to accommodate your daughter’s allergy concerns. We carry several dairy-free/egg –free options. While our available allergy options sometimes change due to business needs, we currently carry the following requested products:
Enjoy Life brand egg-free/dairy-free desserts (cookies, chocolate bars)
Allergy-Free Foods breaded country-fried chicken tenderloins
Rice Dream brand ice cream

We do not currently carry Van’s egg-free/dairy-free waffles, however we are able to accommodate egg and dairy allergies with a dairy-free/egg-free Mickey Mouse waffle. This batter is prepared in-house by our Chef team and cooked on a designated dairy-free egg-free waffle iron. If this is not an acceptable option, I am more than happy to contact our Receiving team to see if the Van’s allergy waffle product is still available in our system.
We also carry rice milk and soy milk should your daughter choose to enjoy either of those as a beverage option.

Each time we asked a server for an allergy meal they would go and get a chef (this didn't happen last year so much happier with the change) who spoke to us about what we could and couldn't have. They then cooked the food separately and brought it out for us. The only thing I'd recommend is to ask for any other meals to be held and kept warm otherwise they will go cold waiting for the allergy meal. Every chef I spoke to was friendly and helpful, felt well looked after at Port Orleans.
Old 22 Jan 13, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Beaches & Cream, Yacht&Beach Club
Here our daughter had a hot dog and fries and Rice Dream ice cream, again the chef came out and was helpful and knowledgeable about his menu. She was over the moon to have ice cream and she was made to feel really special.

Caseys Corner
After the hotdog at Beaches& Cream we tried another at Caseys Corner, they were great and got out all the packaging for me to check myself, both the hotdog and the bun were fine here.

Worth noting that at Africa Outpost in Epcot they said that their hotdogs were egg free but their buns weren't so we checked with each and every place.

Be Our Guest Lunch CS Meal
Here she had the childrens' turkey sandwich, without any butter, mayo or cheese, she was fine with the sweet potato wedges too but didn't like them (fussy child!). This was the only place where a chef didn't come to speak to us, I had to order through the normal server. This made it more difficult as he assumed we wanted to be gluten free and seemed to not understand we needed the regular bread not the GF bread as most GF breads have egg in them.

This happened quite a lot actually, an automatic assumption of being gluten free, and we had to be careful when ordering that we weren't given the 'allergy bread'. A number of times I had a chef say to me 'she can't have X because it has gluten in it' and I had to say 'no, she is fine with gluten, don't give her the gluten free bread it will have egg in it'
Old 22 Jan 13, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Hollywood & Vine Character Breakfast
Here the chef came out to us and was very helpful, he had some Vans waffles she could have and brought out a little bowl of maple syrup fresh so it wouldn't be contaminated from the syrup located directly next to the pancakes and waffles on the main serving bar. She had a nibble of them and they were fine, not fabulous but good enough, though she was so excited by the characters hardly anything else got eaten.
She did had some cereal and they offered soya milk but as she can't have that she just had some water on it, though the waitress thought this was crazy!
To be honest, if you were going because you wanted a great breakfast this would have been a disappointment because she was so limited but we were going to see the characters so we didn't mind. She danced with Jake, Oso, June and Handy Manny so she didn't car that she hadn't eaten anything much. I had a snack in my bag for her that she had an hour later when she realised that she was still starving!

Main Street Confectionery
We wanted to go into this shop to get ourselves one of the chocolate chip cookies but didn't want her to feel left out. I asked at the counter about anything egg and dairy free but just got blank faces. One cast member suggested the Pucker Powder (sherbet in tubes) but not wanting to have to handle my 3 year old surfing a pure sugar high we searched the shelves for something that would be ok. We found that Minnies Bake Shop Assorted Choc & Vanilla character biscuits were fine and that the Kettle Corn popcorn (not the other varieties) were fine.
Old 22 Jan 13, 02:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Pizza Planet, Hollywood Studios
This was one of the best places for service. The chef was really helpful and knew his menu. He offered a cheeseless pizza or a pizza with vegan cheese, he also knew that the allergy GF pizza base (he called it the crest) would have egg in it so double checked that we were fine with the regular base. We chose the cheeseless pizza because she has never had a vegan cheese and we didn't know if she'd like it, be willing to eat it or be ok with it. He gave me a pager to take away and paged me when the special meal was ready so I didn't have to hang around waiting for it, this was a nice change from other places where I have had to wait around. We had ordered her the adult size pizza because she was sharing it with our other daughter so he substituted the caesar side salad for an apple sauce without me needing to ask.

A&W All American Food, Florida Mall
We struggled at Florida mall food court to find anything that she would and could eat. In the end we went for a hot dog as they had been a big hit this holiday. The A&W place was staffed by two young teenage lads and as I approached I was worried they may not be able to answer my questions about the ingredients but I needn't have worried. The server I spoke to went and checked the ingredients and then brought out the packaging because he said he'd be happier if I checked them too in case he missed something. Great service, happy to help.

Will come back and add more if I think of any others!
Old 22 Jan 13, 02:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Les Halles Bakery, Epcot France
This was the only place where they said there was nothing they could offer her, they were friendly and apologetic though. We ordered for us and I gave her a safe snack out of my bag which they were fine with.
Old 24 Jan 13, 04:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Last post now, promise!

Cosmic Rays Starlight Cafe, MK
Here they did a plain grilled chicken breast for us with fries done in the allergy frier. The chicken was really good and was a whole chicken breast even though it was just a childs meal. This was the quickest service we have had for an allergy request meal by far and they were really helpful and friendly too.

Cinderella Royal Table Breakfast, MK
This was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. Because we had an allergy request noted the waiter wasn't able to give us any food at all until a chef had come out. We waited about 20 minutes for a chef and by that time we were hungry and the children were restless. The chef arranged Vans waffles with two little muffins that were fine but nothing special and no better than what we had at Hollywood & Vine at half the price. Because we were so late getting our food we were being served food whilst the princesses came around, unlike the others near us that had arrived at the same time who were nearing the end of their meal and were ready for the characters.
We missed out on the plate of pastries that we were meant to have and we had to flag down a waiter to ask for those, all in all a bit of a flop.
Old 4 Feb 13, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Derryfam
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Guidebook Reviews: 1
This thread is great for me as when we travel in August my friends little boy has galactasemia, dairy allergy. I'm hoping there will be plenty of choice for him!

He loves steak n chips so hoping he will be ok!x
Derryfam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 13, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

My DS has a nut allergy, we are not doing the disney parks , all the others though. Can anyone recommend any restaurant/eaterie that were good for people with this, we are also staying on I drive. Last time we were a bit restricted to Olive Garden and sizzler, mainly due to me being nervous, so any new info would be great, thanks.

Tags
dining, gluten free, special diets