Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 5 Jan 21, 03:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I don’t think how much the rate is was matters. There isa convention to booking accommodation, regardless of whether it’s a privately owned villa, multi National hotel chain or a B&B that the price quoted is fixed.
A villa owner fallen on hard times isn’t relevant.
If they have chosen to make a business of their holiday home and wish to depart from standard practise that’s up to them but in a competitive market like Orlando and in a depressed holiday economy , it’s not the smartest of business practice as most people will do exactly what the OP did and walk away.

Originally Posted by FDVO View Post
We don't have all the info. In particular, how much was the rate? If it was already a very low rate (given the quality, location and features of the villa) then I can see the merit in this idea. The alternative to being quoted a lower rate with an increase in exceptional circumstances is that the owner could have just quoted a 10% higher rate in the first place. Is that really better? Where I think the owner would need to do though, assuming they didn't (as I said we don't have all the info), is to pre-define what those circumstances are - eg a 10% swing in GBP/USD - rather than it being on a wing and a prayer.

But I do think accusing the owner of being greedy when most owners blatantly don't even cover high running costs even in normal circumstances, let alone the current climate, really is unfair.

Under a year ago there were around 160-170 villas available to rent out on this forum and now there are fewer than 90. Supply of villas, here and generally, especially UK owned villas so that you can pay in £ and avoid exchange rate risk, is way down given high property prices and favourable exchange rates. So the adage of 'there are plenty more fish in the sea' holds true for the owner too, good villas are always in high demand - there is no reason to assume that only one guest will be interested in these dates.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 06:04 AM  
Link to this Post
FDVO
Looking for my Ears

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
There isa convention to booking accommodation, regardless of whether it’s a privately owned villa, multi National hotel chain or a B&B that the price quoted is fixed.
I agree that wouldn't be my modus operandi! There are easier ways of getting a similar outcome. In such a case, it would need to be clear the exact circumstances or reason for the change. (Though this may be spelt out in the T&Cs, we don't know, and I don’t think it’s unheard of for travel agents or middlemen to include not dissimilar caveats deep with their T&Cs if circumstances change, eg if their provider changes the price beyond a certain level)

If the guest had booked with a US owner, it is the price in $ would be 'fixed', but could vary way more than 10% in £.
So in the same way that guests want to protect themselves against exchange rate movements, I'd say it's not unreasonable for an owner to want to do the same.

(But what prompted me to reply wasn't that, and in no way directed at you duchy.)

It was how the owner was called greedy to want to do the same thing that guests do, to protect themselves from rising costs or exchange rate risks. Misguided? Non-standard? Well, the common census seems to both of those seems be yes, and I have no problem with that and wouldn't necessarily disagree. But to call them greedy or dishonest, or any of those sorts of things, is at best very quick to judge, when we know very little about the owner, or worse unfair.

The other thing that prompted me to reply (and again in no way directed at you) is that with this booking not working out I sensed an assumption that the owner is desperate and won't find a booking elsewhere (and maybe even an element of hope that he won't as 'punishment' for daring to suggest such an idea)? With over a year to go, he may be better to wait for a US guest if he is also worried about exchange rate risk, or otherwise find it too difficult to price in the current climate.

No-one has a crystal ball of course. Only time will tell but my gut instinct is that the market is not going to be as depressed as people think for two main reasons (besides the vaccine):
1) I think in the year or two post-lockdown at least there is going to be some pent up demand for holidays! And then hopefully the economy is closer to back to normal by then.
2) The trend towards WFH may mean a fair amount of migration to the Sunshine State from everywhere else in the world (it’s many many people’s dream), which would suppress what is available to vacation renters. I think that's already started to happen as lots of UK vacation owners are selling up and being replaced with people buying homes as their main residence. Will it continue? Who knows? I don't.
FDVO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FDVO View Post
We don't have all the info. In particular, how much was the rate? If it was already a very low rate (given the quality, location and features of the villa) then I can see the merit in this idea. The alternative to being quoted a lower rate with an increase in exceptional circumstances is that the owner could have just quoted a 10% higher rate in the first place. Is that really better? Where I think the owner would need to do though, assuming they didn't (as I said we don't have all the info), is to pre-define what those circumstances are - eg a 10% swing in GBP/USD - rather than it being on a wing and a prayer.

But I do think accusing the owner of being greedy when most owners blatantly don't even cover high running costs even in normal circumstances, let alone the current climate, really is unfair.

Under a year ago there were around 160-170 villas available to rent out on this forum and now there are fewer than 90. Supply of villas, here and generally, especially UK owned villas so that you can pay in £ and avoid exchange rate risk, is way down given high property prices and favourable exchange rates. So the adage of 'there are plenty more fish in the sea' holds true for the owner too, good villas are always in high demand - there is no reason to assume that only one guest will be interested in these dates.
£2600 for 2 weeks low season.

And also to be clear it wasn’t on Reunion / Formosa Gardens / Windsor hills or any of the others that attract very high rates usually.

Edited at 09:00 AM.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Unrealistic rather than greedy might have been a better word.
You have to have a very special and unique product (or a very guliable buyer) to be able to set less favourable terms than the rest of the market.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Also, of the villa owner is trading this, or perhaps other owners who may consider doing this at least it serves as market research 🤣
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Interesting times indeed. In 2019 I paid £250.00 deposit on a villa for 3 weeks.
The private owner was bought out by the management company and they want £1000.00, non refundable for 2021. Back to VRBO.
Old 5 Jan 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Bait and Switch - attract on one rate then hit the renter with extra charges later in the detail. It's sharp practice however you wrap it up.

I wouldn't be surprised to find this owner would be quick to retain deposits for 'damage'.

Throughout Covid we have many examples of good/bad/indifferent businesses that we trust. I think it's pretty clear which category this one falls into.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
steph1
Imagineer

steph1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Ludicrous! Not a way to do business at all. I get there is uncertainty and everyone is trying to protect themselves but come on, this just isn't on. Imagine one of the hotel chains saying oh we'll take your deposit and then before you arrive may increase the cost of your room! Doesn't and wouldn't ever happen. Once deposit is paid then price is locked in. OP - I would run away quickly and not look back, as others have said, there are many other options out there for you.
steph1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
alvin_purple
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
No it’s a uk owner.
As the villa running costs are in $ I could see a UK owner being cautious about fixing a £ price.
Any villa I've booked has always been a fixed $ price.
alvin_purple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by alvin_purple View Post
As the villa running costs are in $ I could see a UK owner being cautious about fixing a £ price.
Any villa I've booked has always been a fixed $ price.
In 17 years I have never and would never book a villa with a fixed $ price. Only book with U.K. owners and a £price fixed at point of booking/deposit.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List