Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jan 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
There's no 'black box', there is a '?' alongside some questions which the DHS expect applicants to hover over and read, the 'Sample Passport' diagram/text adjoins the name question, the DHS expect one to take time to read/complete per instruction. My blocker software doesn't change/remove ESTA application layout.

The DHS aren't asking too much in return for approval to travel via the visa waiver program; thoroughly read the application and abide.
Does "one" really need to use that condescending tone on a website that is all about helping people?

I was relying to the poster that suggested a "black box" instantly appears when you enter that field - it didn't - as has already been confirmed by someone else.

Can do without your snotty "advice" thx.

Edited at 06:04 PM.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by johnb View Post
I believe the 'black box' is a fairly recent change.
I get the black box on an iPad, iPhone and PC , just tried it again today.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
Does "one" really need to use that condescending tone on a website that is all about helping people?

I was relying to the poster that suggested a "black box" instantly appears when you enter that field - it didn't - as has already been confirmed by someone else.

I’m that poster and the box does appear on my iPhone, iPad and PC.. The “?” Button has gone softer the latest update. also the big box on the right hand side advises what to do, so that’s an alternative. If one or both of these are ignored then the ESTA may not ne correctly filled in unless the applicant has no middle name.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Why don't they just put name(s) on the form it's ridiculous. Of course someone is making money out of all those redoing their forms she says cynically.
I'm sure no-one has been refused permission to fly - yet - but if it does happen it's going to hit the headlines that's for sure!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Why don't they just put name(s) on the form it's ridiculous. Of course someone is making money out of all those redoing their forms she says cynically.
I'm sure no-one has been refused permission to fly - yet - but if it does happen it's going to hit the headlines that's for sure!
They won’t get refused for that until the authorities announce that they are going to enforce it. From then on new applications would be subject to that rule. It wouldn’t be retrospective.
Old 17 Jan 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

It didn’t appear possibly due to your blocker software as you mentioned earlier ?
Did you try again with that disabled?
Old 17 Jan 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
diddldonna
Apprentice Imagineer

diddldonna's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I nearly went into a panic as did the photo of my passport and it read my details and filled it, but I didn't think to check if it done my middle name.
Anyway it was easy for me to go back in and check with my details and it shows my full name including middle. So if you can't remember if you have done it just go in and check and it should show on the approval bit. Hope that helps someone.

Past Disney world Vacations:
POFQ AUG 2018, OCT 2015 CR, FEB 2013 OKW, SEPT 2010 OKW, NOV 2007 ASM, NOV 2005 ASM, JUNE 2004 Offsite.
diddldonna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 01:16 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Oh dear, as you posted 'I believe this is a non issue only hyped up by a few individuals on this board', others made you DHS update aware. As for my being condescending or snotty, I wasn't, but as I don't want to disappoint let me oblige just a tad... if you can't be chowed to thoroughly read the official ESTA application before completing, and then attempt lame transfer of blame when you realise you haven't abided by DHS rules that's your issue to resolve, not the US, not the DHS, not those advising the update. Yes, the update has yet to be enforced, will it be? Who knows, but whatever the US decide doesn't detract from abiding by the DHS update.
Old 18 Jan 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

The crux of the matter is that the form is broken. Nobody should have to click a question mark next to a box unless they need help, which for first given name most people do not need help, hopefully. They just need to add an 's' to the form. If it wasn't broken there there wouldn't be so many people having problems filling it in. And im talking thousands of people here not one or two.

These threads always get derailed because people panic and come here looking for reassurance but are faced with the same condescending tones "well it's clearly marked", "you should click every single question mark".

The form is broken. Nobody needs to argue about it. We know the official line is enter your middle name.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
The crux of the matter is that the form is broken. Nobody should have to click a question mark next to a box unless they need help, which for first given name most people do not need help, hopefully. They just need to add an 's' to the form. If it wasn't broken there there wouldn't be so many people having problems filling it in. And im talking thousands of people here not one or two.

These threads always get derailed because people panic and come here looking for reassurance but are faced with the same condescending tones "well it's clearly marked", "you should click every single question mark".

The form is broken. Nobody needs to argue about it. We know the official line is enter your middle name.
No one has to click the question mark. There isn't a question mark any more.

Instead, it automatically pops up a message when you put your cursor in the Given Name field telling you all you need to know. The given name field has to match the one in your passport.

Of course, it's up to the individual whether they choose to actually read the information on the form or not. But right now the form isn't broken (and, in my opinion, never was. YMMV).

ETA: This is what pops up as soon as you select the "First (Given) Name" field in the form before typing your name. There is no question mark any more and therefore no need to click it:

It also says at the very top of that section the following:

"Refer to your passport and enter all information in the same format".

That's there permanently and doesn't just pop up. I assume people are doing what it says and entering all information as it appears in their passport - including the given name field.

There's also a box at the side of the form with more information to help people correctly fill in their passport details into this section (it covers other info and not just the given name field). As with all forms, you should be reading that information as well. I'd hope people read all information on forms - and not just the headings - when filling them in.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:18 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List