Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 5 Jul 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
I am a member of cruise critic and know what you mean lol. I take your point about paying crew a decent wage so as not to have to rely on tips. Back to the same old, same old, discussion about wait staff in the US and paying them a decent wage for the same reason. How many people would want tips added to there account/bill? Would service then decline. The prices we pay in tips for a decent meal in Disney make my eyes water lol but as you say when in Rome Now when I book anything I just add the gratuities/tip on automatically so I know exactly what it costs. I am a regular visitor to Vegas and nearly all hotels charge a "resort fee". This can be $35 plus tax a day. You cant opt out of paying. Now if the room is $100 a night I just work on $135 a night. Its customary to tip in the US and I just accept that ... or dont go lol
Yes, I know what you mean. Tipping and resort fees are very consistent across the US. Tipping/gratuities across cruise lines and even within cruise lines depending on itinerary is very inconsistent. All my blathering (in a non-heated way) on this thread won’t change a thing, but I do think cruise lines exploit their staff, especially the lowest paid.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Yes, I know what you mean. Tipping and resort fees are very consistent across the US. Tipping/gratuities across cruise lines and even within cruise lines depending on itinerary is very inconsistent. All my blathering (in a non-heated way) on this thread won’t change a thing, but I do think cruise lines exploit their staff, especially the lowest paid.
I totally agree. And it seems to be the ones who work the hardest are the ones that the cruise lines treat the worst.
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andrea1 View Post
Hi JoS. Please forgive me. My comments were not directed at you. You have always been very helpful to us. The link was very helpful, thank you for that.

In hindsight, "Heated" may have been a poor choice. Its just that the original question, to me, anyway, seemed fairly simple and straightforward, but it seemed to have escalated. That was not my intention.

I will think very carefully in future about asking anything such as this.
Sorry if I have upset anyone. But a straightforward question was all it was.
Thanks again
James
Please dont apologize. As you know tipping is a difficult subject to address and for that reason its difficult to give an amount. Last time we ate at Park Fayre in Disney GF, dinner buffet there were 4 of us and it was our treat to pay for some one as it was there first time to Disney. Think it was about $45 each at least and we left a 20% tip. I remember thinking I could feed us for a week for the price of the meal and tip lol and really all the waitress had done was top up our drinks and cleared a few plates. We had to wait in line for the food. My point being at least for the gratuity on Carnival we were treated so very well. I can say with my hand on my heart every single member of staff were amazing. I really hope you have the same experience. As for tipping we tip 20% at restaurants, Uber and the usual, but dont know how you would ever work that out on a meal that you are not paying for at the time. I know others who tip a lot more, others who tip less but thats what we go with if the service is average. In Vegas we leave $4 per day for the housekeeping lady...there are just 2 of us. Maybe the best time to decide is when you have experienced the service and see if you want to tip at all or you will know what you think they deserve?
Please dont take any of this personally as I really do think other posters are just trying to help. Hope you have a wonderful time and I am so very jealous lol
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Andrea1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Please dont apologize. As you know tipping is a difficult subject to address and for that reason its difficult to give an amount. Last time we ate at Park Fayre in Disney GF, dinner buffet there were 4 of us and it was our treat to pay for some one as it was there first time to Disney. Think it was about $45 each at least and we left a 20% tip. I remember thinking I could feed us for a week for the price of the meal and tip lol and really all the waitress had done was top up our drinks and cleared a few plates. We had to wait in line for the food. My point being at least for the gratuity on Carnival we were treated so very well. I can say with my hand on my heart every single member of staff were amazing. I really hope you have the same experience. As for tipping we tip 20% at restaurants, Uber and the usual, but dont know how you would ever work that out on a meal that you are not paying for at the time. I know others who tip a lot more, others who tip less but thats what we go with if the service is average. In Vegas we leave $4 per day for the housekeeping lady...there are just 2 of us. Maybe the best time to decide is when you have experienced the service and see if you want to tip at all or you will know what you think they deserve?
Please dont take any of this personally as I really do think other posters are just trying to help. Hope you have a wonderful time and I am so very jealous lol
Hi. Thanks for your understanding. I appreciate your advice. I may have misinterpreted one of the posts on the thread.
I'm sure we will have a great time and the crew will be friendly and helpful.
Andrea1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List