Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Mar 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kzrr02
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile ESTA help - middle names

Hi. So I’ve done my Estas last October for our trip this year and it’s been approved. Now I can’t remember if I filled in middle names and whether it was needed for the application. When i received my confirmation email,
it only shows name and surname.

Will this be a problem if middle names are required?
kzrr02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I dont think it will be a problem.
Thousands will have traveled to the US with recent ESTAs with no middle name. I suspect the vast majority will be wrong as it isn't at all obvious that middle name is needed.
I haven't heard of anyone being denied travel for this or refused entry.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
roop27
First POST

I believe when I read my application, it asked for ALL given names that are written on your passport. It might be worthwhile logging in again and checking if you can remember the ID etc.
roop27 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Dibbers who have travelled since the change was made, without middle names on their ESTAs, have reported back that they didn't have any problems

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kzrr02
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Dibbers who have travelled since the change was made, without middle names on their ESTAs, have reported back that they didn't have any problems
When was this change made?
kzrr02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

There have been a few threads on this in recent weeks.
I don't think there is a problem if you did the ESTA before the requirement change.
I seem to recall people using "old" ESTA's no problems.
I've not heard of any actual issues with anybody having issues due to a lack of both names. It's more people scared they might hit issues.
Most people that did first name only after the change because they were unaware of the change and were just filling is as per previous ESTAs have been approved as they expected. However the common path seems to be to resubmit with middle names included just to be on the safe side. I can't remember anyone confirming they did first names only after the change, left it as was and confirmed they got in without issue.

If you dig out the old threads or somebody posts links, you can get a better picture as you will undoubtedly pay more attention than I did. My key takeaway was to do ours correctly first time
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
kzrr02
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
I don't think there is a problem if you did the ESTA before the requirement change.
I've not heard of any actual issues with anybody having issues due to a lack of both names. It's more people scared they might hit issues.
Most people that did first name only after the change because they were unaware of the change and were just filling is as per previous ESTAs have been approved as they expected. However the common path seems to be to resubmit with middle names included just to be on the safe side. I can't remember anyone confirming they did first names only after the change, left it as was and confirmed they got in without issue.

If you dig out the old threads or somebody posts links, you can get a better picture as you will undoubtedly pay more attention than I did. My key takeaway was to do ours correctly first time
I took ages doing ours and I can’t remember if I did or did not do middle names or even if it was asked. I’m pretty sure I would have clicked on the little question mark for more info which does
say middle names are required. It’s not showing on the confirmation though.
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post

Even people who have travelled on new ESTAs without middle names have reported having no problems. Thread here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...highlight=Esta

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019

Edited at 06:21 PM.
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kzrr02
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Even people who have travelled on new ESTAs without middle names have reported having no problems. Thread here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...highlight=Esta
Thanks for the link . Both DH and I don’t have middle names, just DS x
Old 2 Apr 19, 03:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hiya l2p, as ESTA accepted first name only for so long I appreciate some may be unconcerned, but with the US enforcing 'no instant ESTA', application must be no later than 72 hours pre-flight; if denied boarding due to ESTA/PP name discrepancy this may cause ESTA re-application issues at the airport, as per a Dibber last year. Unaware his bairns ESTA had expired, he made successful application at the airport but, per the 72 hour rule, US confirmation wasn't instantly sent to airline; boarding denied. Eventually the airline rang the US, they agreed to ESTA confirm, but not in time. Whilst he'd sent remaining family on their flight he/bairn missed it. They were transferred to a later flight that day costing c£1600.

As only the US know if/when they'll enforce ESTA/PP name(s) match it's individual choice whether to re-apply.